[OB] Oathbringer chapters 16-18

Mestiv

"Set into the leather, it also had a painrial—a gemstone fabrial that would take pain from him if he pressed his hand on it. Navani had been working on various forms of pain-related fabrials for use by surgeons, and had mentioned using him as a test subject."

I cant say exactly why...... But this makes me nervous ......

1 minute ago, PunSpren said:

"Set into the leather, it also had a painrial—a gemstone fabrial that would take pain from him if he pressed his hand on it. Navani had been working on various forms of pain-related fabrials for use by surgeons, and had mentioned using him as a test subject."

Navani was actually experimenting with the Painrial on herself the first time we saw it.  

Has Dalinar's boon ever been specifically stated? If it was prowess on the battlefield then perhaps his aversion to taking the field over the past book has led to his being able to remember his wife? Because he isn't using the boon the bane is slowly fading.

Also, Kaladin is going to be such a cool Windrunner with a bunch of Parshendi and Bridgemen for squires.

Edited by Ramza1890

56 minutes ago, Kalinovsky said:

Another double murder? I'm fairly sure that a secret society is behind it, now. 

Or an Unmade is loose, Jaqdaripr, who specializes in copycat killings of murders done in a moment of blind rage.

1 minute ago, Ramza1890 said:

Has Dalinar's boon ever been specifically stated? If it was prowess on the battlefield then perhaps his aversion to taking the field over the past book has led to his being able to remember his wife? Because he isn't using the boon the bane is slowly fading.

I don't think we even know whether forgetting Evi was his boon or his curse - it could have been either. As for the other side of it, whether boon/curse, we don't know yet.

1 minute ago, Daishi5 said:

Navani was actually experimenting with the Painrial on herself the first time we saw it.

I really hope that Navani doesn't Marie Curie herself with all her self testing...  Dalinar can't make her a squire to stormlight away any of the radiation damage she may be doing to herself in her unprotected experiments.

I'll grant yo, Stormlight seems less radioactive than other energy sources, but still.  Very little good comes to those who use themselves, their friends and family as guinea pigs.

But hey, she did make him a pretty sweet watch.  Wonder how often it needs to be infused??

Just now, Daishi5 said:

I remember that, even the illustration in WOR, But its inclusion here is a chekhovs gun kind of situation. ( not to mention prime cosplay material as cool as it sounds) But Dalinar has Stormlight now, Real pain/injury can be managed via stormlight, and we know fabrials tend to work on an push/pull, attract/repulse kind of setup. I just cant help but think that a painrial will come to hurt him sometime in the future... Like I said it just makes me nervous...

1 minute ago, PunSpren said:

“We really should have had more time to test this,” she warned to Dalinar, folding her arms. “Attractors are new inventions. I’m still half afraid this thing will suck the blood out of anyone who touches it.”

Yeah experimental fabrials seem like something to be nervous about.

1 minute ago, Stark said:

I really hope that Navani doesn't Marie Curie herself with all her self testing...  Dalinar can't make her a squire to stormlight away any of the radiation damage she may be doing to herself in her unprotected experiments.

I'll grant yo, Stormlight seems less radioactive than other energy sources, but still.  Very little good comes to those who use themselves, their friends and family as guinea pigs.

But hey, she did make him a pretty sweet watch.  Wonder how often it needs to be infused??

Didn't she also use it on Adolin back in WoK?

Am i the only one who played X-Files Theme during the last part of Shallan's chapter???

I swear thats something paranormal happening in Urithiru. Maybe there is some insane city-spren, who lost his mind after KR betrayal? Or its another KR we didn't know about who does all this stuff. Someone like Willshaper?

Dalinar’s recovery of his memories of Evi/Shshshsh can’t be just due to Stormlight intake; he sucked some in right after bonding the Stormfather, and we’ve seen him get Shshshsh’ed while preparing to get married to Navani. Unless he needed to suck in enough to actually visibly glow.

i wonder if that means he lost his boon, too.

It's interesting to me that Dalinar's first clear memories of Evi return after he surgebinds for the first time, although we've seen his memory improving since he first remember part of the Rift scene.  I'm wondering if his increasing bond with the Stormfather is somehow interfering with the Nightwatcher's powers.  We know that investiture interferes with/resists other investiture.  Maybe as the cracks in Dalinar's soul are filled from his nahel bond it's pushing out or rejecting whatever it is the Nightwatcher did to him.

"The Thrill. Soldiers spoke of it in the quiet of the night, over campfires. That battle rage unique to the Alethi. Some called it the power of their ancestors, others the true mindset of the soldier. It had driven the Sunmaker to glory. It was the open secret of Alethi success."

Emphasis mine, This is new info to me! The thrill had driven the last unified Alethkar to glory........ interesting

And perhaps even more important is this a hint???

“Shallan,” Pattern said, sounding concerned. “No. They live. Your brothers live. Mraize said he rescued them. They are on their way here. This isn’t the lie.” His voice grew smaller. “Can’t you tell?”

If that isnt The Lie.....  What is??? Emphasis mine again 

Edited by PunSpren

Wow, Shallan's spywork is just bad ... You just don't blurt out your mission and walk away the moment you get a drop of information, do better girl.

Good thing Dalinar is aware how ridiculous it would be for him to fight the champion if it came to that, was worried for a moment. I also like how he handled Kadash, always good to see Dalinar capably defending his ideas instead of fumbling around. Still praying he won't be foolish enough to hand that Blade to anyone though i don't know how i feel about him bonding it himself, by right it should go to someone walking the Windrunner's path.

Kaladin's side of the story progressing smoothly, really want to see how he deals with the voidspren.

Evi is Evil. I guarantee. Something is wrong with her, i can feel it. In before she was illusion created by Odium to throw Dalinar into serious shshshshs.

Also, let me see: Kaladin likes Shallan, Syl dislikes Adolin, Pattern likes Adolin (and probably will dislike Kaladin), Adolin likes Shallan. Everything became even more complicated now.

3 minutes ago, robardin said:

Dalinar’s recovery of his memories of Evi/Shshshsh can’t be just due to Stormlight intake; he sucked some in right after bonding the Stormfather, and we’ve seen him get Shshshsh’ed while preparing to get married to Navani. Unless he needed to suck in enough to actually visibly glow.

i wonder if that means he lost his boon, too.

Perhaps it was because this was the first time someone mentioned Evi while he was holding stormlight?

4 minutes ago, Harbour said:

Also, let me see: Kaladin likes Shallan, Syl dislikes Adolin, Pattern likes Adolin (and probably will dislike Kaladin), Adolin likes Shallan. Everything became even more complicated now.

Ah, yes. The love pentagram is coming to fruition.

5 minutes ago, Harbour said:

Also, let me see: Kaladin likes Shallan, Syl dislikes Adolin, Pattern likes Adolin (and probably will dislike Kaladin), Adolin likes Shallan. 

Love Stinks (Yeah, yeah)

Well, that was fun! 

Dalinar is fitting into his place as leader of the Radiants (and it was nice to see our friend Zahel is alright and such).

Kal is making new friends, nice. Proud of him.

And Shallan... is doing dumb things. Drinking a lot, stabbing people, and just being extremely rash.

Hm.

Just now, bleeder said:

And Shallan... is doing dumb things. Drinking a lot, stabbing people, and just being extremely rash.

No, no. Veil is doing these things. She wants to go deeper, she said it herself.

I really can't see how this is healthy anymore.