Handerwym

Stormlightning

It's late, and I got tired of searching for some reference to this. Sorry if it actually is out there somewhere. 

Has anyone ever asked Brandon if Handerwym is Hoid?

This obvious-seeming quote from the AoL broadsheets is the basis for my theory:

I owe my life to Handerwym. Faithful Handerwym; I bless the day I pulled him from that lake, sodden and near drowned. The faithful Terrisman, though sworn not to harm or kill, has proved his worth a hundred times. The koloss seem to respect him you see, and allowed him a final approach to embrace his master, soon to be murdered in the most bleak of fashions.

Upon that embrace, I found my Glint--my trusty revolver--slipped into my hand, bound behind my back. I asked how he slipped it away from the koloss, and he explained that he had made use of one of his metalminds to create a connection to the koloss."

So, maybe I'm just thinking about WoK way too much, but this sounds eerily similar to the god of thievery and mischief who crawls out of a lake in the Peaks and is forbidden to harm or kill. Plus, he has an impressive knowledge of Feruchemy, and we know Hoid has spent a good amount of time among the Terris people and does use Feruchemy.

Okay, I really like this theory. I'm not sure if it's been confirmed or not, but this really needs to be asked for Brandon.

I just wanted to clarify, we don't know for sure that Hoid uses feruchemy. All we know is that he uses a similar mechanic to storing/tapping Fortune, but it's not exactly feruchemy.

4 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I feel like Handerwyms language doesnt really match up to the way Hoid usually speaks. 

Also, I strongly doubt that Hoid dedicates several years to following blowhard Jak around for no reason...

It is a good find, but I doubt its true.

I mean, we're talking about a man who spent the better part of a year in the belly of some type of greatshell, apparently out of simple curiosity. I guess what I'm saying is, I wouldn't say it's completely out of the question, Hoid is delightfully mad.

Just now, hwiles said:

I mean, we're talking about a man who spent the better part of a year in the belly of some type of greatshell, apparently out of simple curiosity. I guess what I'm saying is, I wouldn't say it's completely out of the question, Hoid is delightfully mad.

Do we know that it was simple curiosity? Greatshells are strange creatures, and might have something to do with Cosmere-related stuff (gemhearts).

Just now, Toaster Retribution said:

Do we know that it was simple curiosity? Greatshells are strange creatures, and might have something to do with Cosmere-related stuff (gemhearts).

He may have had a legitimate purpose, though what it was is anyone's guess. I merely meant to highlight how little concern Hoid generally has for how he spends his time. I have have been overly hyperbolic.

And if it IS something he thinks is important, I'm sure that the amount of time he spent with Jak was acceptable. I could see him being genuinely interested in what the Survivors Treasure might have been. Or perhaps it was part of something bigger, since there's always another secret. I imagine he got himself eaten by a greatshell simply for the purpose of studying the symbiosis with the spren. This might have been him simply researching something.

As for the way he talks, I agree it isn't his normal style, but we know he's a master of disguise. And Handerwyms dry, insulting cheekiness certainly fits with Hoid.

As well as it seeming a strange use of Hoid's time I feel there could be inconsistencies with his timing of appearing in the era 2 books. But while I'm sceptical, it could be possible I suppose?

Oh and does the quote about being inside a greatshell imply it was by choice? I mean it's Hoid, he doesn't do much that he doesn't choose, but still. 

Edited by Extesian

I agree the hardest part to fit into this is the timing. Stormlight archive 1, then run to spend years in Scadrial? The other part why it seems hard to believe is I don't see Hoid sticking to one person for longer than a few weeks at a time. But if the timing fits and for some reason he stayed with one person for years, Jak seems a likely choice. He seems a happy go lucky person, out to have fun and adventures, and occasionally exasperate those around him, someone Hoid might get along with well.

On 7/4/2017 at 4:48 PM, WhiteLeeopard said:

I agree the hardest part to fit into this is the timing. Stormlight archive 1, then run to spend years in Scadrial? The other part why it seems hard to believe is I don't see Hoid sticking to one person for longer than a few weeks at a time. But if the timing fits and for some reason he stayed with one person for years, Jak seems a likely choice. He seems a happy go lucky person, out to have fun and adventures, and occasionally exasperate those around him, someone Hoid might get along with well.

The timing on this does seem sticky. Although I also haven't been able to confirm exactly where AoL falls. I've heard Brandon say it's mostly at the same time as WoK, but I've heard that these books take place in the gap between 5 and 6. I get the impression that he's still trying to decide exactly where they fall. 

9 hours ago, Stormlightning said:

The timing on this does seem sticky. Although I also haven't been able to confirm exactly where AoL falls. I've heard Brandon say it's mostly at the same time as WoK, but I've heard that these books take place in the gap between 5 and 6. I get the impression that he's still trying to decide exactly where they fall. 

It's in the 15-20 year gap between book 5 and 6 of Stormlight. But that still means Hoid running off to Scadrial and been a bit tight for time to impersonate someone for years.

Edited by WhiteLeeopard

On 7/7/2017 at 7:36 AM, WhiteLeeopard said:

It's in the 15-20 year gap between book 5 and 6 of Stormlight.

That hasn't been confirmed yet.

Question

So is it actually canon that MB:Era 2 takes place between SA first & second half?

Brandon Sanderson

Well I haven’t written second half so it depend on when I take a break. Maybe it takes place after 5, maybe after 7. We’ll just see how it goes when I get there. The timing there is a little more tight.

• Chaos locked this topic