\W/estworld

Oversleep

So... we're five episodes in and nobody has made a thread? Don't tell me I'm the only one watching \W/!

Something awesome: Here's a playlist of the official five tracks from OST, including "Paint It, Black":

Edited by Oversleep

You are not the only one.  I've been enjoying looking for all the little subtleties and hints of what's going on, and watching some of the Hosts begin to gain self-awareness.  It has the potential to explore the question of consciousness in interesting ways.

This show has been a real homerun. The performances, the aesthetics, the music, the writing- damnation. An intelligent science fiction story that delves deeply into theology, godhood, sentience and self-awareness, wrapped up in video game language and Western trappings? Complete with a powerhouse cast of actors?

Hell yeah, sign me up! 

This is like if someone combined Ex Machina with Red Dead Redemption and BioShock. 

As for the video game mechanics: I liked very much the scenes in episode 2, I think, when they arrive and the experienced guy is all "he's trying to get you in treasure hunt plotline" and so on :D

Although I don't understand something: Back at the beginning it was said that Hosts can't hurt living beings... but they sure attempt to by shooting even if Guests are invulnerable. Or recently there was a scene with Hosts punching the Guest. Could somebody explain?

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

As for the video game mechanics: I liked very much the scenes in episode 2, I think, when they arrive and the experienced guy is all "he's trying to get you in treasure hunt plotline" and so on :D

Although I don't understand something: Back at the beginning it was said that Hosts can't hurt living beings... but they sure attempt to by shooting even if Guests are invulnerable. Or recently there was a scene with Hosts punching the Guest. Could somebody explain?

Bruises are fine, but everything has to be non-lethal.

7 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I'm pretty sure that one of the Hosts went with a knife while fighting Man In Black (when he shot Lawrence's cousins).

To be fair, keep in mind the Man in Black is in his 60s and he's fast enough to outshoot and out fight human robots. Might be they're programmed to subtly sabotage themselves, give the Hosts any chance to beat them soundly.

29 minutes ago, Quadrophenia said:

To be fair, keep in mind the Man in Black is in his 60s and he's fast enough to outshoot and out fight human robots. Might be they're programmed to subtly sabotage themselves, give the Hosts any chance to beat them soundly.

I meant that while shooting Guests is by definition non-lethal, how attacking with a knife in close quarters can be considered non-lethal?

On 11/4/2016 at 7:00 AM, Oversleep said:

I think they said they cannot kill guest (of course the way things are progressing this looks like it will change soon too). Hurting is completely possible.

I have been really digging the show. It is extremely well done and cast. 

Edited by StormingTexan

11 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

I think they said they cannot kill guest (of course the way things are progressing this looks like it will change soon too). Hurting is completely possible.

Back in episode one one of the questions in the questionary was "Would you ever hurt a living being?" which Dolores answered "No" and there also was a scene or two with flies walking on the eyes of the hosts and they didn't do anything about it... and then BAM!, Dolores kills a mosquito/fly. End of episode one.

Yeah would look amazing in 4K. I'm actually a little disappointed I was an early 4K adopter and bought a 75" TV but there is just not a lot of content or at least content I want to watch this show being a perfect example. 

OMG the twist from this past episode!!! Did not see that coming. 

13 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

Yeah would look amazing in 4K. I'm actually a little disappointed I was an early 4K adopter and bought a 75" TV but there is just not a lot of content or at least content I want to watch this show being a perfect example. 

OMG the twist from this past episode!!! Did not see that coming. 

Apparently there are some people who did.  I saw the theories popping up last week and said, "Wha? ...naaahhh."

Then the moment he said, "What door?" I realized that they were right.

6 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

Apparently there are some people who did.  I saw the theories popping up last week and said, "Wha? ...naaahhh."

Then the moment he said, "What door?" I realized that they were right.

Makes me want to go back and rewatch because I did not see that coming at all. 

21 hours ago, Briar King said:

Best show of the yr so far. Absolulty no filler moments/episodes yet. Down right stellar.

100% agree.  It's one of those shows where you can't miss a scene.  Have to shut the phone off and put it across the room too.  And smoke juuuust the right amount of weed.  B)

Okay, what's up with Ford narrative? Back in episode two it was set up as something important and... and we're past seventh episode and it is still largely non-existant. The only thing we've got is Wyatt who is chased by Teddy and then Man in Black... but now I don't even know why: he was after the Great Maze after all...?

3 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

Okay, what's up with Ford narrative? Back in episode two it was set up as something important and... and we're past seventh episode and it is still largely non-existant. The only thing we've got is Wyatt who is chased by Teddy and then Man in Black... but now I don't even know why: he was after the Great Maze after all...?

Ahh, but first we must ask, "What is not Ford's narrative?"

6 minutes ago, Sandstorm said:

Ahh, but first we must ask, "What is not Ford's narrative?"

Yeah, yeah, but what about that his "new big narrative" that created chaos in other plotlines and claimed half of a park?

Anyway, I expected the Maze plotline (Man in Black) to have more space. What about that Arnold's voice in hosts' head thing? What about that purpose Dolores sees? IMO Maeve takes too much space.

39 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

What does everyone think about the William = Man in Black theory? 

It's that one that says we're actually seeing two different timelines? It's wrong.

Man in Black had been coming since the beginning, ~30 years ago. Hosts back then were still robotic (he comments on it after cutting Lawrence's throat). However, we have seen Logan and William interact with the town as it is now - Maeve has been running the brothel for... I don't recall exactly but 1.5 or 2 years.

I think that Logan commented on the time since the opening of the park when he said that he couldn't find any information about Arnold.

Not to mention that Dolores is clearly "post-Snap" (dunno how to describe it) in William's storyline while Man in Black comments on her having courage amped up from before.

Edited by Oversleep