Everybodies Favorite Triangle

StormyAngel

I don't know about you but when I was reading Words of Radiance for the first time, I was delighted with Adolin and Shallan's developing relationship. While I also found Shallan's interactions with Kaladin humorous/enjoyable, I felt a growing fear that Sanderson was developing a love triangle.

I hate love triangles.

Funnily enough, I remember reading a post somewhere where Brandon mentioned that his Beta-readers kept begging him that whatever else he did, not to make a love triangle. At the time I foolishly took that statement at face-value. It felt like he was reassuring us, no he wasn't going to go there. But I've looked a little more closely at the situation and I realized that this simply isn't true.

Sanderson has already made the love triangle. A love triangle exists simply by being possible and generally acknowledged. The characters don't have to be discussing it in a book to make it real. Do you think we wouldn't be having so much angst over this if Sanderson didn't intend for us to get the feeling that there is one? What he has so cleverly done is refrain from making it obtrusive, but it's still there.

The worst part is that Sanderson has done love triangles before, in the original Mistborn trilogy for example. I just didn't care about that one because I didn't like one of the characters. Unfortunately, I like ALL of the characters in the stormlight triangle he has constructed.

I've actually come to a neutral place at this point. I could be happy with the triangle going either way, because I'm sure that Sanderson will do it right. That still doesn't keep it from frustrating me though.

So what was the point of all this? I'm not trying to touch off any shipping wars or anything, I just hope that people will realize that the love triangle does exist, in that Sanderson has laid the foundations for further drama between Adolin, Kaladin, and Shallan. He could take this either direction, and definitely has one in mind already I'm sure, but no matter what he does it's going to be a bumpy ride.

If Sanderson, as you say, goes down that route in later books, I'm sure he will make it integral to the plot development of all the characters. Kaladin would never steal Adolin's girl, especially now that he likes Adolin, but there's nothing to say Adolin won't offend Shallan. Kaladin won't be around them much in the third book, as he's off to Alethkar, and Adolin just murdered a highprince, which might get him exiled or executed. Shallan just joined a secret society, and we don't know where that's going to lead. Any of these will have repercussions, but I do know that the characters are happy where they are now. Maybe Sanderson sewed in a few buds, but I could easily see the characters being mature about it and letting it form a friendship rather than a love triangle.

I think Sanderson was pretty much beat-you-over-the-head obvious about the love triangle. It's kind of gone past the stage where he could ignore it in the subsequent books, there've been multiple paragraphs from the perspectives of both Shallan and Kaladin about the other. At least that's the strong impression left in my mind after finishing WoR last weekend.

Despite being as tropey/ cliche as they are common in prety much all media, I think this particular example feels a lot more natural to the context in the Stormlight Archives than in other books. So, as long as Sanderson paces it correctly and continues developing the characters as quickly as he has been doing it doesn't have to be one of those face-to-the-desk subplots that the general case often ends with.

What do you mean triangle? It's clearly a quadrangle and the Stick is clearly Shallans one true love. (Shallastick OTP)

EXACTLY! I could hug you.

Funny thing, I actually don't really see a love triangle in the making- sure, there was the whole chasm thing, but I feel that Shallan genuinely loves Adolin, which I think is reciprocated. If offending her is going to make her leave like that, Adolin doesn't need her.

Woah. At the beginning of WoR, I sort of disliked Adolin and loved Kaladin. Now I like Adolin more than Kal. Weird.

EXACTLY! I could hug you.

Funny thing, I actually don't really see a love triangle in the making- sure, there was the whole chasm thing, but I feel that Shallan genuinely loves Adolin, which I think is reciprocated. If offending her is going to make her leave like that, Adolin doesn't need her.

Woah. At the beginning of WoR, I sort of disliked Adolin and loved Kaladin. Now I like Adolin more than Kal. Weird.

I don't recommend it, last time I hugged someone they accidentally got stabbed on my eye spike.  :wacko:

A love triangle exists simply by being possible and generally acknowledged. The characters don't have to be discussing it in a book to make it real.

"By being possible" are the watchwords I live by.  After all, one-in-million chances happen nine times out of ten in fiction.

uzbsyXG.jpg

What is the probability that Szeth and Eshonai met and had their own chasm scene at the end of WoR?

EXACTLY.

Ladies and gentlemen, enjoy your new ultimate OTP.

"By being possible" are the watchwords I live by.  After all, one-in-million chances happen nine times out of ten in fiction.

uzbsyXG.jpg

What is the probability that Szeth and Eshonai met and had their own chasm scene at the end of WoR?

EXACTLY.

Only if they are EXACTLY 1 in a million, as Sir Terry Pratchett would have you know

^Oh wow, Parshendi are scary, I always imagined them more human-like. 

About the potential love triangle, I just don't see that ever becoming a major thing simply because Kaladin doesn't seem like a threat to Shallan and Adolin's relationship in my eyes. The dude is too obsessed with duty to truly get close with someone else and now that a desolation is about to start and he can literally fly anywhere, I just don't see him spending time courting a betrothed lighteyes when he could be saving people. 

