Just a couple things I've noticed when re-reading WoR

TySun

I'm currently rereading WoR and I'd like to mention a couple things I noticed about Hoid.  Most of you have probably noticed these things too and might have even mentioned them on the forum but I don't visit the forum as often as I'd like.

The first thing is in one of Shallan's flashbacks when Hoid slipped some powder into his own drink.  I knew that Hoid was probably a mistborn because he had that bead of Larasium from Mistborn "Secret History", but this very nearly confirms this.  Also by the Cosmeres timeline, this means that the Stormlight Archive come after Mistborn Era 1 if this theory is correct.

Warbreaker was one of the first Brandon Sanderson books I read quite a few years ago and since I only recently reread it for the second time, I'm not surprised that I missed this next piece of information until now.  Hoid, when visiting Kaladin in prison, was tuning his instrument and said "Perfect pitch makes this all so much easier than it once was. . . ."   It seems that Hoid has gotten himself quite a few Breaths. 

This is the only time we've confirmed him using allomancy "on-camera," so there's also an outside possibility that for some reason he's just a Soother or Rioter. (given that he had Lerasium him being Mistborn does make the most sense of course)

And yes, we've known for a while that Stormlight Archive is after Mistborn Era 1, because almost all of Brandon's Cosmere works have been released in sequential in-universe order. (Alloy of Law (further forward than it's release indicates) and the forthcoming White Sand (further back in the timeline than its release, iirc) being the exceptions, with Sixth of Dusk eventually following suit because it's set so far forward in the timeline)

And yeah, that's when we all confirmed that Hoid has a fair number of breaths, which I guess you'd expect after seeing him on Nalthis. :)

Yeah, that's some emotion allomancy, but I believe there's a WoB that Hoid did not use that Lerasium for himself, so he must have acquired his powers some other way.

I think the WoB is that he did not use all of it, or something like that. So e.g. if using half of it would still make you a mistborn then he could have done that.

I think the WoB is that he did not use all of it, or something like that. So e.g. if using half of it would still make you a mistborn then he could have done that.

I believe the WoB is actually that he didn't do what we expected with it, or else that he used it in a way we wouldn't expect (I forget which way it was worded). I took that to mean he likely used some other method of gaining Allomancy from it, perhaps without destroying/burning it at all so he can do something else with it later, or else used a part of it like you said.

jW

I think I've also seen a WoB where he said that we had barely scratched the surface of what is possible with atium.  If the same is true with Larasium, then who knows what Hoid did with it.  It was part of Preservation power so it can probably do a lot more then just make some mistborn.

Somebody should ask Brandon if Hoid has spikes.

I'd be 99% certain that he doesn't, based on the WoB that's says "he doesn't have Hemalurgy". That's somewhat weird wording for a magic like Hemalurgy that doesn't seem to require Initiation, but I'd say it almost certainly means no spikes in him either.

jW

Those parts you mentioned, plus the Shallan flashbacks if you've a mind for theorydigging. I personally always skip those, as they bore the life out of me, but I hear you can find some pretty interesting things from those sections.

My favorite theory is that Hoid is using the bead feruchemically. WoB is that he originally took it because he wanted to become an allomancer, but that he didn't burn it. This suggests to me that he figured out that it can be used in other ways

My favorite theory is that Hoid is using the bead feruchemically. WoB is that he originally took it because he wanted to become an allomancer, but that he didn't burn it. This suggests to me that he figured out that it can be used in other ways

I wonder what a Lerasiummind could do... If burning Lerasium bestows allomancy on everyone, perhaps feruchemically, Lerasium is some sort of universal stores-all, everyone-can-use-it metalmind? This could explain how Hoid, with nary a drop of Terris blood in his veins, can use Feruchemy to find stuff of interest (seeing how he was running around Terris Dominance during events of WoA, I'd argue that he didn't have Feruchemy to guide him before getting that bead).

We have WoB, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QIgYB34Q4u1fHL-6tnEM8zqt-Eifq7did4mV0-zBmlk/edit?pref=2&pli=1, that Hoid does in fact have allomancy.

[00:15:42]

Questioner: Can you share any abilities that Hoid has accrued so far in the books, has he-- I can't even pronounce the L-word...

Brandon: Yes, lerasium, he is indeed an Allomancer. That has happened. I haven't confirmed much else, but he does have that.

I think I've also seen a WoB where he said that we had barely scratched the surface of what is possible with atium.  If the same is true with Larasium, then who knows what Hoid did with it.  It was part of Preservation power so it can probably do a lot more then just make some mistborn.

Atium and Lerasium are concentrated forms of Shardic power, and we know that they can each be used with the base 16 metals to create a whole new list of 16. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're so highly concentrated that you could shave just a slight dusting off a bead in order to create a new alloy, and not have to use the entire thing.

