Brandon Sanderson-esque books

I'm on the 5th book of Wheel of Time now and can confirm that it fits your criteria perfectly. If I'm not mistaken, WoT was Brandon's favorite series and a huge inspiration to him, plus he even wrote the last few books after the original author passed away, so if those two reasons aren't incentive enough to read them as a Sanderfan, then I don't know what will convince you.

Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne is a trilogy of books (The Emperor's Blades, The Providence of Fire, and The Last Moral Bond) that are pretty close in genre. Though not my favorite series by far, it was definitely good enough to warrant a read. The Powder Mage Trilogy (Promise of Blood, the Crimson Campaign, and the Autumn Republic) is also an option. I personally didn't like it that much, but the first book at least received some praise from Brandon, and apparently it's got a lot of novellas too that you can read for extra insight into the world and characters.

Edited by Amanuensis

The closest thing that I have read recently that is "Sanderson-esque" is the "Codex Alera" by Jim Butcher. It is a 6 book series (fully completed btw) that is quite good. I enjoyed the magic system, the character development was on point and there is a solid plot. It has some weaknesses and flaws but, overall, I would strongly recommend it.

Another close contender for "Sanderson-esque" is the "Lightbringer" series by Brent Weeks. I believe it is still ongoing. It has a really cool magic system, that was one of my favorite parts about the series. There are some interesting characters and a nifty world to go with it. I, personally, feel it is dragging out a bit but I would still recommend it.

The "Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan is great but it is very long (14 books! 3 of them by Brandon). It has some great characters (and some awful ones), it has a fleshed out magic system, it has adventure, world building, political intrigue and lots and lots of dresses haha. If you enjoy fantasy books I think you will enjoy WoT but it is quite a commitment.

"Blood Song" by Anthony Ryan is a fantastic book that I would highly recommend. The other two in the trilogy (cannot remember their names off the top of my head) were a bit of a let down imo but I do know some people who enjoyed the whole series.

"The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch is another incredible book that I could not recommend enough. It is fun, witty, exciting and more! It does have a lot of language (no made up curses here) and there are a few rather gritty scenes (somebody gets some serious payback against their enemy) but nothing sexual. I absolutely hated the next two books in the series (it is ongoing) and definitely do not recommend them but YMMV.

As @Amanuensis said the "Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne" trilogy and the "Powder Mage" trilogy are both options. I have read both series and found them, generally, lacking for a variety of reasons. They were decent reads but nothing that I really got excited about.

Umm, hmmm, what else. There is some older sci-fi/fantasy novels you might try. "The Rowan" by Anne McCaffrey, the original "Dragonlance" trilogy by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, "Dune" by Frank Herbert, the "Belgariad" by David Eddings (if you read this series then please read "Belgarath the Sorcerer" after - that is one of my all-time favorite books!), "the Redemption of Althalus" by David Eddings, "Starship Troopers" by Robert A. Heinlein, the "Hitchhiker's Guide" series by Douglas Adams. Oh, if you want a non-fantasy fiction work that is just absolutely incredible then please read "the Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas - the plot in that book is incredibly well done I literally cannot explain in words how much I love it.

I'm sure I am forgetting some other good material and, if I think of it, I will either edit this comment or post a new one. Happy reading!

1 hour ago, CaptainRyan said:

The closest thing that I have read recently that is "Sanderson-esque" is the "Codex Alera" by Jim Butcher. It is a 6 book series (fully completed btw) that is quite good. I enjoyed the magic system, the character development was on point and there is a solid plot. It has some weaknesses and flaws but, overall, I would strongly recommend it.

Another close contender for "Sanderson-esque" is the "Lightbringer" series by Brent Weeks. I believe it is still ongoing. It has a really cool magic system, that was one of my favorite parts about the series. There are some interesting characters and a nifty world to go with it. I, personally, feel it is dragging out a bit but I would still recommend it.

The "Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan is great but it is very long (14 books! 3 of them by Brandon). It has some great characters (and some awful ones), it has a fleshed out magic system, it has adventure, world building, political intrigue and lots and lots of dresses haha. If you enjoy fantasy books I think you will enjoy WoT but it is quite a commitment.

"Blood Song" by Anthony Ryan is a fantastic book that I would highly recommend. The other two in the trilogy (cannot remember their names off the top of my head) were a bit of a let down imo but I do know some people who enjoyed the whole series.

"The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch is another incredible book that I could not recommend enough. It is fun, witty, exciting and more! It does have a lot of language (no made up curses here) and there are a few rather gritty scenes (somebody gets some serious payback against their enemy) but nothing sexual. I absolutely hated the next two books in the series (it is ongoing) and definitely do not recommend them but YMMV.

As @Amanuensis said the "Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne" trilogy and the "Powder Mage" trilogy are both options. I have read both series and found them, generally, lacking for a variety of reasons. They were decent reads but nothing that I really got excited about.