"By being possible" are the watchwords I live by. After all, one-in-million chances happen nine times out of ten in fiction.

uzbsyXG.jpg

EXACTLY.

Yay! One of my favorite ships, together with Renarin+Marasi.

edit: I may or may not be serious. It is funny either way.

Edited by DreamEternal

I don't know about you but when I was reading Words of Radiance for the first time, I was delighted with Adolin and Shallan's developing relationship. While I also found Shallan's interactions with Kaladin humorous/enjoyable, I felt a growing fear that Sanderson was developing a love triangle.

I hate love triangles.

Funnily enough, I remember reading a post somewhere where Brandon mentioned that his Beta-readers kept begging him that whatever else he did, not to make a love triangle. At the time I foolishly took that statement at face-value. It felt like he was reassuring us, no he wasn't going to go there. But I've looked a little more closely at the situation and I realized that this simply isn't true.

Sanderson has already made the love triangle. A love triangle exists simply by being possible and generally acknowledged. The characters don't have to be discussing it in a book to make it real. Do you think we wouldn't be having so much angst over this if Sanderson didn't intend for us to get the feeling that there is one? What he has so cleverly done is refrain from making it obtrusive, but it's still there.

The worst part is that Sanderson has done love triangles before, in the original Mistborn trilogy for example. I just didn't care about that one because I didn't like one of the characters. Unfortunately, I like ALL of the characters in the stormlight triangle he has constructed.

I've actually come to a neutral place at this point. I could be happy with the triangle going either way, because I'm sure that Sanderson will do it right. That still doesn't keep it from frustrating me though.

So what was the point of all this? I'm not trying to touch off any shipping wars or anything, I just hope that people will realize that the love triangle does exist, in that Sanderson has laid the foundations for further drama between Adolin, Kaladin, and Shallan. He could take this either direction, and definitely has one in mind already I'm sure, but no matter what he does it's going to be a bumpy ride.

After WoK I might have like a Kaladin/Shallan pairing. But after WoK, I love Adolin/Shallan so, so much more. So right now, I would absolutely hate it if Shallan dumped Adolin for Kaladin.

Honestly, I'd hate if any of the two ended up with her. Kaladin's attraction to her, and hers to him, seem very forced by the author to me, like some paragraphs awkwardly inserted to sement a love triangle. And Adolin's infatuation with her looks so superficial, corporal and even bland on a platonic level to me.

In my opinion, the triangle should be splintered as soon as possible so more interesting relationships may take place.

Personally, I do agree there is a triangle: the simple fact we are discussing it should be proof enough. Everyone knows where I stand on this one: I would hate to see Kaladin/Shallan for a list of never ending reasons, but I do agree the author has planted hints it will happen.

Personally, I do agree there is a triangle: the simple fact we are discussing it should be proof enough. Everyone knows where I stand on this one: I would hate to see Kaladin/Shallan for a list of never ending reasons, but I do agree the author has planted hints it will happen.

You know what? I like you as a person, but I don't think we'll ever agree.

Edit: Just to piss people off: SzethxShallanxAdolin love triangle FTW! It'll happen! Definitely!

Edited by Car'a'carn

You know what? I like you as a person, but I don't think we'll ever agree.

Edit: Just to piss people off: SzethxShallanxAdolin love triangle FTW! It'll happen! Definitely!

I think someone did post something about how before WoR came they imagined Szeth would sail to the Shattered Plains in disguise on the Wind's Pleasure, and a relationship between him and Shallan would slowly form, leading him to question his beliefs and eventualy redeem himself.

But then, at the time everyone only though about Shallarin, and we all know how that turned out.

But then, at the time everyone only though about Shallarin, and we all know how that turned out.

I still wonder about Shallarin... There never were true ground basis for it, Renarin and Shallan having such opposite personalities, I just can't see it working. How did it ever get so popular? 

I still wonder about Shallarin... There never were true ground basis for it, Renarin and Shallan having such opposite personalities, I just can't see it working. How did it ever get so popular?

People thought they looked cute together, and maybe thought Renarin would act more like Kabsal if he opened up a bit, so they created an whole story in theur heads specially made to make them fit.

Or in other words, what happens when you ship people who never met.

People thought they looked cute together, and maybe thought Renarin would act more like Kabsal if he opened up a bit, so they created an whole story in theur heads specially made to make them fit.

Or in other words, what happens when you ship people who never met.

But Shallan was so prone on wittiness and quick comments while Renarin was said to dissect every single words before formulating a reply... Even in WoK, it was obvious they would never manage to have a satisfying conversation. Shallan would have likely felt bored with Renarin while Renarin would have been scared at her forward manner, shrinking down in his shell some more.

I agree shipping characters who never met is dangerous, but Sheep here just got me a new one to promote... Szeshonai. I mean, it is brilliant.

You've got to love it  :ph34r: