Second Annual Sanderson Tournament Discussion

Patar

Sorry for lack of updates. I've got a big test I need to study for, so I won't be able to do much until later today. Because I won't be able to do anything, feel free to nominate today. I'll try and release brackets tomorrow or Friday.

Terribly sorry! I am now all caught up! Voting ends at Midnight EST. Get your last minute nominations in!

With that, there is something I'd like to address. As you probably noticed, I was away and unable to update anything for the past few days. I had an exam I really needed to study for, so my focus was on that. I will normally try and have the tournament run on a schedule, but there may be times where my attention will have to be elsewhere.

And have we decided yet on whether this would be teams or singles? I've been completely out of it lately, so I'm not sure if we ever decided. I'm fairly certain we have enough characters for teams. Just let me know. We COULD do singles with 64 characters, but that would take a VERY long time so I'm not sure we want to go that route.Whatever we end up choosing, I'll have the brackets out on Friday or Saturday, and the tournament can start Saturday or Sunday. Should we start a new thread once the actual tournament starts, or just keep it here?   

I got impatient and counted the nominations myself, so:

I think you're missing one nomination for Szeth. He should have 27 nominations, but you list him as having only 26:

On 9/4/2016 at 8:02 PM, Elenion said:

I'm in. I'd prefer 32 for the sake of time, but would be cool with 64 as well. As for nominations:

Kaladin x1

Adolin x1

Szeth x1

Kelsier x1

Vin x1

On 9/5/2016 at 11:16 PM, Elenion said:

Szeth x3

Adolin x2

1+3=4

On 9/6/2016 at 6:00 PM, Magestar said:

So, when I nominate, should I provide a reason as well?

It's been 24 hours, so;

Marsh x4

Szeth x1

Marsh, because I think he has the potential to win this.  We're using his latest version, right?  Or at least inquisitor!Marsh?  Also, he's a fantastic character.  I would nominate other characters, but I get the feeling that they don't have the power level to win this.  It's going to be sort of like a brawl?   Szeth, because he's just that awesome.  He needs to be in here, plus, he's got the power level to win this, potentially.  This is Honorblade!Szeth, because we don't know enough about the new Szeth, and we already have Nightblood as a nominee.

I would suggest Hrathen, but he's just a cool plot character, and literally has no brawl-winning abilities.

4+1=5

On 9/8/2016 at 0:28 AM, Elenion said:

Szeth x5 because I really want to see some Division/Gravitation shenanigans.

Also, if I've got time I might take a crack at narrating some of these battles.

5+5=10

On 9/8/2016 at 6:58 AM, Magestar said:

Definitely been 24 Hours.

Marsh X4,

Szeth X1.

Lets go.

10+1=11

On 9/9/2016 at 1:35 AM, Elenion said:

It's been 24 hours!

Mr. T (Taravangian) x2

Szeth x3

11+3=14

On 9/9/2016 at 3:31 AM, Darkness Ascendant said:

Szeth x3

Nightblood x2

I would like to see how they battle the sword on itself

14+3=17

On 9/10/2016 at 2:28 AM, Elenion said:

Szeth x2

Adolin x3

17+2=19

On 9/10/2016 at 9:32 AM, I_am_a_Stick said:

Khriss x2

vin x1

Szeth x2

uh, is Nightblood counted as a character?

19+2=21

On 9/12/2016 at 0:16 AM, Elenion said:

Szeth x5! Take that, Marsh!

(Nothing personal, I just like Szeth better).

I'm for no seeding, because then characters #33-64 would be overshadowed by their big-name companions. I think the best option is just 1v1 with the top 32.

21+5=26

On 9/13/2016 at 6:40 AM, I_am_a_Stick said:

MeLaan x1

Pattern x1

Taravngian x1

Hoid x1

Szeth x1

26+1=27

You have an extra vote for Shai, unless you found one other than the six here, here and here.

And you've neglected to account for the fact that (Bands of Mourning spoilers)

Spoiler

Sequence and Telsin are the same person.

Meanwhile, I think @Eccentric Hero might have accidentally nominated twice one day. He nominated at the following times (in [US] Eastern Daylight Time): 9/5 15:03; 9/6 9:55; 9/6 21:38; 9/7 21:01; 9/8 14:24; 9/9 13:50; 9/10 15:51; 9/11 17:09; 9/12 20:29; 9/13 9:50; 9/14 18:34; 9/15 9:41. That's 12 votes in under 10 days; there's no way to break that up into 24-hour periods with one vote each. So I'd probably discount the nominations here, which would affect seeding slightly (if you're even doing that) but isn't likely to change which characters qualify.

And if we're still nominating:

Renarin x1

Shallan x1

Megan x1

Lift x2

Edited by Zizoz
Updated Szeth's count past 8:30 p.m. Monday

Done! Thanks a bunch for catching all that, as I said I've been out of it recently.

I'm also leaning towards just having 32 contestants, I could do teams of two, but it might get all jumbled up. Regardless of teams or singles, should we do a seeded tournament or randomize the fights? 

I think you're still missing one nomination for Szeth – I originally composed the post before your last update, which is why I said he should have 26, but he got one more after that so it should be 27.

Edited by Zizoz

2 hours ago, Patar said:

Should we start a new thread once the actual tournament starts, or just keep it here?  

A new thread is the way to go. I think it will allow people to jump in much easier.

Also, if we wanted to do 64 without teams, you could run 2 fights at once, allowing people to vote/pontificate on them simultaneously.

Bloodsealer x1 (did we ever get a name for him?)

Eshonai x1

Susebron x3