Umm, hmmm, what else. There is some older sci-fi/fantasy novels you might try. "The Rowan" by Anne McCaffrey, the original "Dragonlance" trilogy by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, "Dune" by Frank Herbert, the "Belgariad" by David Eddings (if you read this series then please read "Belgarath the Sorcerer" after - that is one of my all-time favorite books!), "the Redemption of Althalus" by David Eddings, "Starship Troopers" by Robert A. Heinlein, the "Hitchhiker's Guide" series by Douglas Adams. Oh, if you want a non-fantasy fiction work that is just absolutely incredible then please read "the Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas - the plot in that book is incredibly well done I literally cannot explain in words how much I love it.

I'm sure I am forgetting some other good material and, if I think of it, I will either edit this comment or post a new one. Happy reading!

Okay, thank you for the feedback. I've definitely read a few of them, but I'll try and add these titles to my list.

I guess it all depends on what you mean by "Sanderson-esque." ASoIaF, LoTR, and The Kingkiller Chronicle don't strike me as being particularly Sanderson-esque, even though there is a lot of  overlap in the readership. So it sounds like you're interested more in epic high fantasy than someone that might remind you of his writing (not a criticism, by the way; just clarifying).

Everyone above has already mentioned the usual suspects, like Brian McLellan and Brent Weeks. If we're just talking about big, epic fantasy, then there's a lot more to recommend. Here's some I have seen mentioned:

The Second Apocalypse by R. Scott Bakker

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson

The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson

The Dagger and the Coin by Daniel Abraham

The Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham

The Realm of the Elderlings by Robin Hobb

Now, I haven't actually read The Malazan Book of the Fallen, though I intend to get back to it one day (I gave up partway through the first book because I didn't like any of the characters). It's one of the most popular epic fantasy series out there, so I had to include it.

Also, I don't quite know what to say about Thomas Covenant. I guess I'm glad that I read it, but it's frustrating. It's not just that the title character was intentionally written to be an unsympathetic character. I get what the author is doing there, and I can respect it, even if it gets really annoying. It's also the writing. Beyond most of the characters speaking in flowery, pseudo-archaic language, the word choice outside of dialogue can be grating. I swear, H.P. Lovecraft would tell Donaldson to chill out with using "eldritch" all the time.

The rest of the series I mentioned are awesome, though.

Just now, DSC01 said:

I guess it all depends on what you mean by "Sanderson-esque." ASoIaF, LoTR, and The Kingkiller Chronicle don't strike me as being particularly Sanderson-esque, even though there is a lot of  overlap in the readership. So it sounds like you're interested more in epic high fantasy than someone that might remind you of his writing (not a criticism, by the way; just clarifying).

Everyone above has already mentioned the usual suspects, like Brian McLellan and Brent Weeks. If we're just talking about big, epic fantasy, then there's a lot more to recommend. Here's some I have seen mentioned:

The Second Apocalypse by R. Scott Bakker

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson

The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson

The Dagger and the Coin by Daniel Abraham

The Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham

The Realm of the Elderlings by Robin Hobb

Now, I haven't actually read The Malazan Book of the Fallen, though I intend to get back to it one day (I gave up partway through the first book because I didn't like any of the characters). It's one of the most popular epic fantasy series out there, so I had to include it.

Also, I don't quite know what to say about Thomas Covenant. I guess I'm glad that I read it, but it's frustrating. It's not just that the title character was intentionally written to be an unsympathetic character. I get what the author is doing there, and I can respect it, even if it gets really annoying. It's also the writing. Beyond most of the characters speaking in flowery, pseudo-archaic language, the word choice outside of dialogue can be grating. I swear, H.P. Lovecraft would tell Donaldson to chill out with using "eldritch" all the time.

The rest of the series I mentioned are awesome, though.

I also tried the Malazan book of the Fallen but I also gave up. I am currently reading the long price quartet. I have heard that it gets much better after the first. Is that true? by the way, thank for the feedback.

It's been a few years since I read them, so I don't know. I liked them all the way through, as I recall. I do remember that each volume takes place 15 years after the last, and it worked really well for the series. It's not a typical epic fantasy story, in a lot of ways, but I really liked it. I don't recall that there's anything in the way of action and adventure in it, though. 

9 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

I'm pretty sure that there is another thread on this but here's a series you must read.

But only if your age permits it cos' it's really intense.

The Traitor Son Cycle. 

Speaking of the age thing, I probably should have issued a similar warning for The Second Apocalypse. You really should not be reading that if you're a kid. People talk about ASoIaF being dark and gritty, but it seems as mild as The Chronicles of Narnia, compared to The Second Apocalypse. Seriously. 

54 minutes ago, DSC01 said:

Speaking of the age thing, I probably should have issued a similar warning for The Second Apocalypse. You really should not be reading that if you're a kid. People talk about ASoIaF being dark and gritty, but it seems as mild as The Chronicles of Narnia, compared to The Second Apocalypse. Seriously. 

Pffft. Read it anyway. It only traumatises adult readers, what's the worse it can do to a kid? :P (kid defined here as being in the eighth grade or above).

