Should I buy the hard cover or ebook of WoR?

eveorjoy

I had the ebook and the hard copy preordered, but then I learned that the audiobook will be out on day one, so I dropped the hardcover and ordered the audiobook. The way I see it, that search function is invaluable, and the audiobook will let me listen when I would otherwise be wasting time (All activities that are not reading Stormlight Archive are considered wasted/sunk costs until the book is finished). Then the audiobook will also be my best option for the turn-around reread when I am done. I'll get a hardcopy, but it might be one that I order off Brandon's website or something like that so I can get him to sign it. That will be a little while out. 

The Words of Radiance ebook probably won't drop to $9.99 until it's been out for a year. And it probably won't drop lower than that for a few years afterward. Though it's possible Amazon could discount it below cost at any time, since they're legally allowed to do that now.

I still don't have any word on whether the book will be in the Kindle MatchBook program. Most Tor books aren't.

Thanks Peter but this is surprising since I chatted with Amazon CS a couple weeks ago to see if they will kindlematch my pre-order and was told yes. But it does not matter now to me sine I will be buying WoR locally since Brandon is coming to San Diego for the signing.

Hey Peter, here is part of the chat transcript with Amazon CS. Probably not the best thing to post here but ...

07:49 PM(GMT) Annamalai(CSA): Just to confirm, Is this the book ?

http://www.amazon.com/Words-Radiance-Stormlight-Archive-Book/dp/0765326361/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0

07:49 PM(GMT) Krishna Konda: yup

07:51 PM(GMT) Annamalai(CSA): I see, In the case the book will be available once the Kindle edition is released Krishna.

07:51 PM(GMT) Krishna Konda: umm, ok

when is the Kindle version coming out?

07:51 PM(GMT) Annamalai(CSA): Publication Date: March 4, 2014

07:52 PM(GMT) Krishna Konda: so same day for both

07:52 PM(GMT) Annamalai(CSA): Yes, that is correct.

07:52 PM(GMT) Krishna Konda: so you confirm its available for matchbook?

07:52 PM(GMT) Annamalai(CSA): Yes, Krishna

Hey, fantastic! When I ask a question like that, this is exactly the amount of detail I dream of receiving, and it very rarely happens. My hat is off to you!

I'm checking with Tor to verify this, but I assume Amazon wouldn't say this if it weren't true, though you can never be too sure about a customer support rep. (As I've been documenting on Facebook recently.)

Publishers need to get their act together and set things up so more than just Amazon has this type of program. Otherwise Amazon will just get more marketshare.

Thanks Peter :). I love the idea of bundling the ebook along with a hardcopy. I hope it happens :).

As for information given by the CS rep, I completely agree. I thought I would not know for sure until March 4th.

Edited by kkchaitu

Both...I generally work abroad and learned a hard lesson when it was time to ship 2 years worth of reading home, so I switched to ebooks, but there is nothing like owning and preserving an epic tale as they were designed to be read ( with a glass of cognac, fire, and good cigar close by). I have all of his books on ebook, but I very much look forward to returning home and finding my other copies home on the shelf with the great artwork as it was meant to be rendered.

Hardcover for me. I very much enjoyed the cover art, maps, and drawings in Way of Kings, and felt that they - along with the fantastic story - were more than worth the price of a hardcover. Sanderson is one of the very last authors whose books I still buy in physical format, however. The great majority of my new books are now digital versions that I read on my Kindle. Lots of books do take up a lot of space, whereas my Kindle is so small and neat.

I guess I am obsessive, I will  be blowing my book budget for the next several months...

Hardcover that I will but at my local store,  ebook so I get it at midnight, and I will get the audible version for my re-read during commuting, since I assume I will read it the first time too fast to absorb everything.

Edited by FollowYourMuse

• Chaos locked this topic