[OB] Oathbringer chapters 31 & 32

Mestiv

4 minutes ago, Amended said:

How did Kaladin’s windbreaking work? It wasn’t one of his normal surge, so did he invest in windspren?

For that matter, can all spren be in infused to cause various effects?

Well. His surges are pressure and gravity. Pressure could mess with the wind in interesting ways. As could gravity. But I suspect he created a pressure bubble beyond the capacity of the highstorm to overcome. 

Edit. I am wrongish. It's adhesion(I remember it being air pressure for some reason. A Suction effect.) 

But I stand by the idea. He stuck the wind to a spot in the air. 

Edited by Aminar

weird...it was almost like the windspren were attracted to his focused burst of stormlight.  I don't know what to make of that.

Sebarial makes me laugh. Even when he's not on screen.

Hooray for Jasnah's return! 

Just now, dantlee said:

Is Kaladin's control of the storm the "special ability" for windrunners (Brandon has mentioned every order has a unique effect from mixing surges)? 

No, that's the strength of his Squires. This appears to be a normal thing we just haven't seen before.

It may be pedantic but the difference between spren bonding, and voidspren fusing I think is significant!

Of course it probably has to do with the parshmen's connection to the cognitive realm, but still! 

Fusing....

It opens up a lot more ideas,

And voidlight, where is its source of investiture coming from!!!

Edited by PunSpren
punctuation

1 minute ago, PunSpren said:

It may be pedantic but the difference between spren bonding, and voidspren fusing I think is significant!

Of course it probably has to do with the parshmen's connection to the cognitive realm, but still! 

Fusing....

It opens up a lot more ideas,

And voidlight where is its source of investiture coming from!!!

I was thinking the same thing. With Surgebinding Oaths are involved and both parties essentially offer consent. I think with the Fused the void Spren more or less takes over and is in control.

JASNAH IS BACK!!!!!  I f@#$ing love Jasnah.  I've been waiting for her return, damnation you have no idea.

And that doesn't manage to overshadow Kaladin yelling at the storm, the storm listening, and him using windspren to part the storm and direct the winds.  I lost it, squeeing to myself when the windspren wrapped around his arm, thinking we were getting shardplate, and that it had been said we would not get plate this book.  But this was almost as good, and maybe a little better.  He shaped the storm.

The end to his journey with the Listeners was abrupt and really saddened me.  I was hoping for more.  But it was poignant.  Be better than we were.  I was never your captivve, and I am not your enemy.  Be better.

Then the fused.  It sounds like there are a few more forms than at the Everstorm.  The Stormforms could not fly.  So that is scary.

The yellow spren is named Yixli.  And she vetted Kaladin.  THAT is interesting.  

Also, I laughed at Syl's slightly jealous slapping of the Gloryspren.

Syl took on the form of a person just so she could glower at the little bobbing balls of light. “Mine,” she said, swatting one of them aside.

I love that he came back.  That he tried to help the people.  And that he tried to be diplomatic with the guards.  "Do you want to fight me? No? Good.  I don't want to fight you.  I just want these people, and yours to be safe.,

Shallan's chapter was short, and a bit of a let down, except Jasnah arrived.  So part two opens with a reunion, possibly with all our heroes, Dalinar, Kaladin, Shallan, Jasnah, Renarin, Adolin and Navani in a vision quest, seeing what they face?

Great last couple chapters! Really excited for the book. Did not expect Jasnah to show up so early. That's going to lead to some wonderful interactions as she realizes what everyone has been up to while she's been gone.

Thought of something during Kaladin's escape: The Voidbringers/The Fused seem to mimic the powers of Radiants. That made me think about what kind of Radiant the previous type of Voidbringer could be imitating. I humbly propose that they were imitating dust bringers, and that they give us an idea of what a dust bringer's powers look like.

2 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Voidlight: Confirmed. Gavilar's sphere doesn't hold an Unmade; it's the blackish-purple Investiture that the Fused were using. I don't see how anyone can still think it holds an Unmade.

Good Yellow Spren: Disproven. There's no way that good guy spren would be working with the Fused.

The Fused: Interesting that two of them have a Form of Power with Lashings. I wonder if they have a second Surge, or if they just have gravitation? I don't think every Form of Power is tied to a Surge or a Radiant Order; Stormform doesn't do anything that would match with a Surge. Oh, and the name "the Fused" must mean that they have bonded, or fused, with a Voidspren. Where the other Listeners don't have an actual bond, they're just following orders.

Gloryspren: Was it just a funny image of Syl bashing away the gloryspren? Or is there a Radiant spren like them?

