Is Demoux an atium compounder?

asterion137

so we have a WoB that AoL is between Stormlight 5 and 6: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/53044-twitter-chat-w-barnes-noble-nooktalks/#entry404096

Does that mean Demoux is an atium compounder now? He was in WoK and i can't see the stormlight 5/6 gap being more than a decade or two especially as we have a WoB from the same chat that says stormlight will be separated by decades not centuries, plus Demoux already had allomantic atium...

Not sure if anyone else has brought this up and a search didnt turn anything up

Edited by asterion137

Well he appears to part of the 17th shard and I think that all of their members that we know of have agelessness of some sort. While it is definitely possible that he is an atium compounder he would have to have a supply of atium and I am not sure where he would get that from. I think it is more likely that he gets his immortality the same way the rest of the 17th shard gets it, but I am not sure how they do though.

I suspect that the 17th shard uses southern scadrain magic style to some degree (I have no evidence but it provides an excellent way to get access to other magic systems) but I think atium would still be required to compound age. Also I doubt he is only relying on jumping forward in time if he relies on it at all.

At the moment I start to think that in the Cognitive Realm you don't age...therefore when a worldhopper travel there, that amount of time don't age him.

If the 17th Shard has some "homebase" in the cognitive, it possible that many agents remain live through the ages.

But how does AoL being after Stormlight 5 or 6 mean that he's an Atium Compounder?

Because of the time difference, it means we know that his appearance at Purelake was around 300 years after he was alive in the original Mistborn trilogy.

He might not be immortal at all, but rather just jumping forwards in time.

Relevent WOB:

Interview: Aug 31st, 2011
Reddit AMA 2011 (Verbatim)
Eric Lake ()
Can Hoid jump through time? If so, can Shards jump through time?
Brandon Sanderson
Hoid, so far, has only moved forward in time. He has not 'lived' all of those years, but has used some time dilation techniques. That said, he is far older (both in relative and real time) than a normal person can live.
Tags

Obviously the WOB refers to Hoid, but the concept is still applicable for Demoux.

Maybe there is a method to gain the fifth heightening without displaying the more obvious color bending effects. Because it makes sense, according to one of Brandon's Laws of Magic, that he would integrate Nathis in this manner.

Since it's possible to 'suppress' a Divine Breath, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to suppress normal ones too... Giving all your agents that much Breath would be really expensive, but I guess they would have plenty of resources.

Edited by Eki

Each member of the Nathis population produces 1 breath at birth. Since population increases exponentially, then likely the price of breaths will decrease over generations. That, and I'm pretty sure it's possible to turn Stormlight into BioChromatic Breath.

Each member of the Nathis population produces 1 breath at birth. Since population increases exponentially, then likely the price of breaths will decrease over generations. That, and I'm pretty sure it's possible to turn Stormlight into BioChromatic Breath.

I'm not sure about that. Even if we assume 100% Breath passes on to the new generation (everybody on death-bed gives Breath to his children) the exponential increase in population could mean that the demand for Breath is still higher than supply. Is there somebody educated on this topics?

Relevent WOB:

Obviously the WOB refers to Hoid, but the concept is still applicable for Demoux.

*cough* Cadmium *cough* :)

Lets you wait for critical events even without becoming ageless/age-extended.

I'm not sure about that. Even if we assume 100% Breath passes on to the new generation (everybody on death-bed gives Breath to his children) the exponential increase in population could mean that the demand for Breath is still higher than supply. Is there somebody educated on this topics?

I think they weren't even counting passed on Breaths, just that as population increases so does the supply. But as you point out the demand would increase in an equal (if not greater) amount so the price would be relatively constant in terms of that.

• Chaos locked this topic