Just a couple things I've noticed when re-reading WoR

TySun

That's definitely something I'd never thought of. I always just interpreted that as the worlds Hoid travels to being modeled after the pattern of Yolen, by the Shards who hold the power that Adonalsium once had. I hadn't thought about it being possible for Adonalsium to have traveled to those worlds personally. That will require some thought.

Adonalisum definitely created Roshar, but presumably he created the other two planets in the Roshar system, and various other planets as well (in theory the world of Sixth of the Dusk, since Brandon indicated he wanted to do a story on a world with "natural" magic instead of shard magic). So I'm not sure Roshar received special attention from Adonalisum. Roshar could be "special" because of the shards that ended up there.

We don't know, is how I read all of this. Are the Shard's mimicry of Yolen humans, or their inhabitation of worlds with humans, this touch and design of Adonalsium, just one step removed? Or did Adonalsium take direct action?

My opinion is the first, and in this letter, that particular line, I read as an accusation. The Lizard is specifically calling Hoid out, noting that he's only frequenting planets that have Shards, so he's clearly doing something that involves a level of Investiture.

I suspect that he didn't burn the whole bead. It isn't clear how much Lerasium you need to burn to become an Allomancer. He could have just burned a bit of it and used the rest in a way we don't expect.

Another note on Hoid - Hoid appears places where important events are going to occur. He does this because he somehow uses Feruchemy to determine where something important will happen and get there before it does (confirmed in a WoB). Hoid appears in Elantris, which is set many hundreds of years before Mistborn Era 1. This implies, at least to me, that Hoid has had Feruchemy for quite a while, long before he acquired the Lerasium bead. So, I don't think he used the Lerasium to gain Feruchemy. Unless, of course, he uses Feruchemy to find important events now, but used another method beforehand. That doesn't sound as plausible to me though.

Lerasium wouldn't have given him Feruchemy anyway, just Allomancy. But I agree with you, I think he had it a long time ago.

Well, people have theorized that you could use Lerasium somehow to gain Feruchemy instead of Allomancy. If anything, I'd expect it to be doable with a Lerasium/Atium alloy.

Do we know for sure if Hoid has Scadrial Feruchemy? Could he have the Yolish equivalent, like he does for Lightweaving?

That's exactly what I have thought. I'm not allowed to theorize about Dragonsteel related material, but it seems to me that many forms of magic could possibly have existed and still exist, but manifest in slightly different ways now. Lightweaving is the only one we have evidence and confirmation of, but why not others? 

Well, people have theorized that you could use Lerasium somehow to gain Feruchemy instead of Allomancy. If anything, I'd expect it to be doable with a Lerasium/Atium alloy.

That would actually make a bit of sense. Allomancy is of Preservation, Hemalurgy is supposed to be of Ruin, and Feruchemy is a middle ground between the two, being an end neutral art. It would make sense that you could combine concentrations of the two to make that possible.

• Chaos locked this topic