Power-blind? [minor Secret History and Shadows for Silence spoilers]

Senor Feesh

So, I'm getting on with my Shadows for Silence re-read. Nothing in particular to shout about (and I might be being over-careful with spoilers, but I'd rather be over-careful than under-careful).

Anyway, I noticed that the Shades are "blinded and disoriented" by fire. Considering that Shades are considered to be Cognitive Shadows (is that confirmed, btw? I can't remember now) and we know that Kelsier saw metal as a blinding light when in the Cognitive Realm (much like those holding Preservation do) it did make me wonder. What's up with Fire? Why are Shades blinded by it? Is fire somehow keyed on Investiture on Threnody?

So are shades on Threnody cognitive shadows that exist in the physical realm?  If so do we have any idea how they got into the physical realm?

We have nothing really concrete on this as of yet, but it's assumed their presence in the physical has something to do with whatever "The Evil" was.

Ok, I found out we do have confirmation that Shades are Cognitive Shadows. Also has some extra relevance with Seons, apparently.

Hmmm, what that person asks about cognitive shadows going to the forest of hell does he mean going to the cognitive realm side of the Forest of Hell or the Physical side?

Im curious to know if Shades in the forest are cognitive shadows that have some how made it to the physical realm or does something about the cognitive realm at the forest cause cognitive shadows to "bleed" through to the physical realm from the cognitive.

I hope all that made sense.

Ok, so additional SH related things meaning I'm posting here rather than the short-stories board. Silence's grandmother's Shade. She doesn't attack Silence, and never has. Suggests she's able to retain some sense of self, or at least a degree of control.

Was her grandmother able to get some additional measure of Investiture either before or after death? We've seen with Kelsier in SH that Invested individuals with a higher amount of Investiture last longer before moving into the Beyond.

Alternatively, is this something to do with Connection? If you're very strongly Connected to an individual, that persists through death and into the Cognitive (Kelsier was able to speak with Spook, and with Vin).

Wild theory time!

What if everyone "living" on Threnody IS in the cognitive realm?! That is what if the forests of Hell is in the Cognitive realm and everyone there is oblivious to that fact? That way when someone dies, they hang around.

There are a few obstacles to overcome here (like why does threnody have day and night?) but hey I can ignore inconvenient facts to have some fun when it suits me. ;)

Wild theory time!

What if everyone "living" on Threnody IS in the cognitive realm?! That is what if the forests of Hell is in the Cognitive realm and everyone there is oblivious to that fact? That way when someone dies, they hang around.

There are a few obstacles to overcome here (like why does threnody have day and night?) but hey I can ignore inconvenient facts to have some fun when it suits me. ;)

The problem there lies in the fact that...(Shadows spoilers)

Only people killed by shades come back as shades.  If people die normally, they move on to wherever it is they need to go.

• 2 weeks later...

The curious thing to me is that silver can repel the Shades, not aluminum. It could be simply a case of ralkahest (or however you spell it) where they call the metal the wrong thing, but maybe not.

There is no Shard on Threnody, but apparently Seons--and perhaps other Splinters--would manifest as Shades. Perhaps Threnody's magic system has initiation by death, similar to Nalthis.

The problem there lies in the fact that...(Shadows spoilers)

Only people killed by shades come back as shades.  If people die normally, they move on to wherever it is they need to go.

But, Silence killed her grandmoder, didn't she? I might be wrong but I think there was no shadow involved in that.

But, Silence killed her grandmoder, didn't she? I might be wrong but I think there was no shadow involved in that.

No, her grandmother was killed by shades, distracting them long enough for Silence herself to escape.

So are shades on Threnody cognitive shadows that exist in the physical realm? If so do we have any idea how they got into the physical realm?

I believe shades & spren are a similar thing. & Adonisolium(<butchered that) created Threnody as the cosmere graveyard. So creating fire would attract flamespren. Flamespren may manifest more aggressive in the cognitive realm.

The curious thing to me is that silver can repel the Shades, not aluminum. It could be simply a case of ralkahest (or however you spell it) where they call the metal the wrong thing, but maybe not.

There is no Shard on Threnody, but apparently Seons--and perhaps other Splinters--would manifest as Shades. Perhaps Threnody's magic system has initiation by death, similar to Nalthis.

Have you read Hero of Ages? You should understand what's going on with Silver if you (re)read that carefully. Basically I would expect Aluminium would work just as well, they probably haven't ever tried it because everyone knows Silver works and/or Aluminium is not in common usage yet.

The scene you want...

Is where Vin is kept prisoner and talks about silver being Allomantically inert, the exact term later used to describe Aluminium.

I expect there's something going on where the usual seperation between Cognitive and Physical is not complete. I think certain details (like bodies, etc...) rule out the forests actually being completely in the Cognitive, but something have allowed Cognitive Shades to link to the Physical in a very weird way if they're formed through a very specific type of magic.

edit: Whoops had the wrong book. You can also read the annotations for HoA for easy confirmation.

Edited by Ari

Have you read Hero of Ages? You should understand what's going on with Silver if you (re)read that carefully. Basically I would expect Aluminium would work just as well, they probably haven't ever tried it because everyone knows Silver works and/or Aluminium is not in common usage yet.

The scene you want...

Is where Vin is kept prisoner and talks about silver being Allomantically inert, the exact term later used to describe Aluminium.

I expect there's something going on where the usual seperation between Cognitive and Physical is not complete. I think certain details (like bodies, etc...) rule out the forests actually being completely in the Cognitive, but something have allowed Cognitive Shades to link to the Physical in a very weird way if they're formed through a very specific type of magic.

edit: Whoops had the wrong book. You can also read the annotations for HoA for easy confirmation.

Vin thinks Silver is allomatically inert (though weirdly nobody seems to think much about it in the W&W books despite its inertia making it a theoretically useful metal. Could it not just be very highly invested? We know that something invested enough appears to be inert. Inert metal shouldn't be able to harm something cognitive or invested for that reason- it shouldn't react! Being of an opposite investment however, certainly would.

New WOB Spoiler

as we now know that Sel and Threnody share a sun, at least, doesn't the corrupted Dor goings on making Elantrians zombies sound Rather similar to Shades hanging around?

Edited by IndigoAjah

New WOB Spoiler

as we now know that Sel and Threnody share a sun, at least, doesn't the corrupted Dor goings on making Elantrians zombies sound Rather similar to Shades hanging around?

Did I miss Brandon answering the Threnody location question affirmatively?  Can you point to the source?

Did I miss Brandon answering the Threnody location question affirmatively?  Can you point to the source?

Here, first question.

Anyway Vin thinks as Silver as useless because she has no Allomantic power by burn it, if the Silver was like Alluminium you will see Mistkiller with silver weapon, Inquisitor & Mistborn with Silver Weapon.... Every nobles will use silver jewel, ecc....It would be much valuable than Atium probably.

There is a WoB about if burning Alluminium or use Therenody's Silver is better to cure a Shades's touch and BS said that burning Alluminium is better... Therefore problably they are really different metals

Edited by Yata

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that silver is just unburnable, as opposed to aluminum, which is an Allomantic black hole. Remember, in TFE, Vin asks about whether her earring could be used against her, and he said no, due to the metal piercing her skin, not because you can't Push and Pull silver.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that silver is just unburnable, as opposed to aluminum, which is an Allomantic black hole. Remember, in TFE, Vin asks about whether her earring could be used against her, and he said no, due to the metal piercing her skin, not because you can't Push and Pull silver.

Vin's earring is Bronze though, isn't it? It's a hemalurgic spike anyway; definitely one of the sixteen base metals (and one of the ten known in TFE).