Fear about Sanderson's TV/Movie deals

djammmer

This is my biggest fear/concern about Brandon's TV/Movie deals:

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/george-r-r-martin-game-of-thrones-books/?mbid=synd_digg

I don't want someone else's view of the world/story to superceed Brandon's vision... just like is happening w/ Martin's.  It's totally true that for most the world, the TV version of the Game of Thrones is cannon... more so than the printed version.

Please don't let that happen to the Cosmos Brandon. :) Please maintain creative control and oversight.

This is indeed a danger, but I think Brandon is aware of it. He probably knows what is happening to GRRM. 

Furthermore, making movies/series takes time. Stormlight is in script stadium, and still needs financing, casting and a director. When that happens, production will take long as well. Brandon will have time to finish at least the first five. 

Plus, we still have Mistborn, Elantris and Warbreaker, so there are a LOT of other Cosmere stuff to adapt.

I don't think the Cinematic Cosmere will ever go beyond Sanderson's books unless he finishes the entire story and they want to continue past that point.

We make jokes on here that Brandon writes his books faster than we can read them. I'm fairly certain that we read a heck of a lot faster than movie studios can pump out sequels.

Although, if the fans are clamoring for a Warbreaker II movie... :P

I think they'll be fine, as long as they're willing to show restraint and give Brandon more time when he needs it. Luckily, the Cosmere will be way easier to handle than Game of Thrones. Here they have the option of saying, "Ok, we're adapting Stormlight pretty fast; let's take a few years off between 5 and 6, since there's a time jump there anyway," or "Okay, we've reached the end of Mistborn era two. We don't need to use most of these actors again, so let's pick up with era 3 in 5 years. We can do some of the smaller stories in the meantime."  Or, in the most extreme case, if they manage to adapt every Cosmere story Brandon has out and he still isn't finished, they can do original movies under his guidance (a la the Star Wars Story movies). Remember, Martin only had a back catalog of 5 GoT books when that series started; Brandon has 12 books and novellas (and he releases at least a book per year). I think they'll be okay.

21 hours ago, maxal said:

I am more worried over Brandon saying he prefers to make a bad movie than no movie at all as I would prefer the opposite.

I think that is a misinterpretation of what he actually means. He would rather make a movie and risk it being bad than to not make an attempt at all. Which I think is a very sensible perspective, after all one of those options may have a less 100% chance of producing a good movie, but the other has a zero percent chance.

• Chaos locked this topic