Is it a shardblade?

the_archduke

When Kelsier suggests to Fuzz that he stab Elend to force Vin to use the power in the Well, Fuzz looks at his knife and addresses it as "Old friend".  Sentient weapons are nothing new in the Cosmere.  Could Leras's knife be anything like a shardblade?  

He also says that he hasn't drawn the knife in millennia.  When he reached to his belt to draw it, his hand shimmered and the blade appeared in his hand.  Sounds like a shardblade to me.

Counter-argument:  When the blade is used, it doesn't wound like a shardblade

Counter-counter-argument:  Neither does Nightblade, and he is something like a shardblade.  Perhaps these sorts of blades do different things on different worlds.

Could Leras's knife be the Scadrian equivalent of a shardblade?  If so, I further theorize (perhaps crazily) that the blade's name is Senna.

Edited by the_archduke

I just assumed that, being a Shardvessel, Preservation's knife was part of his image, much like Harmony's impressive take on traditional Terris garb in Era 2.  The shimmering would therefore be the image shifting from "knife in holster" to "knife in hand," much like a computer game player character pulling a sword out of nowhere.  

How a Shardblade works is it destroys damages the soul itself due to the massive amounts of investiture it has. When Nightblood cuts, it is invested enough to simply destroy all three realms. It's damages like a Shardblade, but just hits harder. So if this was a Shardblade, it would have completely destroyed essential parts of Elend's soul, which would have probably killed him.

We never saw how a Shardblade cuts from the Cognitive Realm... It may cut the Physical from there as far as we know

Brandon has confirmed that all shardblades damage damage the spiritual realm, and I dont think that being in the cognitive realm would randomly chage the basic function of an invested object. If what you proposed was true, then people with shardblades who fought in the cognitive that still were tied to the physical wouldn't be in anymore danger, they would just be fighting with over sized normal weapons basicly.

I just assumed that, being a Shardvessel, Preservation's knife was part of his image, much like Harmony's impressive take on traditional Terris garb in Era 2.  The shimmering would therefore be the image shifting from "knife in holster" to "knife in hand," much like a computer game player character pulling a sword out of nowhere.

I find this the most likely case. I would also like to point out that Leras could have just taken the blade with him when he went to Scadrial, it could be from Yolen.

• 1 month later...

How a Shardblade works is it destroys damages the soul itself due to the massive amounts of investiture it has. When Nightblood cuts, it is invested enough to simply destroy all three realms. It's damages like a Shardblade, but just hits harder. So if this was a Shardblade, it would have completely destroyed essential parts of Elend's soul, which would have probably killed him.

Brandon has confirmed that all shardblades damage damage the spiritual realm, and I dont think that being in the cognitive realm would randomly chage the basic function of an invested object. If what you proposed was true, then people with shardblades who fought in the cognitive that still were tied to the physical wouldn't be in anymore danger, they would just be fighting with over sized normal weapons basicly.

I find this the most likely case. I would also like to point out that Leras could have just taken the blade with him when he went to Scadrial, it could be from Yolen.

So I agree with you that it is not a shardblade but I do have a question. Do you have evidence or WoB to back up that the reason shardblades cut the way they do is precisely because they have so much investiture? Not saying you are wrong, and not debating you, just that is a new piece of info for me, so I wanted to confirm if it was an established fact I hadn't heard yet, or your own theory. 

INTERVIEW: Feb 25th, 2016

Calamity-Austin

QUESTION

You've said that Shardblades can be made in other magic systems. So if it's not like a Shardblade from Roshar, what makes it a Shardblade?

BRANDON SANDERSON

The “shard” refers to the heavy investiture of a Shard of Adonalsium. Most of what you’ll see will be the Roshar ones, but it is technically possible to make them out of the other magic systems. It's going to be a heavily invested magical weapon is kind of how I would define it.

QUESTION

So are the Bands one?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Ummm... I would not call them one, but they are close, they're not Invested enough.

TAGS

shardblades, shards, investiture, Bands of Mourning,

Also relevant to my theory:

BRANDON SANDERSON

Right, Hoid talks about Perpendicularities on Scadrial, if you go look at that there are certain places he talks about that. ,eyes just say that large concentrations of investiture can cause a puncture through the spiritual realm straight to the physical realm. If you know how to use it, you may transition. That's not the only way but is the primary way.

QUESTION

And of of Course you can soulcast (Elsecall?) to get there.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes.

QUESTION

Now that's a very interesting analogy you just made, you said "punctured" almost as if it were a spike.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, yes, that was intentional. Anyone who wants to ask questions after the Magic draft, you guys can come back in maybe 45 minutes. I'll just be hanging out and playing magic. If you’re just here to hang out and ask question, I'll be free to do that in about 45 minutes to an hour.

TAGS

Cognitive realm, realmhopping, Mistborn: Secret History, investiture, perpendicularities, Elsecalling,

INTERVIEW: Feb 25th, 2016

Calamity-Austin

QUESTION

You've said that Shardblades can be made in other magic systems. So if it's not like a Shardblade from Roshar, what makes it a Shardblade?

