Hoid is a construct, and Investiture isn’t the only magic in the Cosmere

drsabek

While Liars of Partinel is not canon, I do not think Brandon will be discarding some of the core elements,

such as Hoid taking on the name of his now deceased master

. We might even have some WoBs that cover some of it (e.g. we know Hoid is not his real name). It would really be worth the effort to track down a copy of Liars before discussing Hoid's origin.

It would really be worth the effort to track down a copy of Liars before discussing Hoid's origin.

I don't think you can find a full copy of it.From what I understand, Brandon did write a large part, maybe even a full book. But all that's out there is the first 6 sample chapters.

I don't think you can find a full copy of it.From what I understand, Brandon did write a large part, maybe even a full book. But all that's out there is the first 6 sample chapters.

Right, sorry for any confusion about that.

I just want to point out that we have confirmation that Hoid does have a spirit web, but a very strange one. That's about all we know.

Another thing, not all Shardblades completely destroy investiture, but rather they cut chunks out of a spirit web proportional to the spots they hit on the being's body. The only Shardblade that can actually completely destroy investiture is Nightblood.

I just want to point out that we have confirmation that Hoid does have a spirit web, but a very strange one. That's about all we know.

Another thing, not all Shardblades completely destroy investiture, but rather they cut chunks out of a spirit web proportional to the spots they hit on the being's body. The only Shardblade that can actually completely destroy investiture is Nightblood.

Even then it doesn't completely destroy investiture, just turns it into a corrupted unusable form.

Edited by Master_Moridin

Even then it doesn't completely destroy investiture, just turns it into a corrupted unusable form.

I'm pretty sure he seems to ignore Conservation of Investiture. Nightblood really is strange.

INTERVIEW: Dec 12th, 2015

Barnes & Noble Orem

So, is Nightblood reducing the amount of Investiture in the cosmere?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes. At a very slow rate, but yes.

TAGS

Nightblood, investiture, cosmere,

I'm pretty sure he seems to ignore Conservation of Investiture. Nightblood really is strange.

INTERVIEW: Dec 12th, 2015

Barnes & Noble Orem

So, is Nightblood reducing the amount of Investiture in the cosmere?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes. At a very slow rate, but yes.

TAGS

Nightblood, investiture, cosmere,

There's another WoB that says the black smoke he releases is corrupted Breath

So the middle ground seems to be just, entropy-ing Investiture, rendering it unusable, instead of outright removing it from existence.

Anyway, Nightblood is named for the smoke he leaks, and he originally had a different name when he was created. ... The blackness that leaks out is actually corrupted and consumed Breaths, the ones that Nightblood leeches off anyone who draws him.

(source)

There's another WoB that says the black smoke he releases is corrupted Breath

So the middle ground seems to be just, entropy-ing Investiture, rendering it unusable, instead of outright removing it from existence.

You may be right, someone should ask him. I would also like to point out that corrupted breath isn't neccesarily unusable as far as we know. Brandon told me that or ruled investiture, or what people perceive as corrupted investiture, usually indicates a mixture of different shardic investitures. Take that as you will.

I was actually thinking about what Hoid had said to Dalinar, and came up with a few ideas, especially after rewatching Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

I think the whole idea of collecting and using all the magic systems (not necessarily in their current incarnation) was an idea Hoid concocted with/stole from his master, before he came to be what he is now. A kind of hypothetical experiment if you will. It would you explain the phrasing he used a little.

I think the whole idea of collecting and using all the magic systems (not necessarily in their current incarnation) was an idea Hoid concocted with/stole from his master, before he came to be what he is now. A kind of hypothetical experiment if you will. It would you explain the phrasing he used a little.

I didn't read anything of LoP but if the Hoid's Master died before the Shattering, the magics were all there on Yolen and you may probably access it quite easy.

Anyway I still don't understand what kind of bases there are about "powers other  than Investiture"  :wacko:

Edited by Yata

I didn't read anything of LoP but if the Hoid's Master died before the Shattering, the magics were all there on Yolen and you may probably access it quite easy.

My thoughts exactly. We know Hoid uses Feruchemy to know when and where he needs to be. Or, rather, when and where something is going to happen. And he did it BEFORE going to Scadrial. It's likely all the abilities existed before the Shattering, though access to many of them might still have been limited to certain people. 

I don't know if the original Hoid was trying to gain access to them, but from the sample chapters of LoP there's no indication that's what Midius is trying to do.

Do we know for certain he's never been to Scadrial before the first time we see him there in the novels? What if he picked up Feruchemy e.g. 500 years earlier?

He has some connection with ancient Scadrial. After all He probably was a member (or a founder) to the Worldbringer/worldsinger group

Perhaps much like there is Yolish Lightweaving that's similar to Rosharan Lightweaving (the difference being, IIRC, that Yolish Lightweavers had to use sand, while Rosharan ones need Stormlight), there could also be Yolish Feruchemy startingly similar to Scadrian one. 

Looking at Lightweaving, actually, I'd argue that when Dragonsteel rolls around we'll be seeing a lot of magic similar to what we've already seen in the rest of the Cosmere. Brandon could, then, theoretically, wriggle out of some questions by not mentioning whether we're talking Yolish or local version of magic X (see: the statement that Kaladin had technically met two Lightweavers).

Though I do agree that various WorldXers organizations are probably all Hoid's doing.

Edited by Rasarr

(see: the statement that Kaladin had technically met two Lightweavers).

But Kaladid met two Surgebinders with Illumination's Surge.... Shallan and Renarin.

If you want to count Hoid as Lightweaver the count rises to 3

Does Illumination Surge == Lightweaving though? Good point about Hoid, though I'm sure he would like to forget him! :P

I think yes, because counting a Roshar Lightweaver Order's member and a Yolish Lightweaver in the same "category" is strange, after all the Roshar's One have also another power, the Soulcasting. And I think the Yolish one can't trasform matter.

I think the two orders are more likely. With his count.

Does Illumination Surge == Lightweaving though? Good point about Hoid, though I'm sure he would like to forget him! :P

The Coppermind does confirm that they are Lightweavers: http://coppermind.net/wiki/Order_of_Lightweavers

And if you search the term Lightweaving there is another article you can find about Yolish Lightweaving.

• Chaos locked this topic