[OB] If you were to read one other Cosmere book...

Tarion

Words of Radiance has a (currently) unique phenomena within the Cosmere. When someone reads WoR and asks what to read next, they're told Warbreaker. When someone talks about reading WoR, they're told to read Warbreaker first. Roshar has a fairly big Cosmere presence - You can't make it through an interlude without bumping into a worldhopper.

I think this will continue in Oathbringer and we'll have a new book we recommend to people. 

My money's on Sel. Either through seeing more Galladon or through a Forger (Which is both an interesting, recognisable magic system, and something that a lot of the secret societies would be keen on). And let's be honest, more people need to read the Emperor's Soul, because it's Sanderson's most beautiful work. 

I'm not so certain, as Brandon is trying to keep the Cosmere as separate as possible, so readers aren't forced to read it all to understand. Worldhoppers add flavor for people that have read it all, but aren't necesary to read to enjoy. With so many secret societies in Roshar I bet people just reading SA would say, "another group of weirdos, man, Roshar has them a sphere a dozen". Warbreaker is an exception because it was written specifically to introduce Vasher and Nightblood for SA. And I half wonder if Brandon has Warbreaker free on his website because he doesn't want readers to feel forced to buy all his works to understand one.

About Sel...remember Sel is harder to reach than most planets, and that most magics (including forging) stop working once you leave the right area of Sel, much less the whole planet. Which is a pity. Forgers in the Cosmere would be so badchull.

Edited by Mestiv
badass -> badchull

1 hour ago, Flash said:

That's what makes me wonder if the characters will have an important arc in Stormlight... otherwise why would background be needed? 

Vasher could just have been stretching his literary muscles for practice/fun. And to start the Nalthis storyline. Nightblood...is Nightblood!

3 hours ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

Warbreaker ... was written specifically to introduce Vasher and Nightblood for SA. And I half wonder if Brandon has Warbreaker free on his website because he doesn't want readers to feel forced to buy all his works to understand one.

About Sel...remember Sel is harder to reach than most planets, and that most magics (including forging) stop working once you leave the right area of Sel, much less the whole planet. Which is a pity. Forgers in the Cosmere would be so badass.

Yeah, if AonDor is greatly limited even on Sel simply by being too far away from Elantris, I can't imagine it working very well on another planet!

But as for Warbreaker being an exercise to create Nightblood's backstory in terms of dropping it into SA (into Nalan's and then Szeth's hands)... Really?! I never read or heard that. It certainly reads like a fully-fleshed story within a larger arc, as opposed to (IMHO) "The Alloy of Law", which very much read like a short story or "writing exercise" that spiraled out.

6 minutes ago, robardin said:

Yeah, if AonDor is greatly limited even on Sel simply by being too far away from Elantris, I can't imagine it working very well on another planet!

But as for Warbreaker being an exercise to create Nightblood's backstory in terms of dropping it into SA (into Nalan's and then Szeth's hands)... Really?! I never read or heard that. It certainly reads like a fully-fleshed story within a larger arc, as opposed to (IMHO) "The Alloy of Law", which very much read like a short story or "writing exercise" that spiraled out.

Yeah. Stormlight came first, with Vasher and Nightblood. 

Warbreaker was written as a prequel after to flesh out and explore their backstory. 

That said, it is still a stand alone book, and it is separate from SA. That exploration was all for Brandon's heads pace, but the stories are still segregated 

Edited by Calderis

8 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Yeah. Stormlight came first, with Vasher and Nightblood. 

Warbreaker was written as a prequel after to flesh out and explore their backstory. 

That said, it is still a stand alone book, and it is separate from SA. That exploration was all for Brandon's heads pace, but the stories are still segregated 

But Warbreaker was written (published) in 2009, The Way of Kings in 2010, and Words of Radiance in 2014. Nightblood (never named such in the Stormlight Archive, as yet) only appears at the very end of Words of Radiance, though we do see Zahel (and hints that he is Vasher) earlier in the book.

So you mean Brandon already had the idea of putting Vasher/Nightblood as Nalthians on Roshar while writing Way of Kings, then shuffled them to Stormlight 2, then detoured to write and publish their particular backstory ahead of Stormlight 1?

I read the annotations for Warbreaker and don't remember this coming up... But I read that before starting on Stormlight Archive. Maybe I need to go back and re-read them!

Edited by robardin

@robardin I'll try to find the bit I'm thinking of, but Brandon has been working on all these since roughly a decade before he was published.

There's an anecdote from Brandon about when Peter found out Vasher was in SA and was like "wait a minute, this is too much." and so Brandon directed him back to one of the earliest SA drafts where Vasher was Meran's (or meiren? Whatever Kaladin's original name was) sword master, without a pseudonym. 

