Possible early referenc/evidence to Ettmetal's composition

ParadoxicalZen

So I mentioned this in the Why Savants Exist topic over in Cosmere Theories, but Phantom Monstrosity linked an old topic they started back in '13 with some old info on the God Metals. Most interestingly enough, this info contains two possibly interesting ideas of what a Lerasium/Atium alloy does.

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/3409-old-god-metal-info/

"Ask what a Lerasium Atium alloy would do."

"Ah, I've been asked this before. There are a number of theories, but nobody's really sure, since there haven't really been any opportunities to alloy lerasium with atium. You can choose which one to believe. Most require an understanding of realmatic theory to comprehend, which you need to be a Shard or Splinter to even begin to understand."

I interrupted here to ask if Sazed or Hoid would know, and he - of course - RAFO'd.

"What Lerasium is, is essentially a hack for something like your spiritual DNA. It rewrites what your spiritual self is capable of. So, combined with atium, which allows you a glimpse into the vision of everything - past, present, future - the theories say it could do one of two things. It could either create a substance so volatile that it would have world-ending repercussions, or rewrite your "spiritual DNA" (his phrase, not mine) with atium's power. Is that a vague enough answer?"

I can't bolden/italicise on my tablet but I would like to emphasise where it says 'a substance so volatile it would have world ending repercussions'...

Sound like something we know?

TL;DR - Ettmetal could possibly be (as already theorised by others) a Lerasium-Atium alloy, which given the opposing and neutralising nature of R&P, could explain the volatility of it.

EDIT: The reason I say an alloy instead of Harmonium is the alloy would be two metals in one, where Harmonium would be it's own metal entirely; incredibly similar, yet fundamentally different at the same time

Edited by ParadoxSpren

That might make sense. However Ettmetal only explodes when it reacts with water and I would think as substance as volatile as Brandon described would explode even more easily. But Ettmetal seems far more reactive at least to me (warning I only have high school chemistry to go on for this) than Alkali metals.

That might make sense. However Ettmetal only explodes when it reacts with water and I would think as substance as volatile as Brandon described would explode even more easily. But Ettmetal seems far more reactive at least to me (warning I only have high school chemistry to go on for this) than Alkali metals.

I was thinking given it's world-ending potential, akin to nuclear weaponry, and we saw how dangerous just a small piece is when not being used at maximum effectiveness (Edwarn's scene at the end)

This WOB ([1:16:15][/size]) is referring to Ettmetal.

Q: Find out more about the exploding metal, the caesium?[/size]

A: The super caesium? Yeah, but the Wax and Wayne book is called “The Lost Metal” so....[/size]

To me that just seems like Brandon just caught on to what the speaker was asking, not actually saying ettmetal is caesium. Would really love to see the verbatim on this one

I was thinking why it might be so volatile (aside from laws of physics/chemistry) and all I came up with was either the alloy has a greater ratio/percentage of atium than Lerasium e.g. 60%/40% or perhaps instead Saze cast off his excess Ruin alone and the SoScads are alloying the atium with other allomantically inerts metals instead e.g. caesium

Edited by ParadoxSpren

To me that just seems like Brandon just caught on to what the speaker was asking, not actually saying ettmetal is caesium. Would really love to see the verbatim on this one

Recording is here. (1:17:23 for the question)

A more accurate transcription would be:

Asker: We ever going to find out more about the caesium or the uh exploding metal?

Brandon: Oh, yes the uh the super caesium

A: Yes

B: Yeah, that will be, well the last Wax and Wayne book is called the Lost Metal, so...you kinda got a…

Him calling it "super caesium" is interesting.

I was thinking given it's world-ending potential, akin to nuclear weaponry, and we saw how dangerous just a small piece is when not being used at maximum effectiveness (Edwarn's scene at the end)

Word ending potential?

"The creature reached into its pocket and removed a device like a small package wrapped in wires. One of Irich’s early attempts at creating an explosive device from the metal that powered the airships. It had proven ineffective, barely more explosive than dynamite, when they needed something that could end cities."

“There’s a little bit in the primer cube too, to make it work. A lot more to make a ship like Wilg go, and a lot, lot more to get Brunstell into the air.”

Along with:

“You said there was more on Brunstell.”

“Yah, but they have it.” He grinned. “At first, the evil ones didn’t know how to care for it. Got some wet. That was a good day.”

[...]

“This kind,” he said. “Anyway, your evil men, they got most of ours.”

Allik doesn't seem too worried that the Set has a lot, lot of it. They could certainly do some damage with it, but it isn't treated as that dangerous. Unless something needs to be done to it to make it that dangerous.

Hmm, interesting. That's why I said maximum effectiveness, as it..Irich wasn't it?...hadn't worked out how to adapt it properly whereas I was under the impression the SoScads were much more adept with it, in regards to warfare applications anyway.

The super-caesium intrigues me also; that's why I was thinking that perhaps Atium had been alloyed with non-16 metal(s), perhaps increasing the effect of the volatility.

S'all just suppositions and speculation, but I thought it was interesting

They do seem to have a lot of it though. Maybe too much to be composed of God metals in my opinion. Sazed has to have learned enough from Ati and Leras' mistakes not to put too much of your power in physical form.

Yeah but Saze doesn't have an opposing Shard on his planet (one off planet isn't quite the same) and in theory could lose a lot of Investiture before another Full Shard would be of equal power (at least, I'm assuming?). Right now, logically, he is the most powerful being in the Cosmere. And Ati, over the centuries, pumped LOADS of Investiture into his metal (and Leras into other things). All of the Atium ever mined ends up being a huge amount (I also wonder where the Investiture goes after the Atium is burned - overall it has to be maintained somewhere, but where when we know it doesn't go back to Ruin?). And most other Shards Invested in their planets, so far as we know, significantly (except Odium, probably, who is trapped and fears Harmony)

• Chaos locked this topic