Who will be the new radiants

geo3p

We all are excited for Oathbringer to come out and with that I was wondering who everyone thought will be the new radiant's and what order they will be in. 

I think The Lopen  will be a dustbringer.

18 minutes ago, geo3p said:

We all are excited for Oathbringer to come out and with that I was wondering who everyone thought will be the new radiant's and what order they will be in. 

I think The Lopen  will be a dustbringer.

13 minutes ago, Agent34 said:

Assuming he's not a Windrunner squire.

I'd love to see Lopen become a Surgebinder but isn't it already confirmed that he's one of Kaladin's squires?

5 minutes ago, Luck Spren said:

I'd love to see Lopen become a Surgebinder but isn't it already confirmed that he's one of Kaladin's squires?

I don't think him being a squire bars him becoming a Radiant. In fact what we know about the Kholin family, that connection to a Radiant increases your chances, means odds are probably higher for squires than most people. 

That said, at least for now, I think Bridge Four will just be squires. Of all the members I'd personally like to see with a spren though... I vote Teft. 

1 minute ago, Calderis said:

I don't think him being a squire bars him becoming a Radiant. In fact what we know about the Kholin family, that connection to a Radiant increases your chances, means odds are probably higher for squires than most people. 

That said, at least for now, I think Bridge Four will just be squires. Of all the members I'd personally like to see with a spren though... I vote Teft. 

Lopen, Rock and Teft are my favorites. But that shouldn't come as a surprise. It will be interesting to understand the relationship between Horneaters and Spren too.

On another topic related somewhat to this. Didn't Brandon say that every book would be associated with an order of the KR? If that's the case, and we're assuming that the flashback character will be the KR in question, does that mean that Eshonai will be a Surgebinder too? I'm a little confused here.

@Luck Spren every book is going to be associated with an order, and have a main flashback character. There is no guarantee that the flashback character is going to be a Radiant of that order, just as there's no guarantee that the flashback character will be alive at that point in the story.

Having said all that though, Brandon has said that historically there have been no Parshendi Radiants, but it is possible. I am in the camp that believes Eshonai will be our Willshaper.

4 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

We will get a new Windrunner. I believe there is a WoB on this. Maybe its Roshone? That would make Kaladins story much more interesting.

The WoB specifies that we will see the Windrunner Oaths from another source in a future book. It doesn't specify Oathbringer specifically. 

20 hours ago, Sylphrena33 said:

I don't think that Adolin will become a Radiant, but I do think that he will get the honorblade.

It's logical to give honorblade him, because he is the best duelist and great warrior. 

I can see it: EPICAL friend battle , ADOLIN vs KALADIN. I want it!!!

I find a fight between Adolin and Kaladin to be unrealistic, why would they do it? Unless they are sparring.

Not sure about honorblade going to Adolin either. Remember Szeth's pov in the prologue of tWoK? He said plate and honorblade were hard to combine, and Adolin is really good with plate and blade, but has no experience with surgebinding, and he would have to learn from zero and with no spren to guide him. 

Considering there have been several new radiants on every book so far, including Edgedancer, I think it is not unrealistic to expect several new radiants. Some from Bridge 4 is likely, maybe some new interlude radiants too? My top picks at the moment are Skar and Rock. 

Calling it now, Sebarial will be a Dustbringer. You heard it here first.

About the Honorblade, I think it was @maxal who had a pretty cool idea about Elhokar receiving it, but I might recall incorrectly. 

When it comes to Radiants, I'm going to guess that Rysn, Eshonai Szeth (technically he isnt a Skybreaker yet) and Moash ends up as Radiants.

I can also see a balance problem here. Due to the "end before destination" thingy the Diagram and the Sons of Honor have going on, them receiving Radiants feel unlikely. But if they are going to have showdowns with Dalinar & co, they will be stomped pretty fast. In order to even the odds they need either some Radiants of their own (which would mean people like Amaram, Mr. T, Graves and others getting powers), or they need some other kind of magical weapon to handle the Radiants.

36 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

In order to even the odds they need either some Radiants of their own (which would mean people like Amaram, Mr. T, Graves and others getting powers), or they need some other kind of magical weapon to handle the Radiants.

Taravangian has something up his sleeve, and certainly seems to think he's got the advantage. Additionally, with the coming Desolation, the KR will have bigger issues to focus on, which could leave trainee/weakened KR and/or normal soldiers to face their human adversaries.

37 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Calling it now, Sebarial will be a Dustbringer.

All right, I'll bite. Why Dustbringer? I can certainly see him being a bigger character, like Highprince of Commerce or maybe even a Radiant, but I'm not sure about Dustbringer.

44 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

and Moash ends up as Radiants.

I don't really want Moash to become a Radiant, because I can't really see it. He just doesn't seem like a radiant-esque character to me. I guess I'm also a little tired of redemption arcs in media.  ...  My reasons for disagreement here are actually kinda petty now that I think about it.

6 hours ago, Calderis said:

Isn't one of the Dustbringer traits obedience? That seems very un-Sebarial. 

So everyone seems to be guessing who will be a Dustbringer, but according to the coppermind we don't know much about them. We know they prefer to be called Releasers (they feel they are misjudged/misunderstood bc of their power) and the common people compare them to voidbringers. That's really all that we know, unless you know something I don't.

http://coppermind.net/wiki/Order_of_Dustbringers

2 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

So everyone seems to be guessing who will be a Dustbringer, but according to the coppermind we don't know much about them. We know they prefer to be called Releasers (they feel they are misjudged/misunderstood bc of their power) and the common people compare them to voidbringers. That's really all that we know, unless you know something I don't.

http://coppermind.net/wiki/Order_of_Dustbringers

There are divine attributes associated with each Herald/order, like Protecting and Leading for Windrunners. I thought "obedient" was one of the two for Dustbringers. Can't find the chart at the moment though. 

6 minutes ago, Calderis said:

There are divine attributes associated with each Herald/order, like Protecting and Leading for Windrunners. I thought "obedient" was one of the two for Dustbringers. Can't find the chart at the moment though. 

I found what you are talking about now. You are right Obedience and Bravery are the two associated with it.

It it possible that it is the goal of that order to possess those attributes bc they struggle with them? That is a goal to achieve perfection in them? It is also possible I am very tired and that is a crazy idea...

10 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

It it possible that it is the goal of that order to possess those attributes bc they struggle with them? That is a goal to achieve perfection in them? It is also possible I am very tired and that is a crazy idea...

I honestly don't know. The only ones I know off the top of my head are the Windrunner ones. Although those two things do seem to come naturally to him, only having a single point of reference makes it unreasonable to assume Kaladin's natural ability there is consistent across the attributes for all orders. 

Edited by Calderis

Sebarial was a joke (apparently a pretty bad one). My bad. 

@The One Who Connects I'm pretty sure Moash will get a redemption arc, and become a Radiant at the end. Redemption arcs may be an overused trope (personally I dont mind them if they are well-executed), but I just have a feeling we will get one from Moash.

I feel like Moash's story would be much more satisfying if he became a bigger minor antagonist, fighting to choose his friendship of Kaladin over his hatred of the king. I don't want a redemption arc either, but some of that inner conflict at a key point wouldn't be amiss. I'd be okay with him having to die in the end as well (though of course Kaladin would feel bad about it).