[OB] Oathbringer 4-6

Steeldancer

I personally don't think the book is written in the modern day. If someone like the sunmaker had the visions he would have been branded a heretic too. The last two books have been older texts, and I don't think the lines about heresy necessarily mean it's a known heretic like Dalinar or Jasnah.

I read the Roshone punch as I was shopping with my lady, and I may or may not have given a loud *whoop*. 

PS

I'm sorry to the lady that jumped when I whooped and dropped her carton of eggs. Collateral damage. 

Guest Edonidd

Couple things I gathered trying to read through the chapters and then everyone's posts here.

1.  Congrats to Kaladin.  He came home to tell his parents their son was dead.  Instead they're about to tell him he's a new big brother and a half.  I assume the new apprentice Mara going to feel like a step sibling to him, being trained in surgery the same way he was and by the same man.  Plus pretty sure momma was about to tell him he has an actual little brother/sister.

2.  I hardly think noticing an out of style coat is akin to Adolin.  Wearing trendy type clothing that is so far out of style really stands out.  I read it as more of a comment on how backwater and out of touch Roshone was for Kal to even notice rather than a comment on Kaladins fashion sense or new found judgementalness.

3.  Of course Kaladin is going to summon his blade.  It's not some weapon of mass destruction that people will see and freak out over.  It's a near mythical item around which folk tales are based, I think it was WoK that established that the name of every dark eyes who ever won a blade was known and there were stories about each and every one of them.  They became heroes.  Not to long ago Kaladin didn't want anyone to know about him.  He was afraid they would take it away.  That was in a past life as he himself said.  He has embraced the role of Knight Radiant.

4.  Elthokar.  I can't believe people have a problem with what he said, it was actually th emost mature and regal thing we have seen him do in the series so far.

5.  Not seeing Shellan.  Last book was hers, this book is Dalinar.  Is it really surprising that after reading 6/130+ or whatever chapters one of them hasn't been from her POV yet?

Okay, so I had more time to read and got through Dalinars piece:

I cannot wait for the he'll Sadeas' wife will sow.

Oathbringer I feel should be another historical book. It would be great if related to the Sunmaker

Why the he'll isn't the Stormfather sending highstorms? That used to be his entire shtick.

Really good to see Elokhar and glad to have it addressed that Dalinar totally snatched his power while he was down (which explains him giving promotions to high princes last week).

Friendly reminder: Adolin is a murderer and a coward 

The Stormfather's form is epic as ever. Can he truly not appear any other way?

I wonder what my boys in Bridge 4 are up to?? Especially Sigzil. Theyve been half way promoted from Kingsguard to Radiant Order.

On to Kal!

Edited by Nymeros

Just now, Nymeros said:

Friendly reminder: Adolin is a murderer and a coward 

A coward? Because he hasn't tell the truth after four days? Kaladin refused to face his parents for 4 years. He also refused to tell Shallan he killed her brother. Shallan refused to remember she has killed her parents for fear of breaking down. Dalinar refused to admit for years he has forgotten his wife. Renarin refused to tell his family about his psren while knowing they were looking for Radiants. Sometimes, people go through events which are hard to process for them, it does not make them cowards.

How come Adolin gets to be called a coward after four mere days? 

He is no more a coward than any of the Radiants. He just hasn't processed anything yet. Maybe next week we'll see more of him. In the meantime, I'm just glad he had some happiness within this book because I feel it won't happen too often.

Adolin might have murdered Sadeas, but the man deserved to be murdered just like Roshone deserved to be punch. Way to go boys.

6 hours ago, Rhaegar'Elin said:

SPOILER The Thrill

Hide contents

The Rift (Rathalas) is the place were Dalinar killed a little boy (the heir of the Princedom) to get Oathbringer.

I guess assisting to such a scene would be discomforting (to say the least) for everyone: even Dalinar was distraught at the end of the chapter.

5 hours ago, robardin said:

Yeah, I just remembered where I'd read "The Rift" before in the context of Dalinar: from the Dalinar POVs in the Unfettered II anthology.

