Voidsphere speculation I haven't heard before

Havoc

Very interesting! No solid proof but i think definitely possible and worth thinking about.

Besides, if family Davar and Szeth have previous dealings, that also opens the way for some awesome possible meetings scenes. Szeth comes to kill Dalinar, Kaladin goes all KR on him, then Shallan runs out screaming "no! Don't kill him! He's a family friend!". Alternatively, she uses the truth of knowing Szeth to fuel some cryptic surgebinding awesomeness :)

Edit: spelling

Edited by Delightful

The sphere radiates a dark light. I don't think it would make a strongbox glow. This doesn't discount the OPs post, but it is pretty safe to suggest that the sphere isn't the object that caused the safe to glow.

If Shallan's father actually was Soulcasting large mineral deposits or whatever, perhaps that sphere was the cause of his failings. Something like Szeth buries the stone -> Shallan's dad tries to Soulcast the land -> he can't -> it freaks him out -> he investigates -> finds the stone -> something something something Shallan kills everyone. Maybe one possibility. 

If Shallan's father actually was Soulcasting large mineral deposits or whatever, perhaps that sphere was the cause of his failings. Something like Szeth buries the stone -> Shallan's dad tries to Soulcast the land -> he can't -> it freaks him out -> he investigates -> finds the stone -> something something something Shallan kills everyone. Maybe one possibility. 

I really like this line of reasoning.

I really like this theory actually!

I'm surprised that everyone seems to be dismissing out-of-hand that the voidsphere could be the glowing thing in the safe.  Sure, we haven't seen it glow *yet*, but it seems like nearly everything important on Roshar glows at one point or another, so why not the voidsphere?  Maybe it became infused with Stormlight, or the evil Spren inside it woke up, or it "activated" in some other way and began to glow...

(Equally likely though, there could just be lots of infused Spheres in the safe.  :)  So I'd say we have no evidence either way)

My theory would be:

- Shallan's father found Gavilar's voidsphere, hid it in the safe

- Someone (possibly Jasnah, or the Ghostbloods, or someone else entirely) sent an assassin after it

- Jasnah's mother (stepmother?) was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and was killed by a Shardblade

- Shallan stumbles along, somehow (unwittingly) uses the powers of the voidsphere to murder the assassins.

- Shallan's father claims the Shardblade, it passes to Shallan later when she kills her father.

That raises the question... where is the voidsphere now?  Does Shallan's family still have it?  Maybe that explains why the Ghostbloods are putting so much pressure on them?

interesting, myself ive been wondering if they arent linked more with the Oathpact than anything else. Szeth's oathstone is my reasoning for this, they had to have gotten that idea from somewhere and the Shin seem to have a deeper understanding of the world and its past than many others.

Who knows, if they are the Oathstones of the Heralds then perhaps they could have been used to control the Heralds, would explain why they wanted Szeth to kill Galivar rather than risking it themselves. Szeth cannot kill his master either. All it would take would be the holder of the stone to say "dont kill me." and bam the Herald would be the next best thing to useless. So they give an Honorblade to Szeth's masters and set him on the path to kill Galivar.

My reasoning for why an Oathstone of a Herald would be black is because it would basically be a contract written by Odium, they are essentially doing what he wants by not helping humans so he wouldnt care what happens with the stones.

I wonder if Galivar found the stone at the same time that the Highstorm and Death visions began though?

.... Sure, we haven't seen it glow *yet*, but it seems like nearly everything important on Roshar glows at one point or another, so why not the voidsphere?  

I thought it was described as glowing not with light but with darkness when Szeth picked it up.  Hard to reconcile that with light shining forth from the safe.

I thought it was described as glowing not with light but with darkness when Szeth picked it up.  Hard to reconcile that with light shining forth from the safe.

And how would anyone know, that he found it to send assassins.

If I found a dark glowing orb, I surely wouldn't advertise it, for anyone to know...

Shallan can see things others cannot.

The more I ponder this comment the more interesting I find its implications to be.  This would mean that what Szeth perceives as streaming blackness but with no consideration of its goodness/evil, Shallan perceives it as light but with a morally (or ontologically) negative connotation ("monster").  She also uses the same term in a way which probably applies to herself.  Would her perception of this be as a result of an (as-yet not perceived) bonding with a spren, and if so, what does this say about the Cryptics?  Interesting implications to ponder, but it still does not seem realistic or probable to suppose.

And how would anyone know, that he found it to send assassins.

If I found a dark glowing orb, I surely wouldn't advertise it, for anyone to know...

He's a member of the Ghostbloods. There's a decent chance they were trying to get hold of the sphere anyway (which is why Gavilar gave it to Szeth).

He could have just told his bosses, "Hey, does this thing sound like that other thing we were hunting for?" After which, there was either an information leak (to Jasnah's spy?) or a rogue faction within the conspiracy.

Edited by Havoc

He's a member of the Ghostbloods. There's a decent chance they were trying to get hold of the sphere anyway (which is why Gavilar gave it to Szeth).

He could have just told his bosses, "Hey, does this thing sound like that other thing we were hunting for?" After which, there was either an information leak (to Jasnah's spy?) or a rogue faction within the conspiracy.

It's not a bad theory, I just think that might be a simpler answer to both mysteries, than them being related...

• Chaos locked this topic