Welcome to Night Vale

Quiver

4 hours ago, Quadrophenia said:

Name a favourite side character!

Hiram McDaniels, Tamika or Kevin come to mind.

I have to back Twilyght and say Steve. I admit, I emphasise a lot with the guy; his good-natured intent, bumbling nature...yeah, I maybe see a lot of myself in him.

Aside from him, I like so many people. So far as characters who haven't been mentioned yet... I actually found the writing for Michelle Nguyen surprisingly fun. It's a character who could be annoying, but I actually found her and Maureen a highlight during the latest storyline.

(Do we have any official name for it yet? The only name I've seen is spoilers.)

4 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:
  Reveal hidden contents

steve_carlsbeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrg_by_muffinm

He's not just my favorite side character, but one of my favorite characters overall. One who understands the world perfectly, is treated like the Cassandra for it, and keeps going in the hope that someone will see the truth….I love him so much. 

He is, inarguably, the most tragic character in the show.

30 minutes ago, The Only Joe said:

I've only listened up to Episode 14, because I don't have a lot of time on my hands, but I love it! I'm gonna keep listening to it. What are the actual 'Storylines' though?

The show started off slice of life, but overtime each season would constitute an overarching story. First season is about Cecil and Carlos coming together as a couple while the civilization beneath the Bowling Alley and Arcade Fun Complex rises to take over the city. Second season is all about their rivalry with a mirror counterpart town called Desert Bluffs. Third season is election season. Fourth season... well, spoilers. 

5 hours ago, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

Someone made house sigils for Night Vale characters. 

Hide contents

14494890_641135226044602_506549400842359

14495458_641488012675990_214356865110149

Reveal hidden contents

14522873_641167472708044_808734449424480

And my personal favorite….

14449801_641531206005004_129498553465002

Is it just me or did they spell Carlsberg wrong? Anyway, I now declare the house of Steve the offical unoffical Slitherclaw house. :ph34r:

Ya know, thinking about it? There is a better love story in Night Vale than Cecil and Carlos.

I mean... Steve is weird by typical Night Vale standards. He doesn't believe lots of stuff they do, and believes stuff that they don't, and he talks openly about the sheriff's secret police and the vague yet meaning government conspiracy.

And Abby still chose to marry him. Despite Steve being weird. Despite Abby -presumably- being a traditional Night Vale citizen. Despite Cecil trying to talk her out of it and disrupt the wedding by accusing Steve of speaking forbidden truths. 

All of that, and Abby still married with Steve.

:wub:

2 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Ya know, thinking about it? There is a better love story in Night Vale than Cecil and Carlos.

Hide contents

I mean... Steve is weird by typical Night Vale standards. He doesn't believe lots of stuff they do, and believes stuff that they don't, and he talks openly about the sheriff's secret police and the vague yet meaning government conspiracy.

And Abby still chose to marry him. Despite Steve being weird. Despite Abby -presumably- being a traditional Night Vale citizen. Despite Cecil trying to talk her out of it and disrupt the wedding by accusing Steve of speaking forbidden truths. 

All of that, and Abby still married with Steve.

:wub:

Spoiler

Adding in Steve's fierce love of his stepdaughter--to the point that insinuating she needs "fixing" is a berserk button--makes the love story even sweeter. 

What's wonderful about Steve as a character?

His whole existence is predicated on the inherent gag... that all the cool weirdness the listener has come to roll with and the ordinary inhabitants of Night Vale take in stride...?

Is not normal. At all. It's unhealthy, cultish and aggressively creepy when you're looking at the town without Cecil's rose-tinted lenses.

Outside Cecil's perspective, we see how every character (including the man himself) we have grown to love is from the outside... essentially indoctrinated by a paranoid, bizarre, nonsensical and absurd culture of conspiracies, pseudo-science and Lovecraftian horror. Steve is the man in Plato's Cave who sees the world outside the darkness and campfire of the cave, ignored by everyone at best and outright exiled at worse for daring to speak the truth. 

... And in truth Night Vale faction, even Carlsberg isn't immune to Night Vale's weirdness. He isn't as sane as he'd like to believe, either. The symbols in the sky, anyone?

It's a wonderful bit of double subversion right there.

Edited by Quadrophenia

Just now, Quadrophenia said:

What's wonderful about Steve as a character?

His whole _existence_ is to point out that all the cool weirdness the listener has come to roll with and the ordinary inhabitants of Night Vale take in stride...?

Is not normal. At all. It's unhealthy, cultish. Outside Cecil's perspective, we see how every character (including the man himself) we have grown to love is from the outside... essentially indoctrinated by a paranoid, bizarre, nonsensical and absurd culture of conspiracies, pseudo-science and Lovecraftian horror. Steve is the man in Plato's Cave who sees the world outside the darkness and campfire of the cave, ignored by everyone at best and outright exiled at worse for daring to speak the truth. 

... And in truth Night Vale faction, even Carlsberg isn't immune to Night Vale's weirdness. He isn't as sane as he'd like to believe, either. The symbols in the sky, anyone?

It's a wonderful bit of double subversion right there.

But he can't even take care of a tan Corolla...

7 minutes ago, Quadrophenia said:

Then again considering Night Vale it wouldn't surprise me if the symbols in the sky were real, its just that Steve is the only one who can see them.

3 minutes ago, Zathoth said:

Then again considering Night Vale it wouldn't surprise me if the symbols in the sky were real, its just that Steve is the only one who can see them.

I always figured the implication was that they were just a projection of his own frustrations with the town, all products of his own mind. If they were real, it'd take the sting out of the whole layered gag, I'd find.

Edited by Quadrophenia

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Ghost Stories! No spoilers (unless you guys want them), but I enjoyed it. Hopefully the album has the rest if the guests though, since I figure that will improve the experience immensely.

Also, I saw at least four Carlos, Cecil, two fem!Cecil, a Kevin (!?) and two Glow Clouds ALL HAIL

16 hours ago, Quiver said:

Just got back from Ghost Stories! No spoilers (unless you guys want them), but I enjoyed it. Hopefully the album has the rest if the guests though, since I figure that will improve the experience immensely.

Also, I saw at least four Carlos, Cecil, two fem!Cecil, a Kevin (!?) and two Glow Clouds ALL HAIL

ALL... HAIL... THE GLOW CLOUDS...

As someone who has listened to the audiobook of the novelization, but not to the podcast, how similar are they? I was impressed in the book that the disparate elements were (mostly) brought together into a cohesive narrative, but I also got the sense that took a special effort in adapting from the podcast format. 

My description of Night Vale to others has been Look Around You for horror instead of science. Do you consider that accurate, and is that tone consistent for the various episodes?

2 hours ago, ccstat said:

As someone who has listened to the audiobook of the novelization, but not to the podcast, how similar are they? I was impressed in the book that the disparate elements were (mostly) brought together into a cohesive narrative, but I also got the sense that took a special effort in adapting from the podcast format. 

My description of Night Vale to others has been Look Around You for horror instead of science. Do you consider that accurate, and is that tone consistent for the various episodes?

I'd say the podcast is absolutely stronger. It's easier to be odd, surreal and whimsical in short bursts as opposed to three-six hours in a long, continuous arc. Heck, generally speaking, it's easier to run a slice of life narrative that lacks any typical three-act-structure...as opposed to a book that's, essentially, a made-for-TV movie set in its world that "does" have a typical three-act-structure.