Ultimately, it depends on the person. I read Dante's Divine Comedy in sixth grade and I turned out fine!

1 minute ago, Orlion Determined said:

Pffft. Read it anyway. It only traumatises adult readers, what's the worse it can do to a kid? :P (kid defined here as being in the eighth grade or above).

Ultimately, it depends on the person. I read Dante's Divine Comedy in sixth grade and I turned out fine!

I read stuff that was probably a little more mature than I should have been when I was a kid, too, but The Second Apocalypse is a lot more messed up than anything I ever read as a kid. I know a lot of adults that I would warn away from the series.

15 hours ago, Jondesu said:

We get requests like this often enough, has anyone put together a list on something like GoodReads that can be accessed easily?

jW

I didn't make this one; it was created and voted on by GoodReads at large, but it seems relevant to this question: Best Epic Fantasy.

Edited by Sunbird

17 hours ago, Sunbird said:

I didn't make this one; it was created and voted on by GoodReads at large, but it seems relevant to this question: Best Epic Fantasy.

Thanks! Added a bunch of those to my "Want to Read" shelf. I might add a link to my shelves in my signature if I can decide on a good looking way.

jW

Can you maybe tell me which parts of Second Apocalypse do you consider messed up? I read some very dark and gritty stuff, so my tolerance for messed up is really high. So I don't notice a lot of stuff. But I would be really grateful if you told me what you consider messed up in this series. I would love to know how other ppl think. :D

28 minutes ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

I'm only twelve but I tend to read kinda gritty stuff. Ever read the Steel Remains? Is that the grit-level of 2nd apoc. and Traitor son?

Traitor son is not gritty and would only read the first...big drop in quality after that imo. If Morgan's Steel Remains doesn't bother you then 2nd apocalypse shouldn't be a shock

3 hours ago, Pestis the Spider said:

Can you maybe tell me which parts of Second Apocalypse do you consider messed up? I read some very dark and gritty stuff, so my tolerance for messed up is really high. So I don't notice a lot of stuff. But I would be really grateful if you told me what you consider messed up in this series. I would love to know how other ppl think. :D

For me, it was Khellus. He is by far  one of the most interesting characters I've read, but

Spoiler

The way he manipulates people, and how convincing that's demonstrated, kinda created a little existential quandary into what, exactly, is an individual and what its freewill consists of. Great stuff, but sometimes my mind doesn't want to have its autonomy questioned.

Also, book spoiler and a potentially graphic... Seriously, heed that last part, I'm sharing a specific instance that messed me up for a few hours, as far as I'm concerned, the Red Wedding doesn't have rust on this scene...no, don't click it to satisfy your morbid curiosity! Don't do it!

Spoiler

On further consideration, this is kinda a family site. It would have been irresponsible of me to keep this spoiler unedited, since a mod could be reasonably expected to edit it.

Edited by Orlion Determined
Adding stronger warning

9 hours ago, Orlion Determined said:

Hide contents

On further consideration, this is kinda a family site. It would have been irresponsible of me to keep this spoiler unedited, since a mod could be reasonably expected to edit it.

Any chance I could get this spoiler in PM, since you deleted it from your post? I'm curious. 

12 hours ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

I'm only twelve but I tend to read kinda gritty stuff. Ever read the Steel Remains? Is that the grit-level of 2nd apoc. and Traitor son?

You are 12 years old? Then you have the perfect age to jump into series such as WoT and Codex Alera. Older people would be turned off by some of their flaws, but as a younger reader they would probably not seem like flaws to you. Codex didn't work out for me, but it would have probably worked out had I read it many years ago. I felt the character development was not up to par with what I currently enjoy reading, but I also think it is a grown-up problem which you are bless fully free of. So happy read.

Blood Song is fantastic, but the sequels are disappointing. You might want to read it as a standalone: young boy gets send into a martial-art monk-like training school. It is a crowd-pleaser, everyone loves Blood Song.

You might want to check Eddings: you sure are within the right age frame to appreciate it. Often, it feels as if the older stuff is filled with tropes and cliches which turns off some readers, I take the educated guess a young reader wouldn't mind those. Yet. But I may be wrong.

I heard Sullivan was a great fun read. I haven't picked it up myself, but I intend to. A lot of good comments on that one everywhere.

And huh guys Baker for a 12 years old? Huh... maybe it is the parent in I speaking, but that seems a bit intense. I wouldn't recommend it to someone this age. It features graphic content made up for a mature audience (it is quite messed up actually and not in a good way) and quite frankly, there are so many books which are plenty enjoyable for the young people out there, I failed to see why they should read Baker. I didn't even made it pass the first book due to a complete lack of enjoyment in the series.

The Old Kingdoms Trilogy by Garth Nix.

I remember reading it a few years ago, and really liked it then. I haven't read it since -so I cn't say whether or not it's held up- but it was certainly something I enjoyed. As far as Sanderson-isms go, it's got a pretty in-depth explanation of it's magic system, so that's always cool.