Mistborn Era 3/Era 4 Tech: How the Metallic Arts Might Influence Scientific Development

Quadrophenia

Gold medallions could become like the new blood donation. Have an empty one, someone spends a half hour sick, and its used to heal another person.

On a darker side, this could lead to Matrix-esque sweatshops were people spend their days incapacitated (e.x. blind, sick, tired) to fill the metalminds. There would definitely need to be some government regulation in that area. Or use the ettmetal machines as mentioned above.

Our Storm Trekkers would have no communication issues with people in other worlds thanks to the connection medallions.

I can see massive pneumatic tube networks used to deliver messages by coinshots and lurchers. Like the ones in bank drive throughs but cooler and allomancy-er.

9 hours ago, Capt. Goradel said:

Gold medallions could become like the new blood donation. Have an empty one, someone spends a half hour sick, and its used to heal another person.

On a darker side, this could lead to Matrix-esque sweatshops were people spend their days incapacitated (e.x. blind, sick, tired) to fill the metalminds. There would definitely need to be some government regulation in that area. Or use the ettmetal machines as mentioned above.

Our Storm Trekkers would have no communication issues with people in other worlds thanks to the connection medallions.

I can see massive pneumatic tube networks used to deliver messages by coinshots and lurchers. Like the ones in bank drive throughs but cooler and allomancy-er.

I love that Storm Trekkers is catching on.

20 minutes ago, Shadeshadow227 said:

...OH MY GOD...HE IS!!!

Immortal trickster, takes on multiple forms, for all intents and purposes he's basically a god (even if he isn't, he's implied to have mastered almost every magic system in the Cosmere, so already he should be more powerful than baseline Vin, Kaladin, Raoden or Vasher)...

And while kiiind of a jerk, his real purpose in the story is to inspire some grand lesson unto the protagonist du jour.

Edited by Quadrophenia

7 hours ago, Quadrophenia said:

Immortal trickster, takes on multiple forms, for all intents and purposes he's basically a god (even if he isn't, he's implied to have mastered almost every magic system in the Cosmere, so already he should be more powerful than baseline Vin, Kaladin, Raoden or Vasher)...

And while kiiind of a jerk, his real purpose in the story is to inspire some grand lesson unto the protagonist du jour.

Really? I thought Hoid's purpose was both to show that the books are connected...and to provide a million tons of comedic comments.

17 minutes ago, Shadeshadow227 said:

Really? I thought Hoid's purpose was both to show that the books are connected...and to provide a million tons of comedic comments.

10 minutes ago, bleeder said:

There's always another secret.

Too true! Too true!

Also-

Fan theory of the week, but Adolnansium is a manifestation of the Dark Tower and Hoid is hard at work maintaining the beams so reality doesn't collapse in on itself.

• 2 weeks later...

A little late here, but I fully expect some sort of cyborg thing to go on in Sci-Fi era Mistborn.  Not with the humans, but with the Kandra.  We already know they are not limited to using bones, but have used carved wood or crystal skeletons. I have this vision of the T-800 Kandra, bristling with hidden weapons...

On 10/24/2016 at 11:27 AM, Stark said:

A little late here, but I fully expect some sort of cyborg thing to go on in Sci-Fi era Mistborn.  Not with the humans, but with the Kandra.  We already know they are not limited to using bones, but have used carved wood or crystal skeletons. I have this vision of the T-800 Kandra, bristling with hidden weapons...

Huh, interesting.  I think we need to ask Brandon if a Kandra could use a metal skeleton.  Seems like it would have potential to interfere, but if it doesn't, that could lead to some crazy possibilities.

42 minutes ago, Jondesu said:

Huh, interesting.  I think we need to ask Brandon if a Kandra could use a metal skeleton.  Seems like it would have potential to interfere, but if it doesn't, that could lead to some crazy possibilities.

People already have. Emphasis added.

2. Scadrial question: We've seen Kandra True Bodies made of crystal, stone, or wood. Can a kandra use a True Body made of metal? If so, what happens if each metal "bone" had a Hemalurgic charge, and each one is touching an appropriate bind point?

2. Yes. And that would work, better than you think, because Kandra have fluid bind points. But too many spikes can be dangerous to the psyche, even with Ati not messing things up.

