Sallin Zeras

By the ending of WoR, I had a lot of favorite characters: Dalinar, Szeth, Kaladin, Adolin, Jasnah, and many more, but there was one character that stood out, and I think all of you agree when I say the Stick is the best character in Stormlight. Now, to the question, I am very intrigued by this character, and I just wanted to know if you would like for the Stick to become a main character in the series. If many of you say it's a good idea, I will make everything I can to suggest Brandon to make the Stick a main PoV character.

(Please, do not take this seriously)

Stick is Odium's kryptonite. It will save us all and a new religion (cause Brandon just loves making new religions!) will grow up around it stressing deep introspection and self awareness. "I am" will be their mantra, as each one discovers who he or she or it truly is. 

I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. I am Ironeyes. 

1 hour ago, Talanelat'Elin Stonesinew said:

By the ending of WoR, I had a lot of favorite characters: Dalinar, Szeth, Kaladin, Adolin, Jasnah, and many more, but there was one character that stood out, and I think all of you agree when I say the Stick is the best character in Stormlight. Now, to the question, I am very intrigued by this character, and I just wanted to know if you would like for the Stick to become a main character in the series. If many of you say it's a good idea, I will make everything I can to suggest Brandon to make the Stick a main PoV character.

(Please, do not take this seriously)

It's actually been made! It consists of "I am a stick" written 72 times. I'll try to find the link. 

EDIT: I can't get to it because my phone's spazzing out, but find the "Deleted Scenes" section of Brandon's website and it's there. On a side note, here's the Coppermind article. 

Edited by Assassin in Burgundy

1 hour ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

It's actually been made! It consists of "I am a stick" written 72 times. I'll try to find the link. 

EDIT: I can't get to it because my phone's spazzing out, but find the "Deleted Scenes" section of Brandon's website and it's there. On a side note, here's the Coppermind article. 

My dreams have come true. Now, if we could get Brandon to write a "400K word monstrosity" with the "I am a stick" sentence all over it... That would be a bestseller, not WoK, not WoR, but IAAS(I am a Stick)

2 hours ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

I uh, wrote this. 

Guess Brandon beat me to the punch after all.

To be 100% serious, I don't get the stick adoration!  It was a funny moment that had its place, but all the stick love goes completely over my head.

To me, it's like watching The Empire Strikes Back and wanting a mini series based on the Tauntaun!

::Braces for the Stick Fanboys and Fangirls rebuttal::

1 hour ago, VirtuousTraveller said:

To be 100% serious, I don't get the stick adoration!  It was a funny moment that had its place, but all the stick love goes completely over my head.

To me, it's like watching The Empire Strikes Back and wanting a mini series based on the Tauntaun!

It's just for fun. The people that love the Stick are probably also the people that were dying of laughter in that moment (like myself)

11 hours ago, Eki said:

Here's the Stick chapter, for anyone who wants to get a real sense of the Stick's mind.

Such a great character! This chapter really left me wanting a flashback book for the Stick

1 hour ago, VirtuousTraveller said:

I'm so relieved to find someone with the same mindset! I thought the moment was very funny and provided some much needed humor after everything else that had been going on, but all of this "Bring back the stick" and "Stick equals best character" have been blown out of proportion. It was funny at first, but from my eyes the joke has gone stale. Maybe it's just not my kind of humor.   

1 hour ago, Patar said:

I'm so relieved to find someone with the same mindset! I thought the moment was very funny and provided some much needed humor after everything else that had been going on, but all of this "Bring back the stick" and "Stick equals best character" have been blown out of proportion. It was funny at first, but from my eyes the joke has gone stale. Maybe it's just not my kind of humor.   

We're nerds, we just love a running joke. Stick is something we can throw around that "outsiders" aren't going to get. Like a 17th Shard gang sign. Actually that's a really weird thought now that I picture it. 

4 minutes ago, Ironeyes said:

We're nerds, we just love a running joke. Stick is something we can throw around that "outsiders" aren't going to get. Like a 17th Shard gang sign. Actually that's a really weird thought now that I picture it. 

Yo homie, what's up? *throws a stick in his face*

On 12/10/2016 at 10:35 PM, Ironeyes said:

I propose that this become a thing. All in favor of making Stick the official gang sign say aye

I want to see stick get invested to the point he can fight against full shard bearers. Then the person that's wielding him needs to constantly come up with creative ways to use him. Oh wow. This thing makes. Great fishing pole. "I am a stick." Wow. Add a little rope and this thing makes a great grappling hook. "I am a stick..." That's... Quite the weapon you have there... It managed to block my shard blade... "I am a stick!!!" 

In all seriousness, I believe that there are some very real cosmere implications to when Shallan was trying to change the stick. The stick remembered being a stick and only a stick. It wasn't saying "I'm a tree." I think this means that Stick was a stick for a very long time. So long that it's all it remembered being. If you look at the window in Emperor's Soul it remembered being a beautiful stained glass window. That's how it viewed itself. I think there is something very similar going on between rewriting an object's history and the transformation surge. Perhaps instead of trying to convince stick how much fun it would be to be on fire. She should have been questioning stick on times when it was struck by lightning or when it witnessed it's neighbor burning alive. I still don't know how you could then convince stick to catch fire though. Doesn't seem very pleasant. 

• 3 weeks later...
On December 10, 2016 at 6:55 PM, VirtuousTraveller said:

People travel at different temporal timelines.  One person's staleness is another's freshness. But there's also the joy of shared experiences and shared knowledge...  Which is why forums likely even exist...  So even though the "I am a stick" deleted seen is "been there done that" for many people... When someone shares their excitement over finding it for the first time, people in the community will share (relive) that experience, and shared joy\excitement.  Because shared experiences build communities.

you will undoubtedly see people get excited about this for decades... As there will always be someone discovering it for the first time.. And it will always be fresh to someone.

In my family, it's become a punchline / soft jab to anyone who is being overly stubborn to quote the stick... "I am a stick!"  Which based on our shared experience/knowledge is a soft way to tell someone to stop being so stubborn.

6 hours ago, borkson said:

So how does Stick qualify as a character? What if Stick doesn't want to be a character, Stick just wants to be a Stick. 

You should check the thread about Stick no longer being a stick. I'll try and find the link

EDIT: you will find it here

Edited by Shqueeves
Added link

• Chaos locked this topic