A Comprehensive Chart [Bands Spoilers]

Kairos

Spoilers for the end of Bands.

So, Ettsmetal. Personally, I think it's Sodium, but obviously we have a new metal. So, how does this line up with the overall scheme?

Simple, it's the opposite of Aluminium. We've always thought that Duralumin was Aluminium's pair, but think about it a bit more, Duralumin doesn't exactly mirror Aluminium's abilities. Duralumin enhances, Aluminium destroys. My theory is that there's another quadrant(quintuplant?) on the chart.

Sodium creates Investiture, Aluminium destroys it. This means there should be 3 more metals, probably alloys of Sodium, two more temporal metals, and one more spiritual which should mirror Duralumin in that it would reduce Investiture, probably by slowing the burn of a metal.

Thoughts?

Also, this definitely confirms the Epic God Metal theory.

A few people suggested lithium, because of its explosive reaction with water and the parallel between the Germanic nature of Allik's people, the fact that ett means or is similar to the meaning of "one" in more than one language from Germanic descent and lithium being the first metal on the periodic table. I like that better.

As to whether it could imply more metals... I'll need to think about that one some more.

Let's not forget: there are four more symbols that don't correspond to any known metal. Based on the conventions, it seems to indicate that there are two more metals, with their respective alloys. (Dot on the outside indicates pure metal, dot on the inside indicates alloy.) So, I doubt there are three ettmetal alloys. I wonder if ettmetal is 19 or 21?

I think it's also worth noting that Aluminum and Chromium do not destroy Investiture, they just block it. Either removing metal reserves (the key to power, not the source of power) or even stopping Nazh's laser gun for a moment (which he turned back on quickly enough). Assuming that ettmetal is the External Pushing metal of its quadrant, the External Pulling metal (an ettmetal alloy) might have a larkin-like effect, actually destroying the Investiture. As for the Internal metal... I wonder what else is in a primer cube? Something that takes in and replicates the usage of Investiture, possibly?

Lying Orlion, you make a good point: while ettmetal interacts with Allomancy, no one has burned it (and, seeing as it reacts violently with water, I certainly wouldn't recommend swallowing it), so it might not be a true "Allomatic metal." But it does appear that we have a "real" metal (either Alkali or Alkaline Earth) with new properties on Scadrial, so I would definitely say that this is a function of the Metallic Arts, a previously unrevealed aspect that unlocks mechanical Allomancy.

It seems doubtful that there are any more normal metals since 16 is such a stressed number and because there have been no hints of more metals. Harmony even told Spook at the end of the first books that there were 2 undiscovered metals, cadmium and bendalloy, so there really isn’t a reason to think this fits in with the normal metals.

Whatever it is I doubt it’s normal. It seems more likely that ettmetal is either a god metal, an alloy, or something totally different.

Either that or a god metal with an alkaline atomic structure.

Atium doesn't seem radioactive really, so I've always wondered if god metals have the same atomic numbers as certain normal metals.

I seem to vaguely recall that there is nothing that makes the God metals' physical forms special - it's the combination of their three Realmatic aspects that lets them enable the powers they enable. So, sure, they should have all the physical properties we know of - (atomic) mass, density, electronegativity, etc.

Let's not forget: there are four more symbols that don't correspond to any known metal. Based on the conventions, it seems to indicate that there are two more metals, with their respective alloys. (Dot on the outside indicates pure metal, dot on the inside indicates alloy.) So, I doubt there are three ettmetal alloys. I wonder if ettmetal is 19 or 21?

Brandon has been asked about those extra symbols, and the jist of his answer was that those symbols do not refer only to the metals, they are also the characters of the Steel alphabet.  They are needed to represent certain sounds, but do not refer to a metal.

Brandon has been asked about those extra symbols, and the jist of his answer was that those symbols do not refer only to the metals, they are also the characters of the Steel alphabet.  They are needed to represent certain sounds, but do not refer to a metal.

Do you know where to find a direct quote? I've been looking for info on those symbols for a few months, now. Do we know for certain that there is no metal associated with the symbols? Or that the Scadrians don't associate metals with those symbols (since they don't know about them)?

Do you know where to find a direct quote? I've been looking for info on those symbols for a few months, now. Do we know for certain that there is no metal associated with the symbols? Or that the Scadrians don't associate metals with those symbols (since they don't know about them)?

Q: I just started Part 3 and I actually went over to your booth to ask them because I was confused. There are different symbols for the Allomantic metals but I only recognize one of them here. Why are there different symbols you don’t know about at the beginning of different parts?

B: Part of it is they don’t know all the metals yet, in the books, and so that’s a hint. Part of it is because that their writing system is more than 16 letters and so there are symbols that do not represent a metal, necessarily, or an Allomantic metal so they can-- They write with them as well. It is both a writing system and each symbol is a metal.

(source)

A few people suggested lithium, because of its explosive reaction with water and the parallel between the Germanic nature of Allik's people, the fact that ett means or is similar to the meaning of "one" in more than one language from Germanic descent and lithium being the first metal on the periodic table. I like that better.

As to whether it could imply more metals... I'll need to think about that one some more.

I could see lithium. I just got hung up on the fact that it reacted to water, and assumed it was sodium.

The metal so far has only been shown to be used as fuel. No one has ingested and "burned" it yet, so strictly speaking I am hesitant to group it together with other Allomatic metals.

What better way to prevent Allomancers finding it, than have it explode from water contact?

Did not the book specifically have a newspaper add have a thing about harmonium? I think that was there to get us thinking about what could have replaced ruin and preservations metals.

I think the metal is physical investiture of harmony. Think about it. It powers allomancy, but is also very destructive. Sounds like a perfect combination of preservation and ruin to me.

Perhaps with the right chemical or magical process you could extract the two God metals from it.

I bet Harmony saw the need to help the southern people power their metallic art fabrials, so he made it that his physical body of investiture condensates there. It's not feruchemical, Hemuralgic, or allomantic, but it does power allomancy based fabrial magics, and maybe recharge feruchemical and Hemuralgic ones.

To me it just makes sense that Harmony's metal wouldn't be like atrium or lerasium. I mean, the two powers are opposite sides of the same coin. They probably wouldn't mix well. Represented by the explosive power.

• Chaos locked this topic