If we're supposed to spoiler that even in this thread, which is already a spoilered sub-forum,

Hide contents

Maybe it was just me clinging to some shred of disbelief, but I really, really hoped that Dalinar had found a way to take the Shardblade from Tanalan's 7 year old son without killing him - if Tanalan had just died and the Blade had materialized, the boy certainly hadn't had time to bond to it yet. But he's definitely ashamed of something, to the point of worrying that Gavilar would find out about it, in the next scene when Gavilar comments on his newly-won Shardblade being Oathbringer, the sword of the Sunmaker, the last king of a unified Alethkar before them.

Spoiler

I too have hoped his shame was taking the sword somehow, but the more I read of the old Dalinar the more worried I am on what he did. 

40 minutes ago, frozndevl said:

4.  Elthokar.  I can't believe people have a problem with what he said, it was actually th emost mature and regal thing we have seen him do in the series so far.

Ups for this, I totally agree.

Seconded (well, thirded) so much. It's the most self-aware he's ever been

46 minutes ago, Nymeros said:

Why the he'll isn't the Stormfather sending highstorms? That used to be his entire shtick.

I'm pretty sure it's still the Weeping. We still don't know for certain the reason the Weeping exists or the reason for the Light Years either for that matter. If you remember, the storm sent at the end of WoR was sent when there wasn't supposed to be one. Given the nature of Investiture, I think the fact that the Stormfather sent that extra storm may have messed up the pattern as well. Most likely the Investiture needs to build back up again before a new storm can be sent which is the reason for Weepings, so I expect the Stormfather can't actually send any storms now. He doesn't have an unlimited amount of Investiture that he can spend on storms. The extra one he sent at the end of WoR was probably all he could do at the time, so now he has to go back to waiting on the Investiture to refill before he can get back to his normal pattern. And if I'm right, the pattern may be off from now on. Storms and Weepings may come a bit later than they have before, although the pattern itself should still be the same once it starts again, just delayed. So they may be without Stormlight for longer than expected.

Of course I could be wrong about all of that.

Just had a thought- is it possible Shallan said and done nothing in her few appearances because SHE WASN'T ACTUALLY THERE?? Could she have sent an illusion of herself so that nobody would be looking for her while actually meeting with the Ghostblood/spying on someone/studying???

Is it possible she witnessed Sadeas's murder??

Or am I just reaching here?

Also, Chanada - could it be Chana  (the Herald)? Or did Brandon name her after a real life person whose name is Canada? Lol

Edit: could the whole "the winds are of Honor" line from Syl be another step towards confirming the "windspren make Shardplate" theory?

Edited by Musica

37 minutes ago, Elena said:
1 hour ago, frozndevl said:

Ups for this, I totally agree.

Seconded (well, thirded) so much. It's the most self-aware he's ever been

Upvoted - Agree! 4thed I guess 

1 hour ago, maxal said:

A coward? Because he hasn't tell the truth after four days?

Yes. He's handling the situation like a coward....no need for comparisons. Maybe he will grow a pair though. Time will tell.

19 minutes ago, Ansalem said:

I'm pretty sure it's still the Weeping. We still don't know for certain the reason the Weeping exists or the reason for the Light Years either for that matter. If you remember, the storm sent at the end of WoR was sent when there wasn't supposed to be one. Given the nature of Investiture, I think the fact that the Stormfather sent that extra storm may have messed up the pattern as well. Most likely the Investiture needs to build back up again before a new storm can be sent which is the reason for Weepings, so I expect the Stormfather can't actually send any storms now. He doesn't have an unlimited amount of Investiture that he can spend on storms. The extra one he sent at the end of WoR was probably all he could do at the time, so now he has to go back to waiting on the Investiture to refill before he can get back to his normal pattern. And if I'm right, the pattern may be off from now on. Storms and Weepings may come a bit later than they have before, although the pattern itself should still be the same once it starts again, just delayed. So they may be without Stormlight for longer than expected.

Of course I could be wrong about all of that.

Smart theory....though it doesnt explain why the weeping stopped and then started again or why Stormfather is being so shifty.

Anyone have a good Stormfather voice? I can't hear him at all when I read.

I'm sure he should sound black but eh?

Just now, Nymeros said:

Smart theory....though it doesnt explain why the weeping stopped and then started again or why Stormfather is being so shifty.

Well, I would wager that it's because the Everstorm is messing up the normal weather pattern, too. I read it as the rain stopping and starting again. That could happen because the Everstorm is pushing the clouds away ahead of it as it passes then it starts back up again afterward. But just based off the one mention of it, I couldn't say for sure.

