Kandra in the Stormlight

4308Design

I was just listening to the Stormlight Archive Book 1 again and had an interesting thought and was trying to see if it made sense.

First Kandra could exist and preserve their powers on any planet because hemalurgy is universal.

Second Stomlight #1 and # 2 take place after first era mistborn and the book1 era 2 takes place in between.

So what triggered my thought process is the reader for mistborn uses the same voice for MeLaan as he does for Danlan. Could they be the same person? Obviously its not enough to go on just the readers voice, but they both have a husky voice and are well rounded. I couldn't remember how much of MeLaan's backstory we got.

Anyway first post, hope it wasn't too ignorant, I just finished reading majority of the cosmere stuff just recently.

Another thought...In mist born Era 2 Harmony warns Wax that something is happening in the cosmere but hes not sure what (or won't tell). Being that Kandra are his eyes and ears, why wouldn't he send one (if it were in his power)? Are the events of the Stormlight archive what he's speaking of?

I am pretty sure there is a wob that there is in fact a Kandra worldhopper though the voice certainly isn't enough to verify the danlan melaan theory. Perhaps a closer look at their scenes will give more evidence one way or another. 

EDIT: I went through and did a less than completely thorough searching of the books for any comparisons between MeLaan and Danlan and the only thing I can find is that they both like to drink alcohol.  In WoK:

Her wine was violet.  She did like her wine, though she seemed to match it to her outfits. A curious trait.

In BoM:

"Hey," MeLaan said, "what's a girl gotta do to get some of that whiskey?"

"Yup," MeLaan said, "and I'm a tragically sober one."

I left out an unimportant bit in that quote.  

There are also other times where it is noted in both SoS and BoM that MeLaan enjoys drinking.  Its not much but it is something.

Edited by GeneralStu

It also depends on which version you heard. From what I remember of Graphic Audio MeLaan, she sounded similar to Judge Whitey from Futurama. Long drawn out words with somewhat over enunciated vowels. I don't particularly remember Danlan's voice but I think I would have heard that.

Also, the cast is generally pretty limited in audiobook. Usually with just one reader which can make it hard to create hundreds of unique voices for characters. Even in graphic audio, I believe there were only 2 voice actors on W&W (who I believe also voiced in Stormlight) since it was such a smaller book series.

Well as I said before; the readers voice isn't enough to go on, I agree, it was just the fuel for the spark.

They are both described as having a husky and deep voice (it's what Adolin is apparently attracted to). MeLaan was described as having the same. I would have to go back and read again but I think they both full figured women as well. I hadn't thought of the drinking component before, that's pretty good stuff.

However the more compelling argument may be her placement and motives. IF Harmony were aware of events on other worlds and wanted to influence them (as we know he has done) and he placed an agent; where would he do it and with which side? Obviously he would want to stop the everstorm and the best tactic based on his experience is generally killing (after all Kelsier, Vin and Wax weren't the most discrete), so he may see killing Elhokar as a quick and viable option.

I agree, if Brandon doesn't want us to find them it will be very difficult, but still fun to see if we can pick up on his breadcrumbs.

Edited by 4308Design

8 minutes ago, 4308Design said:

IF Harmony were aware of events on other worlds and wanted to influence them (as we know he has done)

I'm sorry, but how do we know that Harmony has been influencing events on other worlds? This is the  first I've heard of this.

3 hours ago, BlackYeti said:

I'm sorry, but how do we know that Harmony has been influencing events on other worlds? This is the  first I've heard of this.

I don't know that he has been influencing other worlds, but I think it's hinted at that he may have kandra working as his eyes in other places... not even sure of this at the moment.

We don't know the specifics of his method but he is looking...well most likely...he is a research type. Not to mention the red haze he alludes to.

"I sense shards of something long ago, a fractured presence, something spanning the void.

I have delved and searched, and have only been able to come up with a single name: Adonalsium. Who, or what, it was, I do not yet know."

Sazed
Edited by 4308Design

43 minutes ago, DarkJester said:

I don't know that he has been influencing other worlds, but I think it's hinted at that he may have kandra working as his eyes in other places... not even sure of this at the moment.

It hasn't been hinted at, it's been openly stated.

QUESTION

Are there kandra hiding in any of your books, besides the Mistborn ones?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes there are! [smugly] yes there are..

source

QUESTION

Is OreSeur… is a member of the same species a worldjumper?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, there are several kandra who are worldhoppers.They are usually homebodies, but there are some who have gone off

source

NEWAN

Is the kandra worldhopper MeLaan?

BRANDON SANDERSON (PARAPHRASED)

Good question. *gives Newan a RAFO card* In upcoming Mistborn books, you are going to get to know a lot more of the kandra, so you will have a lot more options.

NEWAN

Ooh. When the kandra worldhopper is off-world, er off-Scadrial, does she take the form of a human female?

Not all of the time.

NEWAN

Has she spoken a word of dialogue in a non-Mistborn book?

I can't remember

source

QUESTION

Has TenSoon ever left Scadrial?

BRANDON SANDERSON

More RAFO. I believe I have said there are Kandra on other worlds, but I have not said if one was TenSoon

source

This does not mean that Harmony is trying to influence events. Consider the Seventeenth Shard: they're sending agents to worlds, yet they have an explicit non-intervention policy. You can attempt to study a place without interfering. Thus I do not consider this evidence for Harmony intervening in other worlds' affairs.

19 minutes ago, 4308Design said:

We don't know the specifics of his method but he is looking...well most likely...he is a research type. Not to mention the red haze he alludes to.

"I sense shards of something long ago, a fractured presence, something spanning the void.

I have delved and searched, and have only been able to come up with a single name: Adonalsium. Who, or what, it was, I do not yet know."

Sazed

The red haze is evidence of something else interfering on Scadrial, not vice versa. I think what I say above address the rest of your comment.

Awesome! Thanks for the info, I haven't gotten into reading some of his interviews yet, but I'm glad to hear its a possibility.

I'll have to read more in to the red haze, maybe because of the weird order I read them in; I assumed that it was something afflicting the cosmere as a whole not just Scadrial.

For the Kandra worldhopper, our best guess is Mrall, who is described as totally bald: no hair or eyebrows, and this conversation:

T:"Do not take pleasure in suffering..."

M:"As you wish. I will do so no more."

T:"Can you really change that easily? Turn off your emotions on a whim?

M:"Of course."

16 hours ago, 4308Design said:

However the more compelling argument may be her placement and motives. IF Harmony were aware of events on other worlds and wanted to influence them (as we know he has done) and he placed an agent; where would he do it and with which side? Obviously he would want to stop the everstorm and the best tactic based on his experience is generally killing (after all Kelsier, Vin and Wax weren't the most discrete), so he may see killing Elhokar as a quick and viable option.

Unless Harmony is into Graves theories, killing Elhokar really wont help much, as far as we know.

Elhokar might be Odium Reborn though. That'd be a plot twist.

• Chaos locked this topic