A little spoilery?

I just gotta say, I know there is a professed no spoiler in thread titles policy right now, but it seems like it isn't being enforced. I'm seeing an awful lot of thread titles in the recent topics blurb over on the side that have the spoiler tag, but then proceed to mention some pretty spoileriffic things from Bands or Secret History. As I have not finished Bands yet and haven't even been able to start Secret History, I'm a little put off. Sorry, don't mean to gripe it's just kinda been turning me off from wanting to come to the site to check out other stuff.

I'm doing my best and will be dishing out moderation as necessary. I've edited one topic title for what I considered to be spoilery. I... Don't know what you could be referring to on other spoilers, since they are sufficiently vague most of the time. I have generally seen things just not being tagged but people are getting it.

Like, I guess we may have a different threshold for what a "topic title spoiler is"? I am looking at the list of things on those boards and you can glean very limited information, and nothing central to things. I suppose it is a nonzero amount of information, but it really is minimal.

You can also just turn off the Recent Topics ticker by hovering over it and pressing on the upper right on it.

I am curious to hear what topic titles you deem to be too much?

EDIT: I would just say that I am very aware about the central mysteries of these books and we are defending them hardcore. I have also called people out in threads. Like... Maybe we won't get to a thread within ten minutes of existence, but trust me, I know what spoilers need to be protected. I feel very strongly about them being protected. No topic title gives anything specific right now.

I guess maybe what might be at the root of it is not knowing if these are just speculation on connections or actual central spoilers. There was one mentioning Threnody, one talking about Stormlight connections...maybe if they are just theories a new rule could be put in place to label them as such? I didn't know I could close that feed so that will help, I just know there are probably others who might not catch that. Sorry, don't mean to be kvetchy on this it just kinda bugged me.

I guess maybe what might be at the root of it is not knowing if these are just speculation on connections or actual central spoilers. There was one mentioning Threnody, one talking about Stormlight connections...maybe if they are just theories a new rule could be put in place to label them as such? I didn't know I could close that feed so that will help, I just know there are probably others who might not catch that. Sorry, don't mean to be kvetchy on this it just kinda bugged me.

Okay, that I can understand. I actually removed the Threnody reference because though I thought it was okay, it was on the line. I'll make the gap between the line a little more wide.

I'm not sure if a theory label would help. That thread referencing Stormlight is difficult to make vaguer, but I will see if I can phrase it as such.

Though saying so is potentially spoilery, the topic titles will never be direct as to central spoilers. Central spoilers are people that would get struck in the mod queue immediately and get a very angry message from me. Those are easy. Others are extreme edge cases that make it hard to judge how vague is vague, but I would say that they are pretty vague.

Yeah I can see how it would be a hard tightrope to walk. I mean even if there's a hint of Roshar/Stormlight/Worldhopping shenanigans in the books, I'm one of those people that doesn't even want to know that, even though I know eventually these books will all tie together and cross over. I just don't want to know when before hand. Hope that makes sense, and thanks for being understanding. ^_^

I can understand that perspective for sure. On the other hand, there have been Worldhoppers in every cosmere book, so theorizing in that regard should not be terribly surprising.

EDIT: I've edited that thread to generally just refer to Worldhopping, rather than a specific world. I think that might be the proper balance?

Edited by Chaos

Yeah that's pretty acceptable. I know at some point it gets all weird and you would end up with thread titles like "That thing about the thing" and no one would be able to keep track of anything.

I've been a mod on a few forums and I know that especially at times like these it's a nasty thankless job (usually for no pay ;) ) and requires CONSTANT VIGILANCE! Thanks for taking the time to listen.

Edited by The Invested Beard

Has anyone tried creating a spoilers thread where people can go specifically to discuss new books like Bands or Secret History? That would seem like a good idea, I think. If it's allowed, maybe I'll start a "Bands of Mourning Spoilers" thread.

There are whole subforums for those books.

Has anyone tried creating a spoilers thread where people can go specifically to discuss new books like Bands or Secret History? That would seem like a good idea, I think. If it's allowed, maybe I'll start a "Bands of Mourning Spoilers" thread.

That's exactly the idea?

To chime in with my 2 clips...

After having just devoured Bands of Mourning and Secret History, I popped into the appropriate spoiler boards to catch up on recent advances in realmatic theory, but I found a lot of the thread topics vague to the point of uselessness.  "[spoilers] That thing in the place!", "[spoilers] Why did you-now-who do you-know-what?", "[spoilers] Spoilers for spoilering spoiler Hoid spoiler!"

Apparently this is because some sort of news-ticker is scraping the spoiler boards and reposting things to the main page? I'm all for preventing accidental spoilers, but rather than having to censor thread titles *within* the spoiler boards, I think it would be better to not automatically repost those threads in the first place. Just a thought...

Edited by Harakeke

To chime in with my 2 clips...

After having just devoured Bands of Mourning and Secret History, I popped into the appropriate spoiler boards to catch up on recent advances in realmatic theory, but I found a lot of the thread topics vague to the point of uselessness.  "[spoilers] That thing in the place!", "[spoilers] Why did you-now-who do you-know-what?", "[spoilers] Spoilers for spoilering spoiler Hoid spoiler!"

Apparently this is because some sort of news-ticker is scraping the spoiler boards and reposting things to the main page? I'm all for preventing accidental spoilers, but rather than having to censor thread titles *within* the spoiler boards, I think it would be better to not automatically repost those threads in the first place. Just a thought...

I think it's safe to say that if there were an easy way to filter the protected boards out of that ticker, Chaos would have implemented it long ago.

If there's no way to control the content of the ticker, it might be worth considering whether its cost (in terms of mod time, spoiled readers, and general forum organization) outweigh its usefulness. Just a suggestion. I appreciate all the hard work the admins and mods put in here!

• 2 weeks later...

After the February 9th: I understand that:

• spoiler-containing topics can be posted in Cosmere Theories, but have to be marked with [bands Spoilers] or [secret History Spoilers]
  • spoilers have to be within spoiler tags outside of respective subforums

But what about people discussing things in some topic in Cosmere Theories (not a spoiler-containg one, so without warnings) and then suddenly talking about spoiler-heavy stuff without spoiler tags?

I can't even count the spoilers I have seen. I knew I would have to go dark after six months since MSH passed, as spoilers will be flying left and right, but seriously, even now nobody cares! If this goes on I won't even have to read Secret History to know what's in there!

P.S. Shadows Of Self spoilers have to be spoiler-tagged until 6th of April, right?

Edited by Oversleep

After the February 9th: I understand that:

• spoiler-containing topics can be posted in Cosmere Theories, but have to be marked with [bands Spoilers] or [secret History Spoilers]
  • spoilers have to be within spoiler tags outside of respective subforums

But what about people discussing things in some topic in Cosmere Theories (not a spoiler-containg one, so without warnings) and then suddenly talking about spoiler-heavy stuff without spoiler tags?

I can't even count the spoilers I have seen. I knew I would have to go dark after six months since MSH passed, as spoilers will be flying left and right, but seriously, even now nobody cares! If this goes on I won't even have to read Secret History to know what's in there!

P.S. Shadows Of Self spoilers have to be spoiler-tagged until 6th of April, right?

From my memory, spoiler containing topics should still be posted in their respective subforum, not cosmere Theories, individual posts can be posted outside the subforum if marked with spoiler tags (Even if it's in cosmere theories)