Trell actually might not be a shard we know!

Djarskublar

Interesting but there might be a problem with this since Sazed "should" identify the shardic influence if it was just the spare Ruin he split. And i don't think he would be that troubled of such little piece of splinter (and there's also that WoB about there are no splinters of Sazed in Scadrial by the time of alloy of law) that he has to focus so much considering he's a double shard and he should also understand how Ruin works since he's also half Ruin.

I know this theory is seriously grasping at straws, but I really just don't want Trell to be Autonomy or Odium. I was totally on board for Trell=Autonomy at first, but now I realize that I just don't want to read that. I also have to admit that I want more named Shards. Please.

23 minutes ago, Djarskublar said:

I know this theory is seriously grasping at straws, but I really just don't want Trell to be Autonomy or Odium. I was totally on board for Trell=Autonomy at first, but now I realize that I just don't want to read that. I also have to admit that I want more named Shards. Please.

Well you may add also Dominion to the list :ph34r:

39 minutes ago, Djarskublar said:

I too am rooting for "Trell" not being Autonomy. I've got some crazy thoughts regarding Endowment, or possibly her opposite. I personally believe that each Shard is grouped into a pairing of opposite intents. Devotion and Odium (love and hate), Dominion and Autonomy (all versus one), Cultivation and Ruin (growth / decay), for example. Since Trell was originally introduced as a god alongside Nalt (pretty close to the name Nalthis) I could see Edgli somehow being involved. Super unlikely, but still interesting to think about.

I was around when SoS came out. It was pretty much simultaneously released with the Autonomy name drop. I've personally always thought that it was a red herring, and really do hope that's the case. That being said, no matter what Branderson decides, I'm sure it'll be satisfying. So far the only thing he's written that I've been disappointed by was Calamity (particularly the ending).

8 minutes ago, Amanuensis said:

I too am rooting for "Trell" not being Autonomy. I've got some crazy thoughts regarding Endowment, or possibly her opposite. I personally believe that each Shard is grouped into a pairing of opposite intents. Devotion and Odium (love and hate), Dominion and Autonomy (all versus one), Cultivation and Ruin (growth / decay), for example. Since Trell was originally introduced as a god alongside Nalt (pretty close to the name Nalthis) I could see Edgli somehow being involved. Super unlikely, but still interesting to think about.

Well also Autonomy and Endowment may be see as opposite.

11 hours ago, Yata said:

Well also Autonomy and Endowment may be see as opposite.

Greed or Desire seems like a better match to Endowment (though we know not all Shards have perfect opposites).  Endowment is about giving; Greed and Desire are about taking.

jW

On 9/10/2016 at 2:22 AM, Amanuensis said:

Curiously enough, Nalthis is the only major Shardworld we've seen that hasn't been influenced in some way by Bavadin or Rayse (assuming that Trell is one of those).

Trell is somehow exerting influence on Scadrial, Roshar and Braize are Rayse's stomping grounds, and he drastically changed how Sel functioned. Taldain is Bavadin's world. The only world we've seen with no influence is Nalthis, which leads me to wonder if Edgli somehow has a way to ward off Rayse or Bavadin.

15 minutes ago, PantsForSquares said:

Trell is somehow exerting influence on Scadrial, Roshar and Braize are Rayse's stomping grounds, and he drastically changed how Sel functioned. Taldain is Bavadin's world. The only world we've seen with no influence is Nalthis, which leads me to wonder if Edgli somehow has a way to ward off Rayse or Bavadin.

Nalthis is also the only world we know of with only 1 Shard (that isn't Autonomy/Odium), which is probably the biggest reason for no interference. Random idea I had is that Endowment is the intent that most opposes the concept of fighting back, but that's got a confusing explanation so I'll hold off on expanding it.

Edited by The One Who Connects

4 hours ago, bleeder said:

Are we even sure if Trell is a Shard?

Best I can actually find: Source

Question:   Is there any connection between Odium and Trell?

