Traitorous Unmade?

Fezzik

"One is almost certainly a traitor to the others".--paragraph 27, book of the second desk drawer.

All other quotes from the 2dd are about the unmade.

Jasnah says in an epigraph of WoK that the unmade are considered "personifications of kinds of destruction". What if the traitorous unmade is the personification of betrayal?

I like the idea, and it would be interesting for Brandon to have a traitor on the bad guy's side. Too often in fantasy, Evil seems to be this perfectly unified force while the good guys are a scattered and in-fighting rabble. It'd be good to see both sides struggle. 

I think it's likely that the Traitor could be a herald however. They are counterparts to the unmade, so they wouldn't be out of place in teh 2nd drawer, and I do think it's likely one is a traitor. 

@Left Fairly certain that Brandon has RAFO'd or straight up said no about Heralds and Unmade being counterparts. We know that there are not 10 Unmade, so they are less than perfect counterparts already.

As for the OP, "They(the unmade) are a deviation, a flair. Kingship, you must focus on kingship."

End of the prior statement from the Second Desk Drawer. And as was pointed out to me, there are more than enough paragraphs for the subject to have vastly changed by the time we get to the traitor line.

1 minute ago, The One Who Connects said:

@Left Fairly certain that Brandon has RAFO'd or straight up said no about Heralds and Unmade being counterparts. We know that there are not 10 Unmade, so they are less than perfect counterparts already.

As for the OP, "They(the unmade) are a deviation, a flair. Kingship, you must focus on kingship."

End of the prior statement from the Second Desk Drawer. And as was pointed out to me, there are more than enough paragraphs for the subject to have vastly changed by the time we get to the traitor line.

They are counterparts in that they are highly invested beings with special gifts and top placement in shardic minion hierarchy in a shardic conflict. I'm not saying one group was made to oppose the other or that their powers are compliments or related, just that they, at least symbolically and in many practical ways,  are counterparts. 

As noted, there is a ten paragraph gap between the last passage we know talks about the Unmade and the question of a traitor so we can't simply assume the latter is on the same subject as the former, though it makes for interesting speculation.

3 minutes ago, Figberts said:

Also, wouldn't a traitorous unmade be a good thing? They work for Odium. If there really is a traitorous unmade that comes into the story, it could be a good thing.

Not neccesarily. We often think that if someone turns traitor in a story it means that they are also deffecting to the other side and will support them no matter what. For an evil or demonic being, and I don't know if the unmade truly count as one of those, turning traitor could simply mean they wish to pull a coup or start a civil war so that they are the most powerful on their side. If an unmade had an intent like Greed, and we don't even truly know if unmade are sprenlike enough to have intents, I could see the unmade willing to take advantage of Odium being tied down with limited power to try and take over the shard from Rayse. 

Division among the enemy is always a good thing though.

I think this is an excellent post, good eye john203. Brandon (taravangian rather) has left enough paragraphs down the desk drawer to allow ambiguity as to whether this refers to the unmade or not, but I find it an intriguing possibility, and not unlikely! It could really make for some good story to have an unlikely disruption of the enemy from the inside.

• Chaos locked this topic