[OB] Reviving the Spren without the Radiant

TheOneKEA

I’ve been contemplating what the Dysian Aimian said to the Soulcasting savant in that dark place in one of the interludes:

“I cannot speak,” the cook said. “Even to sate a dying demand. There are those who can pull secrets from your soul, and the cost would be the ends of worlds. Sleep now soulcaster. This is the most merciful end I can give.”

[/quote]

We have extensive WoBs which state that the revival of a dead sprenblade requires the original Radiant who bonded the spren. However, we also know that the Spiritual Realm is a weird place that retains Connections to and from everything that has ever existed in the Cosmere. I have a theory that reviving a dead sprenblade requires the use of strongly Spirtual magic (maybe even the Adhesion Surge?) to find the Connection between the spren’s soul and the dead Radiant’s soul, and modify it in a manner that heals the breakage and allows the spren to return to normal. This is based on the Dysian Aimian’s belief that even a dead person’s soul is accessible in some way by those who know what they’re doing, and we also have some WoBs which suggest that Bondsmiths have special skills in this area.

I haven’t done a lot of searching in the forums yet; has this been discussed already?

Edited by TheOneKEA

Thanks for the link. 

After reading it in context it sounds more like a death rattle issue. With the death rattles the person briefly sees into the future. While the followers of the diagram are mining them for information there's a possibility that others are using them as well. Otherwise why would one of the Unmade cause them?

If she knew the secret of Aimia, then such a being could mine her soul for information as she passed beyond.

"-the cost would be the ends of worlds"

This is my first time seeing this interlude piece, and I think that part of the sentence has some serious implications. 

Anyway, back to the topic at hand lol. As far as repairing a Spiritual Connection, I think the best bet would be either a Lightweaver, Willshaper, or Elsecaller. As that's who we've been told had the most knowledge/power in the Shadesmar. The next obvious step would be being able to interact with the Spiritual side of things. Maybe once Shallan learns another Ideal or gains more experience, she'll "see" the connection between Adolin and his blade as well as the connection between the dead spren and dead radiant and thus be able to heal it an revive the spren?  

Source:

As to the other orders that were inferior in this visiting of the far realm of spren, the Elsecallers were prodigiously benevolent, allowing others as auxiliary to their visits and interactions; though they did never relinquish their place as prime liaisons with the great ones of the spren; and the Lightweavers and Willshapers both also had an affinity to the same, though neither were true masters of that realm. 

Edited by Kered

14 hours ago, Cowmanthethird said:

Its from the Oathbringer 'Soulcaster Savant' interlude that was read a while back.

The only transcription I can find is here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/Stormlight_Archive/comments/6brw0p/oathbringer_spoilers_new_oathbringer_interlude/

The quote is near the end.

Cool stuff. I like Kaza.

9 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

The scenes that were read at conventions do count as released chapters of Oathbringer, and are fair game for discussion without spoiler tags in this board.

Okay thanks, is there somewhere this was stated? Just so I can look at such things in future so as not to accidentally be somewhere I'll get spoilered.

5 hours ago, Salkara said:

If your goal is just reviving the dead spren, I don't think you need to permanently repair the Connection, just simulate it long enough (Feruchemical duralumin should be able to do it). Here's my post from earlier today:

This is a very good theory, and I think this is very plausible. But for story reasons I think we’ll be shown a method of reviving dead sprenblades using Rosharan magic only.

I personally believe if there is a methodology to revive dead sprens, then it is not longer "impossible" ,without the original knight. For this reason, I never really thought magic was the answer. If it were, the it opens the door for all dead-Blades to be revived and then it becomes no longer impossible nor hard nor improbable.

I thus do not personally subscribe to theories wanting hemalurgy or feruchemy needing to be used to "force" a dead-Blade to re-awaken. It feels forced and my thoughts were it ought to be more "natural", something extremely unlikely to happen, not something everyone could do with the right tools.