Edited by The One Who Connects
Emphasis

1 minute ago, The One Who Connects said:

People already have. Emphasis added.

Nice.  I think I remember seeing that now, though I'd totally forgotten.  That could be really crazy.  Without trying to make them hemalurgic spikes like that question was adding, I suspect it would work quite well.

I'd forgotten about this completely.

2 hours ago, Eki said:

BoM spoilers:

Hide contents

MeLaan already used a metal skeleton. In fact, it was aluminium.

But I was thinking of taking it a step further, rather than just using an inert framework.  Having a Kandra use a fully, or partially mechanized frame that they could control internally.  They could give themselves all kinds of neat boosts, hydraulically assisted musculature for one.  On top of all the neat weapons they could hide.  I have this vision of the Kandra becoming an amalgamation of our contemporary cyborgs: The terminators, the borg, the augmented from Ghost in the Shell,  Except with the distinct advantage of being able to shed their skeleton's at need.

Especially if Allomancy cannot touch metal within them, Kandra could become quite terrifying in the Sci-Fi era.

1 hour ago, Stark said:

I'd forgotten about this completely.

But I was thinking of taking it a step further, rather than just using an inert framework.  Having a Kandra use a fully, or partially mechanized frame that they could control internally.  They could give themselves all kinds of neat boosts, hydraulically assisted musculature for one.  On top of all the neat weapons they could hide.  I have this vision of the Kandra becoming an amalgamation of our contemporary cyborgs: The terminators, the borg, the augmented from Ghost in the Shell,  Except with the distinct advantage of being able to shed their skeleton's at need.

Especially if Allomancy cannot touch metal within them, Kandra could become quite terrifying in the Sci-Fi era.

This, this and this again.

4 hours ago, Eki said:

BoM spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

MeLaan already used a metal skeleton. In fact, it was aluminium.

Yeah, but... kandra mechs. 

Also, guys, do you think ironminds contribute to the effective weight of the Iron Compounder? Because if not, I have some pretty interesting ideas. 

53 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Also, guys, do you think ironminds contribute to the effective weight of the Iron Compounder? Because if not, I have some pretty interesting ideas. 

Iron minds have a weight for the purpose of not being truly weightless. Sazed, WoA.

I have the strangest feeling that may not be what you mean :)

Just now, The One Who Connects said:

Iron minds have a weight for the purpose of not being truly weightless. Sazed, WoA.

I have the strangest feeling that may not be what you mean :)

If an Iron Compounder (or Deader, as they have been called by members of this site) were to decrease their weight to the lowest it could go, would they be able to throw a coin in the air and "slingshot" off of it, so as to create iron-flight?

53 minutes ago, bleeder said:

If an Iron Compounder (or Deader, as they have been called by members of this site) were to decrease their weight to the lowest it could go, would they be able to throw a coin in the air and "slingshot" off of it, so as to create iron-flight?

In theory, yes, providing you have metalminds which are lighter than a coin, in which case I'm not sure whether you could keep it up for long. Though, we really have no standard for how much feruchemical charge can be stored per volume of metal so there's no way of telling. Also, clothing would be an issue as well, as that would add to the counterweight.

A similar idea though, a simpler variant on a line launcher, whereby you just remove the mechanism for winding it, just keeping the launching mechanism, and instead use iron feruchemy to pull yourself to the hook, or the hook back to the device. Once the hook gets close enough, a spring would just pull the last length in. Not sure how viable that would be though.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

Just now, Spoolofwhool said:

In theory, yes, providing you have metalminds which are lighter than a coin, in which case I'm not sure whether you could keep it up for long. Though, we really have no standard for how much feruchemical charge can be stored per volume of metal so there's no way of telling. Also, clothing would be an issue as well, as that would add to the counterweight.

A similar idea though, a simpler variant on a line launcher, whereby you just remove the mechanism for winding it, just keeping the launching mechanism, and instead use iron feruchemy to pull yourself to the hook, or the hook back to the device. Once the hook gets close enough, a spring would just pull the last length in. Not sure how viable that would be though.

We Compounders need not be viable.

11 hours ago, bleeder said:

What about, like, storing Chromium ferrings in aluminum rooms so their bad luck storing doesn't affect the rest of the world? Would that work, do you think?

With their luck, someone would probably forget to put air holes in. Typical.