a few strange questions

DrakeMarshall

Question

A few random questions that we probably don't have any answers to, but still fun to ask.

We have good reason to believe that a copper cloud would effect other forms of magic from scadrial ones... So what would duraluminum burning do to these? For that matter, what would duraluminum burning do to something like feruchemy, which has no constraint for rate of use anyway?

Something along similar lines... Could you use emotional allomancy to mind control somebody who was currently essence stamped?

Could you store something like stormlight or biochromatic breath in a nicrosilmind? For the breath that's pretty useless since you can store it in practically anything, but for the stormlight, maybe that would let you store it in a way that keeps it from slowly fading over time. Or would the nicrosilmind perhaps be able to alter the strength of a nahel bond instead...? That seems to paralell what nicrosil did for allomancy in BoM except the connection was to preservation and not a splinter of honor.

What happens if there's a highstorm in sub-zero temperature? Does it create a huge snow/hail storm? Does rosharian climate ever even reach sub-zero?

7 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

We have good reason to believe that a copper cloud would effect other forms of magic from scadrial ones... So what would duraluminum burning do to these? For that matter, what would duraluminum burning do to something like feruchemy, which has no constraint for rate of use anyway?

We have reason to believe that copper, bronze and aluminum would all work on foreign investiture, so there is good reason to think that duralumin (and nicrosil and chromium) would as well.  as for what it would do for certain different kinds of invesiture, it is hard to say.  for ferruchemy, my guess would be that it lowers the penalty for drawing a lot of an attribute all at once(sazed mentions this early on: there is some lost power when drawing a lot of a stored attribute at once), but it may also force you to draw out all of the stored attribute too (though maybe only if you were already tapping the attribute when you burned the duralumin).

21 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

Something along similar lines... Could you use emotional allomancy to mind control somebody who was currently essence stamped?

I assume you mean this in the way that the Kandra and Koloss can be mind controlled with a large burst of emotiional allomancy.  in that case, I would guess no.  that seemed to be a flaw/feature specific to hemalurgy, I doubt it would be that easily replicated in other systems.

I shall take a stab at these! Incoming wild guesses!

18 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

Duralumin only boosts Allomancy (wild guess).

19 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

No. (moderate guess) The amount of spikes required to control a human is four (4). Soul stamps are far too weak of an Investiture to mimic four spikes. Even if a soul stamp was somehow comparable to four spikes I would still rate it as "unlikely" as a soul stamp rewrites your history whereas a spike staples on someone else's history - this makes me believe the "staples" provide some sort of "grip" whereas a soul stamp would be "smooth".

21 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

Could you store something like stormlight or biochromatic breath in a nicrosilmind? For the breath that's pretty useless since you can store it in practically anything, but for the stormlight, maybe that would let you store it in a way that keeps it from slowly fading over time. Or would the nicrosilmind perhaps be able to alter the strength of a nahel bond instead...? That seems to paralell what nicrosil did for allomancy in BoM except the connection was to preservation and not a splinter of honor.

I think your final guess is probably somewhat accurate. Nicrosil would enhance the strength of the Surge - perhaps it would reduce the Stormlight cost for lashings, enhance the pull of a reverse lashing, reduce the Stormlight drain of an image etc.

22 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

What happens if there's a highstorm in sub-zero temperature? Does it create a huge snow/hail storm? Does rosharian climate ever even reach sub-zero?

Yes, a highblizzard would be the result. The continent of Roshar probably reaches subzero temps on some of the mountain tops (the Peaks where the Horneaters live are supposedly very, very cold outside the range of the hot springs). The Frostlands might reach subzero during winter? I would imagine there has to be somewhere on the planet that does but on the pangea-esque Rosharan continent? I would go with a yes (moderate guess).

17 hours ago, CaptainRyan said:

No. (moderate guess) The amount of spikes required to control a human is four (4). Soul stamps are far too weak of an Investiture to mimic four spikes. Even if a soul stamp was somehow comparable to four spikes I would still rate it as "unlikely" as a soul stamp rewrites your history whereas a spike staples on someone else's history - this makes me believe the "staples" provide some sort of "grip" whereas a soul stamp would be "smooth".

Like Re-Molding a sculpture, nice and smooth (Soul Stamps.) as opposed to gluing horns onto it. (Hemalurgy.)

Edited by Magestar
I just had to say this.

In all fairness... One can't always claim that hemalurgy lacks subtlety. But this doesn't really change the fact that it is a far more invasive method of spiritual alteration and is vastly more likely to be vulnerable. Essence stamps only work if they are pretty believable alternate histories, so they aren't twisting your soul out of shape or putting holes in it too much. I imagine that alternate magic systems could theoretically create an individual similarly vulnerable to mind control, but soul forging is unlikely to produce such an effect...

On 1-7-2016 at 2:20 AM, CaptainRyan said:

Duralumin only boosts Allomancy (wild guess).

We have confirmation that Chromium can work on other forms of investure, and the same goes for Aluminium. So it seems more likely that Duralumin and Nicrosil also work on other forms of Investure.

3 hours ago, kenod said:

We have confirmation that Chromium can work on other forms of investure, and the same goes for Aluminium. So it seems more likely that Duralumin and Nicrosil also work on other forms of Investure.

Because of the way Duralumin works, it could only boost other magic systems the person burning the Duralumin is actively using. That limits the likelihood we'll see it used that way significantly, since it would probably require Hemalurgy or medallions to even have a chance of happening.

jW

On 7/2/2016 at 10:12 AM, Jondesu said:

Because of the way Duralumin works, it could only boost other magic systems the person burning the Duralumin is actively using. That limits the likelihood we'll see it used that way significantly, since it would probably require Hemalurgy or medallions to even have a chance of happening.

jW

definitely, but in theory I think it probably could work