[OB] Tor Spoiler Free Oathbringer review

Blightsong

There are moments of victory where I whooped with joy

Is this a clue that Parts 2-5 continue to use the word "whooped", enough that it was pushed to the front of the reviewer's vocabulary? Because I noticed it enough in Part 1.

I did not think this review was spoiler-free, to be honest.  Aside from the Dalinar remembering part (which is a huge spoiler considering how shocking his sudden remembrance was when reading normally), it implies that Kaladin will spend a lot of time in a war zone, which is huge when you consider where we find him now, travelling with the group of escaped parshmen.  We now know that he definitely does not spend the rest of the book doing diplomacy!  

9 minutes ago, NinjaAlligators said:

I did not think this review was spoiler-free, to be honest.  Aside from the Dalinar remembering part (which is a huge spoiler considering how shocking his sudden remembrance was when reading normally), 

I considered this too. It might have to do with the fact that it is revealed early in the book, and thus the reviewer feels that it isn't a spoiler. Same thing as (Thor: Ragnarok spoilers:

Spoiler

Reviewers revealing that Hela is Thors sister, something we learn early on in the movie.

I stopped reading review here

These memories stack layer by layer until they reach their natural conclusion: Dalinar must come face to face with the man he was, and decide what kind of man he wants to be. It is a gorgeous moment, and Sanderson knocks it out of the park.

Its an extremely spoiler review id say. Not only author spoiled the return of Dalinar's memory, he also confirmed the conclusion of Dalinar's arc. While its pretty logical conclusion i dont want someone else to confirmed it like this.

I suggest the site to tell everyone no to read it because i assume many peopel will share my experience. 17th shard review was much much much better.

Oh c'mon ! We probably got more spoilers disscusing in the chapters threads every week than this review ! I think the most spoilery thing was the mention of something big happen somewhere near the half. But let's be real, it was a quite harmless review. If you are so sensitive to consider those spoilers, I don't think you should be on the internet so close the launch of the book. Sorry if I sound mean or harsh, but I really think the review was great. It hit its purpouse, for me at least : to raise more excitement and anticipation without giving anything away, but at the same time saying something more than just "Oathbringer is great" (which we all now it will be) . I don't consider it said more than a blurb would say. 

Edited by mariapapadia

2 hours ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

"There was one moment halfway through the book where I stopped everything, and my heart flew to my throat in disbelief at what Sanderson had just done."

I can't imagine such a reaction unless someone dies or turns evil/is forcibly controlled via forced removal and replacement of a bond.

Thought the same thing so who's going to die :(

Sincerely, those reviews are killing me because I interpret each and everyone of them as: "Adolin either has no story arc at all and sinks into the background or I'll hate what Brandon will do to him". 

I am pretty sure I'll be fine with anything else, but this one thing.

Oh come on. I know my view of spoilers is a bit peculiar, but here it goes: if it is well written (which it will be) it won't matter if we have the whole book spoiled cover to cover. We will still love it, for the feelings, the emotions, the characters, etc. Been perfectly honest WoK and WoR are books that I love more every time I read them, so I don't see why OB will be any different :P

3 minutes ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

Maybe Nalan or Szeth. As I have zero intention of ever forgiving Amaram or T even if they save Roshar and single handedly defeat Odium.

1 minute ago, Necessary Eagle said:

Szeth?

I find it interesting that Szeth didn't even cross my mind. I wonder if it's because I see him more as a victim than a villain? Clearly, he's done evil things, but he's also broken. Naln, Taravangian, and Amaram had full control of their morality and minds when they made their choices. It's a weak argument, but I still hold by Szeth being a victim of men more brutal than him.

4 hours ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

I can't imagine such a reaction unless someone dies or turns evil/is forcibly controlled via forced removal and replacement of a bond.

It could be an explicit and completely gratuitous sex scene. I mean, not really. But I'm going to pretend that's what it is, because it will stall my brain from reasoning out who's at most risk of dying, etc. Only 8 more days!

5 hours ago, Isaiah Zayth said:

I find it interesting that Szeth didn't even cross my mind. I wonder if it's because I see him more as a victim than a villain? Clearly, he's done evil things, but he's also broken. Naln, Taravangian, and Amaram had full control of their morality and minds when they made their choices. It's a weak argument, but I still hold by Szeth being a victim of men more brutal than him.

I'd argue that it isn't entirely clear that Naln isn't broken, too. I think there's pretty good evidence that none of the Heralds currently have "full control of their morality and minds", unless you're talking about during the prelude.

Edgedancer spoiler

Spoiler

Lift hugging him and then something visibly changing in him suggests to me that there is more going on than we thought.

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Tor Spoiler Free Oathbringer review

I gotta say, there is nothing that is overtly spoilery in that review and I'm a bit confused as to the amount of people who are outraged about it. People here are picking it apart, but if - quite honestly - you count vague mentions of cryptic events in the book as 'spoilers', don't read any review; even if it is spoiler-free. I'd imagine giving a spoiler-free review is a bit of a tricky art considering all you'd want to do is talk about what happens, so teasing what happens is really the only thing you can do. If you're wanting a review completely devoid of anything that people are complaining about as 'spoilers', you'd likely get this:

"It was really good, go read it."

7 hours ago, Marethyu316 said:

I'd argue that it isn't entirely clear that Naln isn't broken, too. I think there's pretty good evidence that none of the Heralds currently have "full control of their morality and minds", unless you're talking about during the prelude.

Edgedancer spoiler

Hide contents

Lift hugging him and then something visibly changing in him suggests to me that there is more going on than we thought.

Before that interaction with Lift, Naln built up a river's worth of guilt he continually shoved down by telling himself the "ends justify the means". As soon as Lift opens his eyes to the Everstorm, the dam breaks and all that guilt floods in. So while I would agree that Naln is currently broken, I don't think he was broken before that crucial meeting with Lift.

Edited by Isaiah Zayth
Grammar

• Chaos locked this topic