Edgedancer: can't unhear it...

Mason Wheeler

48 minutes ago, Mason Wheeler said:

Yes, it just came out today.  You don't have it in your email?

It was in spam.

50 minutes ago, Stormgate said:

Is talking about the excerpt forbidden?  Because I think that guard lady who chased Lift (unsuccessfully, as it turned out,) deserves some attention. She may be a candidate for one of the unseen Orders.

Why do you think so?

I found the Tashikk religion more interesting:

They were in home lands, and the need to cover up before Nun Raylisi--the enemy of their god--was minimal. Tashi supposedly protected them here.

That name sounds a lot like Rayse; they could refer to Honor as Tashi. It sounds suspiciously like the Purelake religion... except Nu Ralik is the one they worship, and Vun Makak is the spoiled younger brother.

Linguistically, there may be another connection between the Purelake and Tashikk. The Purelake POV is of Ishikk; there's a double-K, so there might be a language connection between the two. Which would be kind of odd, since the two places are part of different Silver Kingdoms. Maybe a mass exodus? Ancient refugees?

Eh, that's too much extrapolation for something that has admitted worldbuilding errors. I'll revisit this train of thought in November.

1 hour ago, Oversleep said:

Why do you think so?

My first clue was that she wanted infused spheres, but that was for reading. Then, she has an almost uncanny ability to determine guilt. Sanderson didn't have to have the part with the "farmer," it's something that he put in there, possibly to clue us about a proto-Radiant. It's possible that she could have the potential to be a Skybreaker, a good one, or perhaps another order with attributes concerned with noticing details.

Plus they take her word for it despite how much of a flimsy connection is behind her theory (and no decisive evidence), so perhaps she does this sort of thing often and is usually right? Definitely strange.

There's not really a way to do get the one that just went out. Brandon asks that the excerpts not be posted publicly, as they're for people who are on the newsletter mailing list only. Perhaps you can get someone to forward the email to you? So that you definitely get them from here on out, you can sign up to receive it here.

9 hours ago, Stormgate said:

Is talking about the excerpt forbidden?  Because I think that guard lady who chased Lift (unsuccessfully, as it turned out,) deserves some attention. She may be a candidate for one of the unseen Orders.

I don't think talking about the excerpt is forbidden, as long as we don't share it. 

Spoiler

First, it was fun to read about Lift hitting trees and stones with her face while she was figuring out her power :D I'm also very happy about the paragraph where she almost explicitly mentions what she asked of Nightwatcher! Although, I have no idea what kind of interpretation Nightwatcher found for her wish and what's the other side of it.

As for the candidates for new Radiants, well Darkness is in Yeddaw for a reason and that reason is most likely a new Radiant... I suspect that Lift will save this new Radiant from him, while eating all the pancakes :D

12 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

I found the Tashikk religion more interesting:

Hide contents

That name sounds a lot like Rayse; they could refer to Honor as Tashi.

Spoiler

I made that connection with Rayse and Tanavast as well.

As for the guard:

Spoiler

When she mentioned that Nale had gone to Yeddaw, I assumed we'd be running into the proto-radiant he's trying to kill. If Hauka is good at determining who is guilty, perhaps she's a proto-skybreaker, and he's there to recruit her instead?

6 hours ago, Elendtheking said:

I can't find the newsletter. How can someone have access to it, please?

6 hours ago, Windrunner said:

There's not really a way to do get the one that just went out. Brandon asks that the excerpts not be posted publicly, as they're for people who are on the newsletter mailing list only. Perhaps you can get someone to forward the email to you? So that you definitely get them from here on out, you can sign up to receive it here.

When I signed up for the newsletter, I received the most recent newsletter the next day. Either I picked a fortuitous day to get onboard, or they send you the latest newsletter when you sign up. So, I think you can still get it.

