Wallpaper of Final cover up on Tor

The Rooster

Yeah... that's been commented on. I'm wondering if it was a deliberate thing, because Ben's mock-up of that scene definitely had a full sleeve.

Shallan-7.jpg

Why the glove instead? I hope it's not a mistake, though I'm a bit worried it might be. All of Ben's sketches show Shallan with a sleeve, while Whelan's do not. Even the last Whelan picture before the final draft shows not only Shallan with both hands fully exposed, but also her drawing left-handedly. 

Shallan-6.jpg

I don't know why he might have decided to go with a glove instead of a sleeve, but I've got a sinking feeling that it might be an inaccuracy thing. :c Perhaps not. Perhaps I'm wrong. I certainly hope so.

...I wonder what happens if a woman is born left handed.

Bad luck that. The safehand is always the left hand. (I can't recall the exact WoB at the moment, but trust me on this one).

Edited by Kurkistan

You can force left-handers to learn right handedly. It happens here on earth quite a bit. I'd imagine this happens to women on Roshar as well. I'm more curious about the ardents though. Can a female ardent write with her left hand? Can a male ardent learn to write with his left hand? Those are the questions I want answered!

From the Geranid interlude, I-8:

“She didn’t wear a sleeve on her safehand–another one of the advantages of being an ardent”

It doesn't mention a glove, but it seems to imply she doesn't need to cover her hand.

Edited by deddinty

I would normally hesitate to attribute a non-mention of a glove to its non-existence (we don't say "A man walked down the street. He was wearing pants"), but you're right that the talk of "advantages" does seem to strongly imply that she needn't cover her safehand at all.

So priests dress like prostitutes? These are the weirdest gender roles ever. At least no one asks them to cover it up solely to make men feel less embarrassed. That would break the whole "equally annoying" gender theme, and be male biased.

I do wonder how men feel about it though. "Ack, ardent safehands. Pretend it's not attractive. If anyone catches you looking at it, they'll wonder if you secretly want to read." Or something.

I would normally hesitate to attribute a non-mention of a glove to its non-existence (we don't say "A man walked down the street. He was wearing pants"), but you're right that the talk of "advantages" does seem to strongly imply that she needn't cover her safehand at all.

I agree completely, I merely wanted to reference the only direct quote we had about ardents and safehands.  I would actually imagine it's a personal choice of the ardent herself, if she wanted to cover the hand or not.  Geranid obviously had no desire to wear a sleeve and as an ardent would be allowed the choice, since the genders roles don't apply to ardents. At the very least I can't imagine that young women just entering the ardentia, raised to always cover their safehand would be immediately comfortable with it exposed.

• Chaos locked this topic