Listener Rhythms

Wreith

Can our new Radiants hear the Rhythms to some extent?

I ask because, towards the end of WoR, there are a couple of conversations with Shen/Rlain.

One where Dalinar is interrogating him and one at the end where Bridge 4 is waiting on Kaladin to return.

Both Dalinar and Kaladin have internal monologue about sensing an emotion behind the words.

I'm not in a position to look up exact quotes at the moment. I will add when i get the chance.

Now I'm wondering if the Rhythms are a part of Roshar and always behind the scenes for everyone. And then if becoming a Radiant increases your connection to the planet so they can possibly be heard.

Are Parshendi naturally better connected than humans? That would support the theory that [not all] Rosharan humans are native to Roshar.

If this has possibly been brought up before, please link.

8 hours ago, thejopen27 said:

No, I just think he's now more animated than when he was as dullform. I don't think it is anything other than them interpreting his emotions as they would a human

but it points directly to the rhythm. 

He said this to a different beat, and Kaladin thought he could sense pain in that voice

What I'd be more interested in is how the Listeners hear / feel the rhythms. It seems obvious to me that Listeners and Alethi (+ other "humans") have different hearing ranges. Does the Listener humming sound like music to themselves?

32 minutes ago, Vissy said:

What I'd be more interested in is how the Listeners hear / feel the rhythms. It seems obvious to me that Listeners and Alethi (+ other "humans") have different hearing ranges. Does the Listener humming sound like music to themselves?

I don't think the rhythms are music exactly. just a beat. speaking to them is described as a chant. and they don't their songs too the beat of the rhythms. 

Edited by Wreith

3 minutes ago, thejopen27 said:

Can you tell a sad song from a happy song? Even in Way of Kings, Dalinar and Adolin think about the mournful song the Listeners sing while they lay dying, and Kaladin recognizes the angry song they sing when he wears the bones. 

meh. maybe that's all it is, but Dalinar and Kaladin are so far the only ones to comment that way. And the way it's worded both times seem to call special attention to it. 

11 hours ago, Wreith said:

meh. maybe that's all it is, but Dalinar and Kaladin are so far the only ones to comment that way. And the way it's worded both times seem to call special attention to it. 

Have a chat with your friends and family sometime. You might know them well enough to notice sadness in their voice, or joy/etc.. Parshendi rhythms seem like an equivalent, where the cadence of the voice conveys an emotion.

Dalinar and Kaladin are the only ones to notice because they are the few who care(and they have the PoV where others don't)

On 10/8/2017 at 10:18 AM, Vissy said:

I have been wondering the same lately.  And I'm beginning to think the rhythms they hear are from the cognitive realm.  I think WoR mentions that the Listeners are more connected to the cognitive realm than humans, maybe that is where the rhythms come from, like a certain wavelength coming from the cognitive realm that only they can hear. 

7 hours ago, menacekop said:

And I'm beginning to think the rhythms they hear are from the cognitive realm.

Edit: I found the WoB. The Rhythms are of the Spiritual Realm

Q: Could a Soother prevent a listener from attuning a given rhythm?
A: No. A coppercloud could, but I hadn't thought about emotional allomancy interacting. See, the rhythm isn't your emotion and doesn't determine your mood. It is a direct connection to the spiritual realm. So I guess soothing could make it harder just like it makes anything harder, in the same way that driving a car would be harder. [recording starts here] And so, for the same reasons that you can, um, it is possible that a coppercloud can play with it.  Not a normal power of a coppercloud, but you’ve seen them do stuff similar.

Edited by The One Who Connects

Oh rhythms. Allow me to dump wobs on you. I love the rhythms 

Yulerule: ...the parshendi didn’t have the emotions like Contempt, Ridicule [etc. before the Everstorm?]
A: They did have those emotions, but they didn’t match them to the Rhythms the same way. A wide variety of emotions can be matched to a rhythm. It doesn’t mean they didn’t have those emotions.
Yulerule: So you are saying that, like Ridicule is a new version of Amusement, they could have used ridicule but say it to Amusement? [...]
A: Yes.
Yulerule: And that’s a harsher form, Ridicule?
A: That is just how the rhythms are named. I’ll leave it to your interpretation whether they are harsher or not. A rhythm is just a beat. Whether it is harsh or not depends on the interpretation of the person listening to it. But yes, you could have ridiculed people to Amusement before.
Yulerule: But you have new rhythms.
A: You have new rhythms which have a different feel to them.

"Q: Quick question: I had a hard time ""hearing"" the Parshendi's singing in my head while reading The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance. Are there any real world examples you drew from you could give me so we have a better idea of what they sound like to you?

A: It was tough, as I didn't want to constrain their language in English to a certain rhythm, as I felt it would be too gimmicky on the page. I used Hindu chants in my head, though, so that might help."

"Q: Hypothetically, if all of the Listeners were to go extinct would the Rhythms still exist?

A: Yes.

Q: Are there any other species in the cosmere that also interact with the Rhythms like the listeners do? (Though not necessarily in the same way?)

A: Yes."

59dd8a9609db9_Aethenothsreport.thumb.jpg.b2dcbae337714f036148a73d6d6d08bc.jpg

Q: If you took a Parshendi... If a Parshendi was born beyond Roshar and never visited it, could they sense the Rythms?
A: You mean Rosharan...
Q: I mean, just generally Rythms.
A: Well, Rythms are... it's something that permeates the Cosmere, and just manifests in a different way on Roshar.
Q: Oh, so is it the same thing that Soothers and Rioters are using?
A: Well, now you're straying into RAFO territory..

22 hours ago, Extesian said:

Oh rhythms. Allow me to dump wobs on you. I love the rhythms

I noticed. I obtained the other WoB on them yesterday from the last time you posted a mass-set on the Rhythms.

I'm rather interested in them too, but not from a Realmatic Perspective. Yulerule's WoB is more my area of interest.

• 2 months later...

This post is basically a really mild spoiler for oathbringer, (literally one sentence) 

Spoiler

I’m pretty sure that Rock can hear the Rhythms. 

He closed his eyes, kneading and humming his mother’s song to a beat he could almost, barely, just faintly hear.

- Chapter 37, The Last Time We March 

Is this to do with the way he can see spren or is it to do with being a Squire / Radiant? I’d say the first.  

14 hours ago, Emily said:

This post is basically a really mild spoiler for oathbringer, (literally one sentence) 

Reveal hidden contents

Is this to do with the way he can see spren or is it to do with being a Squire / Radiant? I’d say the first.  

Is that related to the stuff about the Horneater lakes and how Rock can see spren?

14 hours ago, Emily said:

Hide contents

Horneaters are part Parshendi.

• Chaos locked this topic