Nightblood and the Evil

Purelake

Do any of you see any similarities between Nightblood and the Evil on Threnody? It's been a while since I've read the books, but I believe they are both described in terms of Black Smoke and Consuming Souls/Investiture.  Also, with Nightblood's command to "Destroy Evil" do you think there will be any long term confrontation?  I thought the question in the Oathbringer 5 Update Q&A thread asking if Nightblood had the same investiture now as when it was created was interesting (RAFO'd). If Nightblood is consuming and retaining investiture, and The Evil is doing the same (it seems to have gotten bigger to absorb the entire continent on Threnody), there seem to be some similar things going on. I wonder if there is a limit as to how powerful they can become. Thoughts/Help expanding upon?

2 hours ago, Purelake said:

Do any of you see any similarities between Nightblood and the Evil on Threnody? It's been a while since I've read the books, but I believe they are both described in terms of Black Smoke and Consuming Souls/Investiture.  Also, with Nightblood's command to "Destroy Evil" do you think there will be any long term confrontation?  I thought the question in the Oathbringer 5 Update Q&A thread asking if Nightblood had the same investiture now as when it was created was interesting (RAFO'd). If Nightblood is consuming and retaining investiture, and The Evil is doing the same (it seems to have gotten bigger to absorb the entire continent on Threnody), there seem to be some similar things going on. I wonder if there is a limit as to how powerful they can become. Thoughts/Help expanding upon?

It would be cool, but if my memory is right, the Evil was only mentioned in SfSitFoH, not described, I don't think any Threnodite dares to Elend Venture (see what I did there?) into the "Evil chunk" of Threnody

19 minutes ago, Talanelat'Elin Stonesinew said:

It would be cool, but if my memory is right, the Evil was only mentioned in SfSitFoH, not described, I don't think any Threnodite dares to Elend Venture (see what I did there?) into the "Evil chunk" of Threnody

The joke would've been better if you had just said "dares to Elend into", because then we would've had to make the connection to venture, versus you just giving it to us. Makes the reader feel smarter.

8 minutes ago, Spoolofwhool said:

The joke would've been better if you had just said "dares to Elend into", because then we would've had to make the connection to venture, versus you just giving it to us. Makes the reader feel smarter.

You, sir, are the Lord of Puns and Jokes, could I be your apprentice?

I was mistaken, I recently saw it in Arcanum Unbounded in Khriss's description: "A creeping darkness, a terrible force that consumed the entirety of the continent, feasting upon the souls of men." She does follow up stating she doesn't know if it is literal, but there does appear to be something of a similar description used. 

13 minutes ago, happyman said:

I, personally, wonder what would happen if Nightblood ever ended up on Threnody in the hands of a well-invested native.  Destroy evil, indeed.

Of course! That must be what Nightblood is about--it's secretly the Threnody novel at the same time, and it chronicles the adventures of our favorite sentient sword as it attempts to rid the Homeland of evil forever!

Just now, Exalted Dungeon Master said:

Of course! That must be what Nightblood is about--it's secretly the Threnody novel at the same time, and it chronicles the adventures of our favorite sentient sword as it attempts to rid the Homeland of evil forever!

Yeah, and my original post was slightly tongue-in-cheek.  But more seriously, I'm wondering what would really happen with Nightblood on Threnody.  What would it do to the shades?  Would it see them as evil, or not?  It managed to do a real number on bog-standard non-evil walls in Warbreaker.

Scary thought.  What would happen if one of the shades wielded Nightblood? 

Just now, happyman said:

Yeah, and my original post was slightly tongue-in-cheek.  But more seriously, I'm wondering what would really happen with Nightblood on Threnody.  What would it do to the shades?  Would it see them as evil, or not?  It managed to do a real number on bog-standard non-evil walls in Warbreaker.

Considering that it slices through all three Realms, I'm guessing it would act against shades as it does against people. And I doubt the shades have enough innate Investiture to wield Nightblood for longer than a couple seconds, so in all likelihood they'd just shrivel up and die even further.

22 minutes ago, Exalted Dungeon Master said:

Considering that it slices through all three Realms, I'm guessing it would act against shades as it does against people. And I doubt the shades have enough innate Investiture to wield Nightblood for longer than a couple seconds, so in all likelihood they'd just shrivel up and die even further.

Yeah, probably.

Creepy thought.  I wonder if it affects them going to the Beyond.  From Secret History and Kelsier's point of view, it seems like true oblivion (rather than the Beyond, which probably isn't actually oblivion) is possible, if the soul is damaged enough.

6 minutes ago, happyman said:

Yeah, probably.

Creepy thought.  I wonder if it affects them going to the Beyond.  From Secret History and Kelsier's point of view, it seems like true oblivion (rather than the Beyond, which probably isn't actually oblivion) is possible, if the soul is damaged enough.

What part of SH gives you that impression? I've only read it once, and not very thoroughly, so I'm not really clear on everything that happens in it.

On 1/2/2017 at 0:54 AM, happyman said:

I'm wondering what would really happen with Nightblood on Threnody.  What would it do to the shades?  Would it see them as evil, or not?  It managed to do a real number on bog-standard non-evil walls in Warbreaker.

Well, their evilness to Nightblood aside, do the shades have Breath, or the local Investiture equivalent (like Stormlight)? 'Cause wielding Nightblood has a cost.

I wonder if one could ever talk Nightblood into seeing itself as evil, and what would that do to it? I mean, it consumes the wielder's life-force. Anybody wielding it would eventually die, if they didn't stop. Since one of its primary metrics for determining "Is this person Evil?" is, "does this person want to use me as a means to kill other people?", you could write a very short logical proof that Nightblood Is Evil by its own metrics.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2017 at 2:29 PM, robardin said:

Well, their evilness to Nightblood aside, do the shades have Breath, or the local Investiture equivalent (like Stormlight)? 'Cause wielding Nightblood has a cost.

While we're not completely sure how shades work (though Arcanum Unbounded gave us rather useful information in that regard) the shades are confirmed by WoB as cognitive shadows and thus by definition must have some sort of investiture which Nightblood could feed on. So, if you ever find yourself dead on Threnody and your disembodied spirit encounters a sword asking if you'd like to destroy some evil today, float the other way unless you're trying to commit shade suicide.

On 1/1/2017 at 11:54 PM, happyman said:

I think Nightblood would obliterate shades if the blade hit them. I'm not sure they're physical enough to wield it, though - wouldn't they actually have to be able to pick up/draw the sword to use it? Nightblood, as Invested as it is, is still a physical object.

On 1/2/2017 at 0:22 AM, happyman said:

Yeah, probably.

The way it's worded seems to me to suggest that at least Kelsier thinks that he would end up in the Beyond (whatever that is) if Ruin had successfully obliterated him - he feels the 'pull of the Beyond' again after the attack.

2 hours ago, cometaryorbit said:

The way it's worded seems to me to suggest that at least Kelsier thinks that he would end up in the Beyond (whatever that is) if Ruin had successfully obliterated him - he feels the 'pull of the Beyond' again after the attack

I believe shards can directly attack spiritual components as well, like Nightblood, sprenblades and honorblades, therefore forcing someone to the Beyond. The essay on Sel makes it sound like that was what happened to Skai and Aona. 

• Chaos locked this topic