[OB] Shallan V Re-Shepnir

Steeldancer

Yeah, it trying to sunder the Bonds and corrupt her was momentarily terrifying.  Also, Re-Shepir KNOWS her now.  Inside and out.  Every detail.

I think the next time we see Re-Shepir, the midnight essences will be far more detailed, and be all the faces of Shallan.

15 minutes ago, Stark said:

Yeah, it trying to sunder the Bonds and corrupt her was momentarily terrifying.  Also, Re-Shepir KNOWS her now.  Inside and out.  Every detail.

I think the next time we see Re-Shepir, the midnight essences will be far more detailed, and be all the faces of Shallan.

Or her family, that would be far worse for her, seeing her mother with burned out eyes, her father strangled, her brother with a ruined leg, and whatever else she still suppresses, that would be way worse for her.

I almost feel bad for Re-Shepir.  It's a corrupted creationspren, born with an evil purpose as a chunk of Odium's power.  Yet it has an almost childlike curiousity about humanity.  

Maybe if Shallan could put on a full-time lightweaving play it would just sit and watch in fascination forever :P

20 minutes ago, Stark said:

Yep, I think there are going to be alt-versions of Veil, Radiant and others we do not yet know running about Urithiru now.

And Shallan's ultimate confrontation with them will probably lead to another oath, or at least some confrontation with her multiple personality problem.

Pattern whimpered, huddled against Shallan in his shape of a man with a stiff robe and a moving pattern for a head. She tried to shield him from the onslaught.

Did this give anyone else all the feels?

This battle was awesome on multiple levels. I really want to know the story of the Midnight Mother's previous confrontation with a Lightweaver. 

Speaking of which:

The imprisonment had been unexpected, presumed impossible.

Anyone think this is related to Gavilar's black spheres and other trapped, ancient spren?

Edited by Scriptorian

14 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

I almost feel bad for Re-Shepir.  It's a corrupted creationspren, born with an evil purpose as a chunk of Odium's power.  Yet it has an almost childlike curiousity about humanity.  

Well more than a corrupted spren it seems to be a being developed on the same line of a Creationspren but deeply different from the starting point (it is a splinter of Odium after all)

8 minutes ago, Yata said:

Well more than a corrupted spren it seems to be a being developed on the same line of a Creationspren but deeply different from the starting point (it is a splinter of Odium after all)

Roshar is composed of the 10 fundamental forces/spren.  Syl is a windspren but with a chunk of Honor's power attached granting her sentience and special power.  Pattern is a creationspren with a chunk of Cultivation.  This Unmade seems to be a creationspren with a very large chunk of Odium's power attached to it.

6 minutes ago, Scriptorian said:

Anyone think this is related to Gavilar's black spheres and other trapped, ancient spren?

Unmade in a box!  But yeah, I definitely think it's hinting at that.

What makes me curious is that Re-Shephir had been trapped before.  I highly doubt it was actually in Gavilar's sphere, as I'm expecting to see it break when it does, but Shallan did say it was hundreds of years ago.

I do wonder then, what if there were previous desolations that were caused by men as well?  We know Gavilar wanted to return Parshendi gods so that the heralds would return, so is it possible that other desolations started in a similar manner?

4 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

Roshar is composed of the 10 fundamental forces/spren.  Syl is a windspren but with a chunk of Honor's power attached granting her sentience and special power.  Pattern is a creationspren with a chunk of Cultivation.  This Unmade seems to be a creationspren with a very large chunk of Odium's power attached to it.

This is a theory not a fact.

Syl could be a Spren forged/influenced in the same way of a windspren without be an enpowered windspren

20 minutes ago, Scriptorian said:

Speaking of which:

You would think that the KR would essentially hunt down and trap all the Unmade. Yet the black spheres are tied to the parshendi Gods instead.

This makes me wonder if Szeth ever recovered the black sphere.

Before the Diagram found him, he had it hidden in Jah Keved. But I could totally see him hiding it in Urithiru later, once he started travelling internationally again. It's the safest place he knew, after all. He's the only character we know had access to Urithiru and it seems like more than a coincidence that he is also one of the few people who could have possessed the captured Re Shepnir. 

5 minutes ago, Tarion said:

Before the Diagram found him, he had it hidden in Jah Keved. But I could totally see him hiding it in Urithiru later, once he started travelling internationally again. It's the safest place he knew, after all. He's the only character we know had access to Urithiru and it seems like more than a coincidence that he is also one of the few people who could have possessed the captured Re Shepnir. 

I don't think the sphere's been broken yet, I think Brandon would have updated us if it had.  I think we'll know when it's broken in more explicit terms.

3 minutes ago, ScavellTane said:

Are we forgetting Amaram's precious cargo?? Could he have set her loose?

The first copycat killing occurred before Amaram arrived, so I doubt it.  Honestly, I think it's likely that it sneaked in after the battle at the end of WoR.  Re-Shephir probably went to Narak when it sensed the parshendi bond the stormspren, then followed the humans to Urithuru.

8 minutes ago, Tarion said:

This is actually a very cool idea. 

1 minute ago, Patrick Star said:

The first copycat killing occurred before Amaram arrived, so I doubt it.  Honestly, I think it's likely that it sneaked in after the battle at the end of WoR.  Re-Shephir probably went to Narak when it sensed the parshendi bond the stormspren, then followed the humans to Urithuru.

Yea that, we know the other Unmade was drawn there too.

1 hour ago, Steeldancer said:

Also, her future arc with this sadly ruined library...

I feel like this isn't the end of that library. I wonder if Progression can heal more than just living tissue? For example, if there's a decayed book, it might still think of itself as a book in the CR or have an ideal state in the SR, and maybe Progression can use either to make it whole again.

Edited by Salkara

23 minutes ago, Patrick Star said:

Amaram arrived in Urithiru before the highstorms returned. That would mean he was amongst the first batch of people, before they ran out of stormlight - ie before Shallan's first POV chapter. So he should have arrived before the first copycat murderer. Even if he was there it doesn't prove he released it of course - I can't imagine why he would want to release it in a place that he was staying.

It's interesting to note at least that the text doesn't say for sure that this Unmade wasn't trapped in Urithiru that I can see - just trapped somewhere in general. There isn't a sense of what kept it in Urithiru if it was indeed trapped in Urithiru either.

3 minutes ago, Canucck said:

It seemed important that Shallan used her safehand for the fight. Hopefully this leads to some more explanation of why they cover it, instead of it just be a weird tradition.

I've always wanted to ask Brandon if this tradition is more than just a strange form of modesty, if there is some functionality attached to it. All scientifically recorded modes of modesty spring from some sort of semi-logical basis. This is the first evidence I've seen that this Alethi tradition has more meat to it than just a strange quirk that Brandon thought up.