Wallpaper of Final cover up on Tor

The Rooster

We finally get to see the full HD glory of the cover on Tor.  It looks for the most part exactly like the first except for the Kaladin stuff.  It might be worth it to put both side-by-side and see if there were any changes to Szeth Son Son Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar.

Edit:  The only thing that pops out new to me is the insignia on the shield of Szeth's slain enemies.  It looks like he's killed mostly Light-eyes, since the pile is full of fully armored folks and mostly swords.  Can anyone make anything out of the shield, It looks like two X's surrounding.. an eye?

post-6790-0-15513000-1390488987_thumb.jp

Edited by AG Rooster

And the full page is amazing. I like the new pose a bit better for kaladin and szeth is made awesome. Upvote for you

Rooster.

And this also lets us see the bridge 4 patch. I wish we could see the scar better but the patch itself is amazing.

Edited for spelling and phone correction issues.

Edited by Looter

Not sure if it's been mentioned, and not sure why I never noticed it before, but what is the orange line cutting across the scene in the background. It doesn't seem to flow like part of the storm and seems too large and deliberate to just be an artistic flare.

Maybe the Sun setting on the horizon? It would explain the orange cast to the clouds too, if it's sunset. Also Kaladin will glow brighter if it's darker out, which will be more awesome.

Maybe the Sun setting on the horizon? It would explain the orange cast to the clouds too, if it's sunset. Also Kaladin will glow brighter if it's darker out, which will be more awesome.

Or may be the sky is clearing behind Kaladin?

I thought of those at first as well but it's cutting straight through the middle of the clouds, as though in front of the clouds not as though it is a break in the clouds. A break in the clouds would be less symmetrical and smooth. It's poorly drawn if that is the intention (nothing against the great whelan, love your work, keep it up).

I think the orange line is the horizon at sunset, the land in the distance is just hazy. 

I really like the updated cover. Kaladin is much better, a lot more like how I picture him in my head.  Also, the storm clouds and the ground around Kaladin are more detailed and the lines are cleaner throughout.   He also removed the strange beetle-like flying creatures from the middle.  

Picture comparison under the cut!

A5cQm2l.jpg

7zRE6Yr.png

o2f6f2d.jpg

This is a marked improvement, and I'm very glad for it. The pose is the strongest yet, without all the strange anatomy issues that plagued that second cover. Kaladin finally looks his age and his features look closer to non-white than we've seen thus far. (Are those epicanthic folds I see? Thank.) Goodbye, generic FPS video game protagonist!Kaladin. I'm not sorry to say that you and your wierd 30-year-old gruff whiteness will not be missed!

The addition of rising Stormlight and the cracked earth make for a much more dynamic and interesting composition than the somewhat confusing gemheart, as well. The only thing that a little bit concerns me is the weapon at his waist, which... I suppose might be small enough to not be considered a sword, though it's rather sword-esque. I can give it a pass on grounds of possibly being a dagger or a knife, which... might not be off-limits for darkeyes, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm a fan. Thank Harmony for this revision!

The addition of rising Stormlight and the cracked earth make for a much more dynamic and interesting composition than the somewhat confusing gemheart, as well. The only thing that a little bit concerns me is the weapon at his waist, which... I suppose might be small enough to not be considered a sword, though it's rather sword-esque. I can give it a pass on grounds of possibly being a dagger or a knife, which... might not be off-limits for darkeyes, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm a fan. Thank Harmony for this revision!

If you look back to the chapter from the perspective of Cenn in WoK Kaladin is lousy with knives and daggers.  He keeps two in pouches that are strapped to his modified spear when he serves in Amaram's army. 

Edit for clarification for non US members :  To be lousy with something means to have it in excess, I'm NOT saying that he isn't good with a dagger, Stormfather forbid!

Edited by AG Rooster

If you look back to the chapter from the perspective of Cenn in WoK Kaladin is lousy with knives and daggers.  He keeps two in pouches that are strapped to his modified spear when he serves in Amaram's army. 

Edit for clarification for non US members :  To be lousy with something means to have it in excess, I'm NOT saying that he isn't good with a dagger, Stormfather forbid!

True, but little throwing knives that can be strapped to the shaft of a spear are rather different than that dagger thing that he's got strapped there. That's a blade with a hilt and haft meant to be held in hand and used to slash or strike. Which... is very sword-like. It almost looks like a short sword. I wonder if there's a length requirement for something to be considered a "sword". Anything under such-and-such length is okay for darkeyes to use, anything longer is forbidden?

Words of Radiance Chapter Spoilers:

Of course, the way Moash was asking if they would have learn how to use the sword makes me wonder if it's not actually a rule and is just tradition that darkeyes use spears and lighteyes use swords. Maybe it's not forbidden, just would be very unusual.

Eh, the artist is very skilled and detailed, but the posing is still rather goofy, if improved. Why are all the corpses in one pile, and why in the world is Szeth standing on them? Is he a cat? Does he have an overwhelming urge to be on top of things? And why is Kaladin looking out at us from the cover and ignoring the very dangerous enemy that is RIGHT THERE on top of the giant hill of dead people? Why is he punching the ground?The ground isn't the enemy, Kal. Maybe you should focus your "Hulk SMASH!" desires on the guy who's trying to kill you?

And why is Kaladin looking out at us from the cover and ignoring the very dangerous enemy that is RIGHT THERE on top of the giant hill of dead people? Why is he punching the ground?The ground isn't the enemy, Kal. Maybe you should focus your "Hulk SMASH!" desires on the guy who's trying to kill you?

I hope it is a scene like this:

And there, he saw a brilliant blue light falling through the air.

It was like a star rock, dropping at an incredible speed. Dalinar cried out as the light hit the ground a short distance away, cracking the stone, spraying rock chips in the air. The ground shook. The beasts froze.

Dalinar turned numbly to the side, then he watched in amazement as the light stood up, limbs unfolding. It wasn’t a star at all. It was a man—a man in glowing blue Shardplate, bearing a Shardblade, trails of Stormlight rising from his body.

Kaladin doing that would be awesome.

Szeth looks very creepy.  The pile of corpses has mostly swords, but there is at least one spear and a shield that seems to be marked similarly to Kaladin's shoulder-patch.  If this is accurate, the order of bone will be missing at least one. 

Shalladin! Or in this case.. Kallan?

attachicon.gifbg.jpg

Good catch, Marian! Ship confirmed! All you losers who ship Adolin/Renarin and Shallan, looks like our boy Kal is about to steal a third and take home!

Also, I really like how Kaladin is done here. Now, I know some of you may say different, but I don't think he's handsome. However, those hazel eyes of his are real pretty. Lighteyes be damnation, those are the very definition of a puppy dog gaze. This man can attract a lot of ladies with the right look.

Good catch, Marian! Ship confirmed! All you losers who ship Adolin/Renarin and Shallan, looks like our boy Kal is about to steal a third and take home!

Also, I really like how Kaladin is done here. Now, I know some of you may say different, but I don't think he's handsome. However, those hazel eyes of his are real pretty. Lighteyes be damnation, those are the very definition of a puppy dog gaze. This man can attract a lot of ladies with the right look.

*blinks* What did you just say about people who ship Shallarin? (And Shadolin?)