Autonomy!

Green Hoodie Mistborn

Yeah, I just read the quote. He starts out saying that asking about the location of a shard on the sun was a very good question and clarifies the original question from, "Is there only one shard on Taldain?" to the answer, "There is just one shard in the solar system". That rules out two, but does not say that the location of Taldain's shard is not on its sun. It left me wondering about his word-smithing.

To be honest about my opinion, I have a hard time saying that any living being is on the sun; just not like Brandon to have a conflicted physics thing going. But if he were on the sun side in space, or in orbit, but not in the sun, I can see some sneaky hinting there. Also, his perpendicularity need not reside where he does. Perpendicularity can be on the planet, while his avatar is not. We saw this with Sel, Roshar and to an extent in latter Mistborn. If Honor's perpendicularity still works, and he is dead, why not residing in orbit? 

That all said, I would find it more pleasing if Autonomy were on the planet.

I find it extremely unlikely Autonomy is not on Taldain itself.

And as for perpendicularity location, we have yet to see a perpendicularity for a Shard manifest somewhere they haven't invested themselves. It wouldn't make sense for Autonomy to be floating in space or on the sun, yet have invested himself on Taldain, IMO.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2016 at 8:36 AM, Pathfinder said:

Well the shard would either not invest at all (doesn't want to be bothered), or invest completely so it doesn't have to make any choices "here's all this power, now leave me alone." The planet would be made up of either humanoid snails or sloths. There abilities would be time travel. If they got into a situation they didn't like, they would either hop into the future, or hop into the past, so they could avoid ever dealing with it, and they wouldn't have to make any physical effort to get rid of it.  

So... Calvin becomes a shardholder? That would explain so much.

• 1 month later...

Considering clues from Arcanium 

Spoiler

Taldain doesn't have a perpendicularity

this makes a lot of sense for the shard to be in the sun. That is really a brilliant place, if you are immortal and have more power than you know what to do with. It gives you maximum reach to other worlds as well, because you are a freaking star, as well as the ability to influence life on your world. It is where I would have picked. 

The magic seems tied to either sunlight or aurora, both would be solar in origin. It also explains why the sun hasn't killed them yet. A gravitationally locked planet is very hard to sustain life on, on the sunward side. 

The problem Harmony is having could also be an extended solar wind, provided the stars are probably less than a few hundred light years apart. It just takes the solar wind a while to get there. Or perhaps it is all the sunlight. Either way, entirely solar. 

@ZenBossanova may I ask you where in the Arcanum it's suggested the spoiler part ? Because I don't remember nothing like that.

About the "Shard have to be in the Sun because the Light is invested". It's a false argument, if may be true or false. But Light may be Invested also if Autonomy is Invested in Taldain itself

2 hours ago, ZenBossanova said:

Yata,

that is a good question. I remember seeing it, but now that I try to put my finger on it, I don't remember exactly where. I am 99% certain it was the AU. 

And as for the light, investiture in Taldain is possible (you are correct), but it works much more naturally and elegantly if it is the sun. 

Taldain is currently inaccessible in the Cosmere. That's all we 'officially' know. If you've gotten a hold of a copy of AU already, then any non-previewed information isn't legal tender on the board for another 5 days (street date for the book is Nov 22nd, and some of us will be picking it up to read over our lunch breaks). So, if you're referring to the Taldain essay, we might need to take a rain check on this convo until next week.

If the perpendicularity is on the sun, then how did Khriss get off-world to begin with? Doesn't add up. I think it makes more sense that Autonomy has divested himself (post-Khriss leaving the planet) from Taldain and is trying to Invest Scadrial, so there's no longer a perpendicularity to access the Physical Realm on Taldain.

Maybe there is a less "magical" reason to Taldain's inaccessibility. The Perpendicularity may be reclamed from a local organization/group and well guarded...whatever emerge from there is killed. Or also maybe the Perpendicularity is "sealed", and yes I talk about a big object placed in the perpendicularity to avoid everyone from made a transition

Reminder everyone, Arcanum Unbounded is only to be discussed on the Cosmere Theories boards (Except for Edgedancer or Secret History, which can be discussed in their own spoiler sub-boards). It does not matter whether or not you have a spoiler tag, it's not currently permitted to talk about it elsewhere. The conversation you are having here has been occurring over there already, so please no further discussion here.

27 minutes ago, Windrunner said:

Reminder everyone, Arcanum Unbounded is only to be discussed on the Cosmere Theories boards (Except for Edgedancer or Secret History, which can be discussed in their own spoiler sub-boards). It does not matter whether or not you have a spoiler tag, it's not currently permitted to talk about it elsewhere. The conversation you are having here has been occurring over there already, so please no further discussion here.

I agree with combining topics, but as I understood the spoiler policy, discussion of essay material is not confined to a single forum ("Spoilers are okay"), but any new topics should be placed in Cosmere Theories? Even Edgedancer information is explicity allowed outside the Cosmere Theories and Edgedancer subforums, as long as it is in spoiler tags. Could you please clarify whether or not all AU information is allowed in individual series subforums?

Yeah, of course. I just got done talking to Eric, and we had a bit of a miscommunication. Marked spoilers for UA are fine, but if they're not in a marked topic they must be in spoiler tags. There were quite a few components of that previous conversation that needed to be in spoiler tags, and as we agreed that the conversation is redundant, I'm going to leave it hidden for now and direct you guys to the already existing topics on this subject in the Cosmere Spoilers board.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 4:53 PM, PallonianFire said:

If the perpendicularity is on the sun, then how did Khriss get off-world to begin with? Doesn't add up. I think it makes more sense that Autonomy has divested himself (post-Khriss leaving the planet) from Taldain and is trying to Invest Scadrial, so there's no longer a perpendicularity to access the Physical Realm on Taldain.

@PallonianFire Yeah, but doesn't that still leave open the possibility that Autonomy is divesting himself from the Taldainian system's "Sun" and is trying to Invest Scadrial?

Your idea is valid but it does nothing to suggest that Autonomy had to be invested on Taldain itself. Khriss getting off-world could be possible via a Taldainian magic system (e.g. Elsecallers on Roshar).

Edited by KidWayne

1 hour ago, KidWayne said:

@PallonianFire Yeah, but doesn't that still leave open the possibility that Autonomy is divesting himself from the Taldainian system's "Sun" and is trying to Invest Scadrial?

Your idea is valid but it does nothing to suggest that Autonomy had to be invested on Taldain itself. Khriss getting off-world could be possible via a Taldainian magic system (e.g. Elsecallers on Roshar).

That's true, but we haven't seen any evidence to suggest that might be the case. On the other hand, we know that when Shards invest in a planet, you get a perpendicularity that people can use to worldhop. It's a lot simpler to go with the explanation based in something we already know (Autonomy being invested in the planet itself and having a Shardpool there) rather than inventing a new magic system to explain it.

I think AU pretty strongly implies that Khriss used a perpendicularity.

Spoiler

It directly connects Taldain's isolation with Autonomy's leaving. If Khriss had some other way to leave Taldain then it doesn't make sense why she can't get back the same way.