Regular weather is complicated enough, it's pretty hard to guess what's happening when normal weather mixes with magical weather. :P

5 minutes ago, frozndevl said:

You are just thinking of the 'Voice of God," Morgan Freeman.

............no. Morgan Freeman has one of the least intimidating voices on the planet. He sounds like a smooth grandpa. 

Honor though, was young with a deep voice and Stormfather should sound similar.

7 minutes ago, Ansalem said:

Well, I would wager that it's because the Everstorm is messing up the normal weather pattern, too. I read it as the rain stopping and starting again. That could happen because the Everstorm is pushing the clouds away ahead of it as it passes then it starts back up again afterward. But just based off the one mention of it, I couldn't say for sure.

Regular weather is complicated enough, it's pretty hard to guess what's happening when normal weather mixes with magical weather. :P

No really, your theory was great. I totally forgot that the last storm was off schedule, and what you're saying makes sense. Stormfather should have a good reason for being secretive though.

Edited by Nymeros

4 hours ago, maxal said:

I thought Kaladin's reaction was perfect. I read him as waiting before unraveling his entire bag. He seemed to be observing, a lot, trying to evaluate the people around him. I thought it was very smart of him. I didn't read the punch as impulsive or rash, I read it as something Kaladin thought to do for a long time and decided on doing upon seeing Roshone. Or maybe it was a spur of the moment thing for daring wearing such an outdated coat.

I agree that Kaladin's actions seemed planned, though not necessarily for a long time. He seemed to arrive at a conclusion while he was sitting there observing. I have been racking my brains trying to figure out what good plan could possibly start with punching Roshone, as satisfying as it is. The best that I can come up with is that Kaladin is trying to demonstrate  how ineffective roshones guards are, so they will agree to being trained by Kaladin. It would be the best way for Kaladin to help protect Hearthstone and his parents long term. And it makes sense to train better fighters with the onslaught of global war. 

SO, I am incredibly pumped for this book now, and want more. 

Some points - no highstorms right now because of weeping. It's also possible (as mentioned previously) that it may be longer before the next one as the one that was sent was not at the proper time. May require investiture build-up. 
I absolutely reject the notion of Adolin as a coward here - it's the wrong term. Indecisive? Maybe. But there's a good chance he simply doesn't know what to do next. It's not like anyone has taught him "when you finally snap and murder a highprince, while your kingdom is at it's most fragile and your father needs every shred of authority he can get, this is the right thing to do." He's got a lot to process right now. What even is the best course of action for him? Because while turning himself in may be honourable, it's not necessarily wise, or what's best for his people. 

Finally, Kaladin. Kaladin! I want more Kaladin! I wanna see him summon Syl, turn lighteyed and have Roshone realize that he is seriously outranked. I also want to hear him actually talk to his parents, and possibly learn that he has a new sibling!

12 minutes ago, IntentAwesome said:

I agree that Kaladin's actions seemed planned, though not necessarily for a long time. He seemed to arrive at a conclusion while he was sitting there observing. I have been racking my brains trying to figure out what good plan could possibly start with punching Roshone, as satisfying as it is. The best that I can come up with is that Kaladin is trying to demonstrate  how ineffective roshones guards are, so they will agree to being trained by Kaladin. It would be the best way for Kaladin to help protect Hearthstone and his parents long term. And it makes sense to train better fighters with the onslaught of global war. 

I'm sure that his time sitting there, with his soup and contemplation, led to his decision, but let's not discount that he's got some serious anger with Roshone for more than one reason.

“That,” Kaladin said, “was for my friend Moash.”

I take him at his word, Kal isn't a dissembler.

16 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

"I will protect those I hate, so long as it is just." As far as he knows, there are Voidbringers ready to destroy his hometown. And he goes and punches the man in charge of the city. He's putting his personal vendettas ahead of his oaths again, exactly what he supposedly overcame in WoR.

Well, Kaladin just punches him in the face. He didn't draw Syl and punched him in the face with Syl. So this is perfectly in accordance with his oaths. No real damage done, but a big satisfaction. I don't know how I would have reacted if Kaladin had pulled in his tail there.