39 minutes ago, maxal said:

I personally believe if there is a methodology to revive dead sprens, then it is not longer "impossible" ,without the original knight. For this reason, I never really thought magic was the answer. If it were, the it opens the door for all dead-Blades to be revived and then it becomes no longer impossible nor hard nor improbable.

I thus do not personally subscribe to theories wanting hemalurgy or feruchemy needing to be used to "force" a dead-Blade to re-awaken. It feels forced and my thoughts were it ought to be more "natural", something extremely unlikely to happen, not something everyone could do with the right tools.

Except that pretty much everything about Hemalurgy is "forced." It's not a very kind magic system. Also, I was just trying to come up with a way that a spren could revived within the confines of Realmatics. I don't think we'll see my method used in SA.

1 hour ago, TheOneKEA said:

This is a very good theory, and I think this is very plausible. But for story reasons I think we’ll be shown a method of reviving dead sprenblades using Rosharan magic only.

Agreed. This isn't how Adolin can or will revive his blade. It's just a method that could work according to my understanding of cosmere magics.

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Reviving the Spren without the Radiant
  • 7 months later...

This is something I’ve been  thinking about to for a way long time. We know from OB that stormfather said there wasn’t no way for them spren to be revived and to bring them back to life. But clearly as is shown by dalinar creating Honor’s perpendicularity and accessing investiture from the spiritual realm, they’re breaking new ground in what’s possible and what’s not. So I think if it’s  possible for a bondsmith to do what Dalinar did, which surprised Stormfather, it’s within the realm of possibility for the swords to be revived. I thought it was really interesting that after their experience together in Shadesmar, he’s able to communicate with Maya on even a small level and she can tell him her name. My explanation is just that after their time in Shadesmar, there was a higher level of connection. And that’s allowing for more of some kind of extremely low level basic Nahel bond. Kind of like when Kaladin could talk to Syl before he had sworn the first ideal. I don’t know what kind of spren Maya would be, but it would make sense, since spren, and especially honorspren are creations or at least results of the presence of Honor and Cultivation. I think somehow, that Honor’s remnants being present in the bond between Dalinar and Stormfather will allow for the resurrection of the sprenblades.

Maya is a Cultivationspren, like Wyndle. This means that her dead radiant was an Edgedancer. For Adolin to revive her, and take the place of the dead radiant, he would need to swear and live up to the ideals of the Elsecallers. Those ideals are "I will remember those who have been forgotten" and "I will listen to those who have been ignored". Adolin can be seen beginning to fulfill this role throughout the books. For example, when he helps the prostitute in Sadeas' War Camp in front of Kaladin and when he visits Dalinar's Rhyshadium after his dies and Dalinar isn't around. 

When a Radiant dies he takes a piece of the spren's spirit web with them to the Beyond, But because the spirit realm also have spiritwebs for different versions of people living different lives, you could probably use a simluated spiritweb to find the missing piece of the spren's spiritweb.

3 hours ago, MountainKing said:

When a Radiant dies he takes a piece of the spren's spirit web with them to the Beyond, But because the spirit realm also have spiritwebs for different versions of people living different lives, you could probably use a simluated spiritweb to find the missing piece of the spren's spiritweb.

I don't think it actually damages the spren's spiritweb if the Radiant dies, only if the oaths are broken. It's painful for them when somebody they are bonded to dies but it's not actually damaging.

42 minutes ago, Trellium said:

From Edgedancer, Wyndle to Lift:

“Mistress, please don’t get yourself killed. It would be traumatic. Why, I think it would take me months and months to get over it!”

That's the opposite, where the Radiant dies and the spren lives.  When oaths are broken though, the spren dies.

1 hour ago, Journey Before Pancakes said:

That's the opposite, where the Radiant dies and the spren lives.  When oaths are broken though, the spren dies.

I was just making sure it was clear that it was not the case that:

11 hours ago, MountainKing said:

When a Radiant dies he takes a piece of the spren's spirit web with them to the Beyond

• Chaos locked this topic