What instrument do you (want to) play?

ZeldaDad

Oooh, a fellow marcher, eh? My parents would never spring for flute lessons, but I got my share of marching in the color guard. Also, I completely agree: the cello is absolutely gorgeous.

The cool thing about the UCF marching band is that they'll let anybody in the band, even if you have no music history at all. If you're willing to learn, then they'll have one of your instrument's staff help you out and you can check out an instrument. Sadly there's no flute section. We only march piccolos.

To be completely honest, though, the only reason I enjoy marching band is because it's a great way to meet people and bond. I love playing in concert band and all, but there doesn't seem to be quite the same camaraderie in a concert setting.

• 3 weeks later...

In college I taught myself some chords and scales on the guitar and can still play some simple songs, I was shown a blues scale and like to play along to music every know and then still. I played the trumpet for at least a decade in my youth, I still remember how, but don't think the muscles in my lips would actually let me play without a couple months of practice.

The cool thing about the UCF marching band is that they'll let anybody in the band, even if you have no music history at all. If you're willing to learn, then they'll have one of your instrument's staff help you out and you can check out an instrument. Sadly there's no flute section. We only march piccolos.

To be completely honest, though, the only reason I enjoy marching band is because it's a great way to meet people and bond. I love playing in concert band and all, but there doesn't seem to be quite the same camaraderie in a concert setting.

Wait, you go to Under Construction Forever? My best friend goes there! I'm at FAU, myself; UCF doesn't offer a Linguistics major.

Also, I inherited a resonator guitar and an electric fiddle from my Dad. I am now irresistibly compelled to learn how to play both of these things.

Well, the nice thing about an electric is that when you unplug it, it's way quieter than a traditional fiddle, which means I can practice without bothering the people around me. Also, weird is good.

And accordion, huh? That sounds fun indeed!

Wait, you go to Under Construction Forever? My best friend goes there! I'm at FAU, myself; UCF doesn't offer a Linguistics major.

Also, I inherited a resonator guitar and an electric fiddle from my Dad. I am now irresistibly compelled to learn how to play both of these things.

Yep. I like U Can't Finish the best though. It certainly feels that way. >< I live about a 20 minute drive from the main Orlando campus so it was kind of my only option since my parents can't really afford to get me a place to stay.

• 2 months later...

Wee, I love instruments! I would love to learn to play the cello...I agree, the timbre is just gorgeous!

I play the Sax. I picked it up because my school didn't have strings (I'd always wanted to play the violin at the time because I loved classical music) and Lisa Simpson played the Sax. Haha. It actually turned out to be a pretty good fit for me! I picked it up easily. My 5th grade band (the year we all started) was better than the 6th grade band that year and from there it only went up! In highschool I was first and I started playing on the Soprano as well as the Alto. When I did my one year of college (eek, private college is expeeensive) I started playing the Bari too and loooved it. I really really miss being in a band! I would still be playing my sax if I could have gotten into a band. I find playing on my boring and I never practiced (which is probably why I was never better than I was). Once I hit college I learned I'd been playing the sax wrong the entire time too...I guess my tongue doesn't hit the same place as other saxophonists. It hits the top of my mouth and not the reed.

I was also in choir and I could have gotten into the "special" choir if they didn't meet at the same time as band, which I preferred. They also did their tours at the same time.

Me in, well I forget what it was called actually, a mini group within the larger band. We were playing at a basketball game looks like.

13411297.jpg

Edited by Syborae

Bad place to set up your instruments for a show, IMO. :D

Flautist, here. I started playing in 5th grade, and did marching band in 9th. Had to quit for 10th because concert band and the art class I wanted were the same period, and I loved are more than band.

One day I'd like to find a bass flute, as well as one of those ~3' long bamboo ones from the East. (China? Japan? /shrug )

• Chaos locked this topic