BRANDON SANDERSON

The “shard” refers to the heavy investiture of a Shard of Adonalsium. Most of what you’ll see will be the Roshar ones, but it is technically possible to make them out of the other magic systems. It's going to be a heavily invested magical weapon is kind of how I would define it.

QUESTION

So are the Bands one?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Ummm... I would not call them one, but they are close, they're not Invested enough.

TAGS

shardblades, shards, investiture, Bands of Mourning,

Also relevant to my theory:

BRANDON SANDERSON

Right, Hoid talks about Perpendicularities on Scadrial, if you go look at that there are certain places he talks about that. ,eyes just say that large concentrations of investiture can cause a puncture through the spiritual realm straight to the physical realm. If you know how to use it, you may transition. That's not the only way but is the primary way.

QUESTION

And of of Course you can soulcast (Elsecall?) to get there.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes.

QUESTION

Now that's a very interesting analogy you just made, you said "punctured" almost as if it were a spike.

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, yes, that was intentional. Anyone who wants to ask questions after the Magic draft, you guys can come back in maybe 45 minutes. I'll just be hanging out and playing magic. If you’re just here to hang out and ask question, I'll be free to do that in about 45 minutes to an hour.

TAGS

Cognitive realm, realmhopping, Mistborn: Secret History, investiture, perpendicularities, Elsecalling,

So its your theory, coolios. Thank you for also providing the references!  :)

• 1 month later...

Bringing this board back from a shallow grave. I'm re-reading Secret History, and my second time through this section I immediately thought it sounded like a shardblade.

“Fuzz reached to his belt, and his hand shimmered. The knife appeared there. He looked down at it, the blade glistening. “Old friend . . .” he whispered at it.”

1. The knife just appears. Although, as some have pointed out, this is not especially unusual for the Cognitive Realm

2. The blade is glistening, kinda like a shardblade shortly after being summoned. This is what made the shardblade lightbulb go on in my head.

3. He addresses it very personally. Similarly to those that carry living shardblades (or dead ones in Adolin's case) and Nightblade.

On 4/28/2016 at 0:33 PM, Blightsong said:

I could've sworn Shardblades cut in the Cognitive, not the Spiritual--they're made from spren (Cognitive entities), are referred to as "severing the soul from the body" (in-Cosmere, the mind connects the soul to the body, so that's what would be cut), and Brandon has stated that the Spiritual Realm is hard to damage, so I find it unlikely that Shardblades would destroy the most essential part of one's Investiture without being far more Invested themselves.

17 hours ago, Argel said:

Yeah, shardblades cut the CR (and IIRC Nightblood cuts all three).

I thought it's that Nightblood destroys on all Three Realms, while Shardblades cut living things in the Cognitive & Spiritual and non-living things on all Three?

11 hours ago, Oversleep said:

I thought it's that Nightblood destroys on all Three Realms, while Shardblades cut living things in the Cognitive & Spiritual and non-living things on all Three?

Probably it is a side effect of cutting in the Cognitive. Not two different powers.

If you cut something live, it has more investiture and the "target" resist more (the Shardbearers often talk about the resistence they feel cutting living flesh). Instead when you cut an unliving target, the target is so "soft" that the damage is propagate also in the Physical realm.

If this is the case a Shardblade with a power of highter magnitude, may propagate the damage also of more Invested target.

Edited by Yata

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2016 at 10:37 PM, Three1415 said:

I could've sworn Shardblades cut in the Cognitive, not the Spiritual--they're made from spren (Cognitive entities), are referred to as "severing the soul from the body" (in-Cosmere, the mind connects the soul to the body, so that's what would be cut), and Brandon has stated that the Spiritual Realm is hard to damage, so I find it unlikely that Shardblades would destroy the most essential part of one's Investiture without being far more Invested themselves.

Sorry for the late reply, i took a bit of a break from obsessing over the Cosmere for a bit.

One assumption you are making is that Shardblades are not much more invested than a human soul. They are VASTLY more invested. Take a look at Nightblood. Yes he is a lot more powerful then a regular shardblade, but it took  a thousand 'souls' to create him. Another example that helps prove my point is Hemallurgic spikes. They damage the soul and are significantly less invested then shardblades.

Edit: Fixed a number

Edited by Blightsong

5 hours ago, Blightsong said:

One assumption you are making is that Shardblades are not much more invested than a human soul. They are VASTLY more invested. Take a look at Nightblood. Yes he is a lot more powerful then a regular shardblade, but it took tens of thousands of souls to create him. Another example that helps prove my point is Hemallurgic spikes. They damage the soul and are significantly less invested then shardblades.

Nightblood is made by 1000 Breath not 10000. It's still an high number but for example a Divine Breath is more Invested

On 4/27/2016 at 11:09 AM, Landis963 said:

Pretty much. I mean Preservation is a freaking shard if a fraction of his power can change all people in a planet in genetic level and move the planet around materializing a form that could hurt people should be easy enough for him

• Chaos locked this topic