This could explain how Hoid, with nary a drop of Terris blood in his veins, can use Feruchemy to find stuff of interest. 

Hoid is from Yolen, which had access to all the powers of Adonalsium before the Shattering. I'm more inclined to think that he had access to some form of Feruchemy before the events of Mistborn because of that, or perhaps obtained his Feruchemical abilities way before the time we see him on Scardial. Especially since we also see him, and his actions, at important moments in three other books that predate The Final Empire. The reason he was in the Terris Dominance was because he didn't know where the Well had been moved to and was trying to find it.

Hoid is from Yolen, which had access to all the powers of Adonalsium before the Shattering. I'm more inclined to think that he had access to some form of Feruchemy before the events of Mistborn because of that, or perhaps obtained his Feruchemical abilities way before the time we see him on Scardial. Especially since we also see him, and his actions, at important moments in three other books that predate The Final Empire. The reason he was in the Terris Dominance was because he didn't know where the Well had been moved to and was trying to find it.

Secret History Spoilers ahead

Brandon retcon'd this explanation with the release of M:SH. The reason being is that in Secret History we see Hoid arrive in Scadrial via the Well of Ascension. Brandon explained the canon is now that Hoid had something to do on Scadrial at this time and that is why he stayed - he was not looking for the Well

Also, is there a WoB about people from Yolen having access to every magic system?  Because, as I understand the Cosmere, the magic systems are not simply from the Shards but rather reflect the Shard's interaction with the native environment of the worlds. This implies that Yolen and Adonalsium would create a unique magic system that is not same as any other Shard world.

Also, is there a WoB about people from Yolen having access to every magic system?  Because, as I understand the Cosmere, the magic systems are not simply from the Shards but rather reflect the Shard's interaction with the native environment of the worlds. This implies that Yolen and Adonalsium would create a unique magic system that is not same as any other Shard world.

That's very good to know about Hoid and what he was up to. Or at least knowing what he was NOT up to. As for the magic systems, that's just my personal theory. It's very possible also that he got it before the events of Mistborn. I suppose it's potentially possible that he got Feruchemy while he was there in WoA, but I just don't belive that's what he was doing.

Yeah, every magic system is a result of the interactions between shards and the planets (and maybe some other things, who knows). The only Yolish magic we know of, I think, is Hoid's lightweaving (which is different from Shallan's).

Hoid most likely visited Scadrial before Rashek's ascension, when knowledge of Feruchemy was more extensive (though constrained to the Terris, as far as we know).

Interesting point though: Hoid's magic seems to still be working, even though the shards of Adonalsium left Yolen. So... is there a remnant of Adonalsium left on Yolen, keeping the planet invested? Rather than making the magic system work, did the investing only give people the ability to gain the powers in the first place, after which it works regardless? Is his lightweaving unrelated to Adonalsium's presence on Yolen?

Interesting point though: Hoid's magic seems to still be working, even though the shards of Adonalsium left Yolen. So... is there a remnant of Adonalsium left on Yolen, keeping the planet invested? Rather than making the magic system work, did the investing only give people the ability to gain the powers in the first place, after which it works regardless? Is his lightweaving unrelated to Adonalsium's presence on Yolen?

It might be that Hoid has learned to hack investiture to fuel his Lightweaving or it might be as you say. If Harmony left Scadrial would Allomancers still be able to burn metals? Would new Allomancers be born? That is quite the thought-provoking question you ask Eki.

That's a great question, I'll add it to my list. That being the case, I'd like to know if there are any other pre-shattering magic systems that are still being used, and if so how is it that they are powered?

That's a great question, I'll add it to my list. That being the case, I'd like to know if there are any other pre-shattering magic systems that are still being used, and if so how is it that they are powered?

There are worlds that have magic, but no shards. Whether any of their magic systems predate the shattering, I don't know. They may have had shards (or Adonalsium) visit them in the past.

Some magic seems to have existed on Roshar before the shards arrived, and we know Adonalsium paid some special attention to that planet. That likely means the magic predates the shattering, and is a result of Adonalsium leaving some of its power there.

Some magic seems to have existed on Roshar before the shards arrived, and we know Adonalsium paid some special attention to that planet. That likely means the magic predates the shattering, and is a result of Adonalsium leaving some of its power there.

Do you have a quote or WoB about Adonalsium paying special attention to Roshar? Not that I distrust you or anything, I would just love to read that. It's something I haven't heard before.

Do you have a quote or WoB about Adonalsium paying special attention to Roshar? Not that I distrust you or anything, I would just love to read that. It's something I haven't heard before.

From the epigraph letter in WoR:

The worlds you now tread bear the touch and design of Adonalsium.

I think there is some WoB to confirm it, but I'm not sure. Some spren seem to be splinters of Adonalsium, rather than Honor or Cultivation. We don't know exactly how old those are, though.