Peter saw that it was the plan all along and was like" alright then"

I started with the Mistborn trilogy, then read all three of the Wax and Wayne books so far. Then I read Way of Kings and Words of Radiance. I’m super excited for Oathbringer. But I also have Warbreaker, Elantris and the Cosmere collection to read. 

Im not sure you need a specific order 

Guest Edonidd

I think I'm one of the only big fans of Stormlight who doesn't care for the full cosmere aspects.  In fact I was pretty disappointed after my first read of WoR for exactly the reason you stated.  You couldn't turn around without seeing a world hopper.  I felt it detracted quite a bit from the book.  

11 hours ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

About Sel...remember Sel is harder to reach than most planets, and that most magics (including forging) stop working once you leave the right area of Sel, much less the whole planet. Which is a pity. Forgers in the Cosmere would be so badass.

WoB that Shai the Forger is lookingfor Hoid. That implies to me that she is capable of  at least  something.

Edited by teknopathetic

8 minutes ago, teknopathetic said:

WoB that Shai the Forger is lookingfor Hoid. That implies to me that she is capable of  at least  something.

For all we know Shai could be looking for Hoid in Sel itself, and not Worldhopping. She was understandably angry at him for leaving her to fall prisioner in their original heist.

47 minutes ago, Edonidd said:

I think I'm one of the only big fans of Stormlight who doesn't care for the full cosmere aspects.  In fact I was pretty disappointed after my first read of WoR for exactly the reason you stated.  You couldn't turn around without seeing a world hopper.  I felt it detracted quite a bit from the book.  

Same-ish? I'm not annoyed at worldhoppers mostly because I fail at recognizing them, but I tend not to care because there have been precious few Cosmere characters I've genuinely loved *as characters* before SA, and none of them are worldhoppers so far. I've mostly be drawn to other Cosmere books for the plot/worldbuilding, and just haven't connected to most characters to the point where I want them to visit Roshar and read about it. Roshar natives and the SA story are much more interesting to me. 

16 minutes ago, teknopathetic said:

WoB that Shai the Forger is lookingfor Hoid. That implies to me that she is capable of something

Now if Shai were to show up in Roshar I would scream in glee, I love her.

I don't think the worldhopper appearances in WoR were that bad. The only thing that confused me the first time I read the book was the voice Szeth heard in his head. I assumed it was just a spren at the time though so I didn't think too much of it. 

I only realized the books had special cameos after coming to this website. I read a lot of Brandon's books before finding this site, and I never disliked a story because I was confused by the cameos...because I didn't even know there were cameos at the time lol. 

2 hours ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

For all we know Shai could be looking for Hoid in Sel itself, and not Worldhopping. She was understandably angry at him for leaving her to fall prisioner in their original heist.

it was me who asked him this question, along with finding out what the Moon Scepter does.  He implied  that she was getting around the cosmere somehow and that he wants to write more about her. 

2 minutes ago, teknopathetic said:

it was me who asked him this question, along with finding out what the Moon Scepter does.  He implied  that she was getting around the cosmere somehow and that he wants to write more about her. 

Nice. And any answer on the Moon Scepter?

Although I'm still not sure how she could Forge out of Sel, which takes away a lot. Forging was one of the most fascinating systems.

Edited by WhiteLeeopard

6 hours ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

Nice. And any answer on the Moon Scepter?

Although I'm still not sure how she could Forge out of Sel, which takes away a lot. Forging was one of the most fascinating systems.

The Moon Scepter is a translating tool. It lets you figure out the "code" of another magic system on Sel (and maybe elsewhere but we dont know.)  So if Hoid has it he can learn to do the local area's code-system. 

I have no idea if she has a hack for forging, but I think if anyone could figure something out it would be Shai.

Also, i asked if Shai could use Forgery if she brought a large chunk of Selish land with her. Like, if you teleported three miles of your homeland to Roshar, would that be enough connection to use the magic. He said no haha. 

Edited by teknopathetic

I read the first Mistborn trilogy and then the Stormlight Archives, so the first time that I read WoR the worldhopper references generally flew over my head (with the exception of Hoid, which had been flagged for me before I started reading Sanderson). Reading up on it after I was finished with the Cosmere books (to date), I thought it was really cool and in hindsight it gives a wonderful sense of stakes to the story. There's a lot we don't know about the battle against Odium, but we do know that people from all over are getting involved because it's just that important. That's very cool to me.

Answer is easy.  Read them all.

mMy preferred order depends on what I think the reader likes.  My sons read mistborn first, and loved the action and fighting.  My daughter... Warbreaker... And liked the 2 princesses strories.   People I don't like... I tell them to read elantris first.  (J/k... But it is a hard one to start with.)

I think mist born has the biggest payoffs... As its up to 7 books already, and you get to the best character trio of all time... Wax, Wayne, and Wayne's hat)

• Argent changed the title to [OB] If you were to read one other Cosmere book...
  • Chaos locked this topic