Arsteel / Arbitan

Kinnsayyy

Question

While reading AoL I heard the name Arbitan (some constable Wax mentions from the Roughs) and it sounded very similar to Arsteel, one of the Five Scholars. Is it possible that they could be the same person? I mean we know they traveled off world and at least went to Roshar, but why would scholars only visit one planet? It seems interesting stuff is definitely happened on Scadrial, what with the two shards combining and the IRE involvement.

The only thing is that idk the timeline for Warbreaker in respect to Mistborn. 

5 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, Kinnsayyy said:

Warbreaker is ... ~300 years before Stormlight Archive, and MB Era 2 is roughly concurrent to Stormlight.

9 minutes ago, Kinnsayyy said:

I mean we know they traveled off world and at least went to Roshar, but why would scholars only visit one planet?

We know for a fact that Vasher only visited Nalthis and Roshar, so it wouldn't surprise me that the others didn't go exploring either. Wouldn't put it past them to actually go exploring either.

12 minutes ago, Kinnsayyy said:

Is it possible that they could be the same person?

I would say almost certainly not, because Arsteel is (Warbreaker Spoilers)

Spoiler

Arsteel is Clod the Lifeless, and I don't think Lifeless could pass as a normal person in appearance.

We have WoB that Lifeless do not normally speak or write, so if Arbitan has even a single line, that's almost decisive evidence against the idea.

18 minutes ago, Kinnsayyy said:

While reading AoL I heard the name Arbitan (some constable Wax mentions from the Roughs) and it sounded very similar to Arsteel, one of the Five Scholars. Is it possible that they could be the same person? I mean we know they traveled off world and at least went to Roshar, but why would scholars only visit one planet? It seems interesting stuff is definitely happened on Scadrial, what with the two shards combining and the IRE involvement.

Is it possible? not likely, Arsteel was killed by Vasher and reanimated as the Lifeless Clod. Regarding the timing; Warbreaker is before Stormlight 1 and Mistborn Era 2 is after Stormlight 5, so yes, that theoretically works.

damnation, ninja'd by @The One Who Connects. Well played mate.

Edited by The Sovereign
ninja'd

I suppose a Lifeless might be mistaken for being koloss-blooded on Scadrial but there's a slight problem in that, well, you're still looking at a zombie. Arsteel/Clod was more self-aware than normal for a Lifeless because of the Breath he was holding when he died but at no point could he be mistaken for a normal human being able to carry out an independent living.