I also found it very interesting that:

Spoiler

By coating her entire body with "awesomeness" she was not even subject to wind resistance. Given that in order for a blade to cut you, requires friction of the sharp side to slice you open, could an edgedancer actually be cut while being frictionless? Then again if that was true, then when she was completely coated, she shouldn't have been able to slam into a tree, so there are probably limitations

Edited by Pathfinder

10 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

I also found it very interesting that:

Hide contents

By coating her entire body with "awesomeness" she was not even subject to wind resistance. Given that in order for a blade to cut you, requires friction of the sharp side to slice you open, could an edgedancer actually be cut while being frictionless? Then again if that was true, then when she was completely coated, she shouldn't have been able to slam into a tree, so there are probably limitations

I'd actually think swords would be more effective against a fully "awesome" Edgedancer; you can break the skin with an impact even without a blade, if there's no friction between the blade and the target's body body, it will cut as easily as a Shardblade. If air can get past the blade into the body cavity, there's no suction force. Athough, that would assume that a disemboweled Edgedancer would be extending their powers to their innards, which would be a tremendously bad idea and something they'd probably instinctively avoid.

6 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Hide contents

I'd actually think swords would be more effective against a fully "awesome" Edgedancer; you can break the skin with an impact even without a blade, if there's no friction between the blade and the target's body body, it will cut as easily as a Shardblade. If air can get past the blade into the body cavity, there's no suction force. Athough, that would assume that a disemboweled Edgedancer would be extending their powers to their innards, which would be a tremendously bad idea and something they'd probably instinctively avoid.

I was going on this premise:

Spoiler

"

Creating a strong tearing force when slicing is also why it's essential that your knife be sharp. The stretching force arises through sideways friction between the blade and the surface of the food; if there's not enough friction, then the knife cannot get traction to rip open a crack. Instead, you'll need to push down harder with your blade—squishing the food—to get a crack started.

Seen under a microscope, the cutting edge of a dull knife is actually round like a wire and very smooth. When drawn over food, it glides along because there is so little friction. In fact, there is so little friction that it's hard to control the blade and it can suddenly slip off the food and plunge into your fingers, the main reason a dull knife is dangerous.

A sharp knife, by comparison, has a crisp edge, with microscopic peaks and valleys along its length that generate a lot of friction as you drag it across the surface of food. This sharp edge easily grabs hold of surface and tears open a crack. Once the crack is started, a gentle downward pressure allows the blade to plunge through the food, opening the crack as it goes.

"

But my understanding of this is rudimentary, so if there is an aspect I am misunderstanding in how it would be applied to fictionless surfaces, I am happy to learn. 

1 hour ago, Pathfinder said:

I was going on this premise:

Hide contents

"

Creating a strong tearing force when slicing is also why it's essential that your knife be sharp. The stretching force arises through sideways friction between the blade and the surface of the food; if there's not enough friction, then the knife cannot get traction to rip open a crack. Instead, you'll need to push down harder with your blade—squishing the food—to get a crack started.

Seen under a microscope, the cutting edge of a dull knife is actually round like a wire and very smooth. When drawn over food, it glides along because there is so little friction. In fact, there is so little friction that it's hard to control the blade and it can suddenly slip off the food and plunge into your fingers, the main reason a dull knife is dangerous.

A sharp knife, by comparison, has a crisp edge, with microscopic peaks and valleys along its length that generate a lot of friction as you drag it across the surface of food. This sharp edge easily grabs hold of surface and tears open a crack. Once the crack is started, a gentle downward pressure allows the blade to plunge through the food, opening the crack as it goes.

"

But my understanding of this is rudimentary, so if there is an aspect I am misunderstanding in how it would be applied to fictionless surfaces, I am happy to learn. 

Knife science. Surprisingly interesting :huh:have an upvote :D

On 7/1/2016 at 4:09 PM, Mestiv said:

Knife science. Surprisingly interesting :huh:have an upvote :D

Why thank you! So if abrasion is going along purely with science, then hammers and maces may be the weapon of choice against edgedancers. LOL I just realized, it brings a whole new meaning to their name. When you say they dance like on the edge of a blade, in this case it could be literal lol. 

That IS really cool - Knife science. Definitely interesting. 
As Pathfinder said, this might be where they got the name Edgedancer!

Also, if anyone is curious, I signed up for the newsletter an hour ago and just finished reading the excerpt - they send the latest newsletter as soon as you sign up!

4 hours ago, DuraluminGnat said:

Are there any going theories on what the black dust was that Lift left behind? (at the very end of the entry) Is it just Wyndle's crumbles being briefly visible in the physical realm?  

I believe those were left after Wyndle. Although I thought that his dust was gray...

• Chaos locked this topic