Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

13 minutes ago, Edgedancer said:

So if you get a new follower, will that make you a popularity zombie?

I do believe you have stumbled upon Brandon's hidden magic system!

Powered by the Shard of Popularity, the magic system allows the revival and strengthening of dead humans! Brought to life by "followers", these zombies gain new titles and powers within the hierarchy through a mechanic called "upvotes". Unique among the zombies are the "moderators" and "admins". These zombies are Slivers, having touched the power of Popularity to manipulate "threads". These threads are the prime manifestation of the power of the zombies. Frightening indeed!

Just now, Jedal said:

Powered by the Shard of Popularity, the magic system allows the revival and strengthening of dead humans! Brought to life by "followers", these zombies gain new titles and powers within the hierarchy through a mechanic called "upvotes". Unique among the zombies are the "moderators" and "admins". These zombies are Slivers, having touched the power of Popularity to manipulate "threads". These threads are the prime manifestation of the power of the zombies. Frightening indeed!

And then suddenly all the Returned were hipsters?

5 hours ago, Deliiiiiightful said:

Now she can close a thread and send us all to bed when we're up late :P

Yeah, but everybody's in different time zones, so that's actually really hard to enforce. :P

4 hours ago, Orlion Determined said:

Man, I hate that. Aside from cousins and siblings, my entire family acts like swearing is on par with genocide. I sometimes want to tell them to grow the storms up.

It's weird.  "Oh, so shocking!"  No, it really wouldn't be if you put half as much effort into knowing who I am as you put into posting annoying "uplifting" memes.

3 hours ago, Quiver said:

Kaymyth Shub-Niggurath confirmed?

(For those unfamiliar with Lovecraft lore, Shub-Niggurath is an eldritch God also known as "The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young," so...Eldritch godmom, kind of. :ph34r:)

You know, I expect this sort of thing out of @Zathoth, but et tu, @Quiver?

17 minutes ago, Jedal said:

lolwut

Heard on a radio commercial: 

"The best way to avoid talking about religion or politics over the holidays? A new set of blinds from [Company]—a beautiful distraction!" 

I tend to think that if your family has to talk about blinds to avoid the Topics-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named, you've got deeper problems than unattractive window coverings. 

3 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

"The best way to avoid talking about religion or politics over the holidays? A new set of blinds from [Company]—a beautiful distraction!" 

I tend to think that if your family has to talk about blinds to avoid the Topics-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named, you've got deeper problems than unattractive window coverings. 

Heh, that's just one more sentence of fridge horror away from a Night Vale commercial. :mellow:

So I finished Gemina last night. It's the sequel to Illuminae, one of my favorite books and the source of the creepy text in my sig.

Anyways, I was still a few pages out from the end when I remarked to my mother that Illuminae's ending was perfect: not too much of a cliffhanger, but still left you yearning for the next book. I said that I hope this book ends just as satisfactorily.

...it didn't.

Spoiler

The last line in the entire book is literally "Do you want to know what happens next?"

I honestly don't know whether to laugh or to cry. :mellow: 

30 minutes ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

No, see, their intent is that you should hang the blinds from the dining room ceiling so that you can lower them between yourself and any troublesome family members.  It keeps dinner peaceful.  You just have to be careful about passing the rolls.

Just now, Slowswift said:

So I finished Gemina last night. It's the sequel to Illuminae, one of my favorite books and the source of the creepy text in my sig.

Anyways, I was still a few pages out from the end when I remarked to my mother that Illuminae's ending was perfect: not too much of a cliffhanger, but still left you yearning for the next book. I said that I hope this book ends just as satisfactorily.

...it didn't.

Hide contents

The last line in the entire book is literally "Do you want to know what happens next?"

That author be trollin'.

12 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

No, see, their intent is that you should hang the blinds from the dining room ceiling so that you can lower them between yourself and any troublesome family members.  It keeps dinner peaceful.  You just have to be careful about passing the rolls.

Now, the question remains: Can I reasonably bring a set of blinds on the plane as a carry-on? :ph34r: 

OK. Its 2am I've finished AU!

That rust was deep as hell. Hey that's a pretty good metaphor!

So pardon me if I make ALOT of references to it lol

Like instead of no rust sherlock its gonna be

Spoiler

No rust nan. No way the voidbringers were back 

And instead of I am a stick

Spoiler

I am a fork

Etc etc

3 hours ago, Slowswift said:

...it didn't.

Reveal hidden contents

I actually read Illuminae as a galley. It was a good book, if a little bit hard to get into. I'm a tad rusty, but I remember that the ending was a bit of a cliffhanger.

1 hour ago, Jedal said:

I actually read Illuminae as a galley. It was a good book, if a little bit hard to get into. I'm a tad rusty, but I remember that the ending was a bit of a cliffhanger.

It was, but less "our heroes are in danger and you have to wait a year to see how they get out of it!" and more "holy cow I can't wait to see the fallout from this."

7 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Now, the question remains: Can I reasonably bring a set of blinds on the plane as a carry-on? :ph34r: 

7 hours ago, bleeder said:

Reasonably? No. 

Rationally? Also no. 

Realistically? ...probably not.

Can you fold said blinds into a suitcase? Or carry them separately like an instrument?

2 hours ago, Slowswift said:

It was, but less "our heroes are in danger and you have to wait a year to see how they get out of it!" and more "holy cow I can't wait to see the fallout from this."

That is THE BEST kind of cliffhanger. Who's the author?

17 hours ago, Slowswift said:

So a cliffhanger that doesn't actually dangle you from a cliff. Funny how these get better by not living up to their name.

16 hours ago, Deliiiiiightful said:

That is THE BEST kind of cliffhanger. Who's the author?

Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman. 

1 hour ago, Edgedancer said:

So a cliffhanger that doesn't actually dangle you from a cliff. Funny how these get better by not living up to their name.

How true.