Brandon Sanderson:    [Brandon hems and haws for a moment.] Um…yes, there is some connection. That’s a question where if you understood it then great, if you didn’t then don’t worry.

Off of memory, I slightly remember Brandon saying he was related to a shard, but currently can't find it.

18 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

Nalthis is also the only world we know of with only 1 Shard (that isn't Autonomy/Odium), which is probably the biggest reason for no interference. Random idea I had is that Endowment is the intent that most opposes the concept of fighting back, but that's got a confusing explanation so I'll hold off on expanding it.

That's somewhat odd, but possibly of interest. There's just one thing that bothers me: I just can't see why Odium would pass up an opportunity to destroy a Shardworld with only one Shard. If anything, Endowment should have been offed like Aona and Skai.

1 hour ago, PantsForSquares said:

That's somewhat odd, but possibly of interest. There's just one thing that bothers me: I just can't see why Odium would pass up an opportunity to destroy a Shardworld with only one Shard. If anything, Endowment should have been offed like Aona and Skai.

Given his fear/hatred of Harmony, he could want the potential combo's dead first. Edit: Or maybe not, quote Brandon:

leiftinspace    Can you write in one of my books about something we don;t know about the Shards, or at least one of the Shards?

Brandon Sanderson    Odium has killed at least one more Shard than the ones we know about.

To me, "at least one" sounds like there is 1 dead with the potential for more by the time we get to their books.

Edited by The One Who Connects

Regarding Trell having connection to Odium, that may be Connection with a capital 'C'. Of it is one of the sixteen originals (likely) then they knew Rayse. They have a Connection to him. Him saying if you get it then great is what suggested this to me. They don't have to be connected by working together, but by simply knowing each other a long time.

On 9/10/2016 at 3:22 AM, Amanuensis said:

I personally believe that each Shard is grouped into a pairing of opposite intents.

We have WoB that this is not the case:

CHAOS

Are Shards all paired? Does Endowment have a counterpart?

BRANDON SANDERSON

RAFO. Also, yes and no. Not all Shards have perfect counterparts like Ruin and Preservation.

QUESTION

Why were Ruin and Preservation linked together?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Because they're such perfect opposites. Basically it's just an opposites attract thing.

• 11 months later...

if you look at what Sazed says about the religion of Trelagism, Trell had a brother, Nalt, whose eye was the sun, which he made brighter than all of Trell's eyes (the stars), perhaps this represent Metals. Nalt's "eye" is harmonium, being brighter than all of the other metals, which do not necessarily belong to Trell, but are not Harmonium.

So, considering this relationship it is Possible that Trell and Harmony are opposites, Just as Ruin and Preservation were.

Edited by ethan_sedai

My theory on this is.

Trell is a combination of two shards, I believe one of those shards is Odium. I believe Odium will be destroyed at the end of the first 5 Stormlight archive books.

I believe the metal in Bleeder is a god metal, made up of Odium and the second shard he combined with.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2017 at 3:04 PM, Shuffel said:

I believe Odium will be destroyed at the end of the first 5 Stormlight archive books.

He lives. That said, he might not live through SA 10, but that's a moderate number of years later in the timeline

Q: RAFO I'm sure, but you said you are planing 2 arcs of 5 books each in Stormlight Archive. Having read all of your published works (and some unpublished:)) I know your storytelling pace is astronomically quick. I'm positive you will end current desolation story in the first 5 books, since as I understood, other 5 books will be set in near future in SA universe. So I guess my question is; can you drop any hint will Odium survive to see 6th SA book:)?

A: Oh, Odium will survive. Now, whether the one HOLDING that power will survive...that's a different question. :) (Not quite a RAFO.)

19 hours ago, Shuffel said:

Do you consider Preservation and Ruin destroyed?

R&P may not be destroyed, but I wouldn't consider Ruin or Preservation to have survived Era 1, as neither exist when Era 1 ends, having been replaced by Harmony.

So when Brandon says "Odium will survive to see SA 6," I consider it to mean the Shard Odium: whole, unmerged, etc.. at the end of the Front Five.

• Chaos locked this topic