NON-SPOILER Review by Alice Arneson [Tor]

Argent

So, Alice Arneson just asked to be the most hated person on Earth. A request cleverly disguised as a non-spoiler review of Words of Radiance

Indulge yourselves, if that's your thing.

On every part, I started prudently and slowly, diligently making notes for myself, and going to the spreadsheet to enter comments in the discussion after each chapter. Then, suddenly, it would register that I hadn’t made any notes for the past few chapters—and I’d throw diligence to the stormwind as I gave myself over to the storytelling and read straight through. Once I could catch my breath, then, I’d go back to where I left off making comments, read it again, and do my job right. This… seemed to be a common practice among the beta group.

Heh.

Edited by Argent

So I read each part as it came, and it was good. I knew I was in trouble, though, when we got to Part Five. Up until then, Brandon had labeled each chapter simply by the name of the POV character(s) and a sequence number. Part Five had about a half-dozen of those, and then came “Climax One.” Ruh-roh… A series of “Climax” chapters, followed by several “Endings” chapters, and the Epilogue? Needless to say, this was the full-bore Avalanche, and I threw caution to the winds. When I finished (and before I did a proper job of the Part Five comments), I went to the “General Reactions” tab and wrote one word: BRILLIANT. It was all I could say.

Hmmm... Apparently Part Five has additional view point characters. Interesting...

I don't see where you're getting that. 

Probably nothing, but I think we might get some cool viewpoints during the end. I'm thinking that is where we will see Szeth's viewpoint show up again.

EDIT: I thought you said at not that. Anyway, she says that there are named chapters for the fifth part, then chapters named Climax, which are possibly from different viewpoints in the same chapter or from new viewpoints entirely. Then we have the Endings which might have different viewpoints like Interludes. Finally, we have the epilogue, which is probably Hoid being awesome.

Edited by a smart guy

I really really hope Wetlander doesn't get in trouble for posting these. Nondisclosure contracts can be pretty draconian.

I mean, yeah, it's on Tor, but she's previously posted a non-spoilery review in the comment sections of TWoK reread. I feel like she might be slightly overstepping things.

I love reading these reviews, even if I hate them too. It's this interesting feeling. I want more reviews.

Edited by Moogle

I really really hope Wetlander doesn't get in trouble for posting these. Nondisclosure contracts can be pretty draconian.

I mean, yeah, it's on Tor, but she's previously posted a non-spoilery review in the comment sections of TWoK reread. I feel like she might be slightly overstepping things.

Well, her previous review was posted on Tor (albeit in the comments) and this more official one is also posted on Tor.  There really was very little content in this review.  There was more in the first one, but not much more.  Since she was given the opportunity to do this more formal one after informally doing the first, I suspect that Tor is on-board.  

I think it's got one spoiler:

Just a few more days, and we ride the winds together!

So, Kaladin learns to fly :)

Kaladin already rode the winds in a dream in the first book.

Anyway, I approved this post of Alice's ahead of time, so of course she's not getting in trouble. :)

Kaladin already rode the winds in a dream in the first book.

Anyway, I approved this post of Alice's ahead of time, so of course she's not getting in trouble. :)

Ha. I see a confirmation :)

He did not learn then... it was ... unintentional (I presume if he would have been near the warm fire in the barracks, he would not have rode out the winds). Then again ... I hope next time is intentional and he will not be strung up again :))

Edited by marianmi

Ha. I see a confirmation :)

He did not learn then... it was ... unintentional (I presume if he would have been near the warm fire in the barracks, he would not have rode out the winds). Then again ... I hope next time is intentional and he will not be strung up again :))

I think that Peter is not referring to him being strung up in the highstorm, but rather Chapter 46 of tWoK where Kaladin seems to travel with a highstorm in his dreams (including maybe seeing Szeth in the act of killing someone) before the Stormfather appears and warns him about Odium. I hope we will get to see more "windrunning" from Kaladin as he learns all of his powers, not just surgebinding.

I think that Peter is not referring to him being strung up in the highstorm, but rather Chapter 46 of tWoK where Kaladin seems to travel with a highstorm in his dreams (including maybe seeing Szeth in the act of killing someone) before the Stormfather appears and warns him about Odium. I hope we will get to see more "windrunning" from Kaladin as he learns all of his powers, not just surgebinding.

And I'm saying that if he wouldn't have been strung up in the highstorm, he would not have probably ridden it.

And that in book#2 he will probably ride the storm because he wants to, not because he's passing out on a roof and thinks he was having a feverish dream.

• Chaos locked this topic