Windspren: That is an ability I don't think we've seen any hints of. Although, maybe there were some hints of it in recent art (Jezrien has a bunch of windspren spinning around him, one of the dudes in the Oathgate map might be doing the same thing).

Unmade: Shallan's musings match the line from Rlain about them being people once. Could it be a Vessel of a Splinter? Or is it something more like Hemalurgy, where an existing spiritweb has been manipulated (not necessarily through the practice of Hemalurgy) to remove intelligence and create something inhuman?

Voidlight: This may well be confirmation of one of my very first 17th Shard theories. Before I even knew what Unmade were, I suggested that Gavilar's sphere held voidlight (or Odilight).

Good Yellow Spren: I doubted they were ever good guy spren. It makes sense though - Kaladin used to get Syl to go find other members of Bridge 4 while in the chasms. The Anti-Radiant could be doing the same with his/her yellow spren.

The Fused: Listener equivalent of Radiant, I'm guessing.

Gloryspren: Brilliant, throwaway line. Yes, Gloryspren are connected to one of the orders of Radiant, it's in the pictures that were released a few weeks ago, of the four Heralds. One has Lifespren, one has Windspren, one has nothing (apparently, but I suspect the shards of crystal are Creationspren), and the last has Gloryspren. I don't think they are the Spren that are bonded by the Radiants, but are the 'lesser cousins' of the bonded Spren (which I believe will make up their Plate, when they get it). In fact, on the subject of their Plate...

Windspren: Precursor to Kaladin getting his Plate, I'm guessing.

17 minutes ago, Steeldancer said:

Oh gosh. Kaladin broke wind. 

And in the process perhaps discovered how shardplate is made. The windspren gathering around his arm made me to expect him standing in Plate soon. Well, that did not happen, but I think this is hinting at it.

Oh, and we finally saw Voidlight in action.

Syl jealous of gloryspren. "He is mine!" Hilarious ;)

Kaladin making demands of the Stormfather. Go for it!

And a lot of philosophical questions. I am looking forward to the resulting discussion.

Now work calls. :(

Edited by Pattern

1 minute ago, Faceless Mist-Wraith said:

Great last couple chapters! Really excited for the book. Did not expect Jasnah to show up so early. That's going to lead to some wonderful interactions as she realizes what everyone has been up to while she's been gone.

Thought of something during Kaladin's escape: The Voidbringers/The Fused seem to mimic the powers of Radiants. That made me think about what kind of Radiant the previous type of Voidbringer could be imitating. I humbly propose that they were imitating dust bringers, and that they give us an idea of what a dust bringer's powers look like.

Which previous type?

I had to skip lunch to read these chapters.Worth it.

Stormfather is so lovable and grumpy.(Syl is best spren though)

Now we have radiants of six of the orders in Urithiru.

Waiting a month to continue to read is going to kill me.

Edited by Idealistic

My mental image for Syl swatting the Gloryspren is mildly complex, and amusing, to me at least.  She took human form, and swatted at an annoying, glow-y blob of light that was bobbing around Kaladin's head.

My imagination sees the spoiler below, but with different text.

Spoiler

Thoughts (last time I'm typing a list like this):

-I loved Kaladin saving people from the storm. Beautiful scene.

-The parshmen Kaladin abandoned will come back and haunt him. Either they will die as a punishment for his actions, or they will return as extremely angry Voidbringers.

-Speaking of Void, those flying Infused has to be using Voidbinding. Voidbindings version of Gravitation I guess.

-The yellow spren liked Kaladin. Huh.

-Humans helping the free parshmen are not unheard of. Wonder if Kaladin will find old slave friends with the Voidbringers. 

-Kaladin returned to Urithiru. Huh. Looking forward to see his reactions to Malata, Sadeas, Highprince Amaram and Re-Shepir.

-Jasnah is back. So much for roadtripping with Hoid. Hopefully he got to Urithiru too.

Wow, what an exciting climax for part 1. It is going to drive me insane having to wait for next week to get to part 2 and see everyone's reactions to Jasnah being alive.

Also, I am going to have a hard time reading the Interludes when all I will want is too see all our known Radiants finally gathered together (excluding Lift)

Just now, Unknowingly said:

Wow, what an exciting climax for part 1. It is going to drive me insane having to wait for next week to get to part 2 and see everyone's reactions to Jasnah being alive.

Also, I am going to have a hard time reading the Interludes when all I will want is too see all our known Radiants finally gathered together (excluding Lift)

We need lift