Non Radiant Glowyness

The Count

Very quick, but I hope provocative...

The Soldiers in the flashback scene in WoR seem to have stormlight faintly and people have speculated that they are proto-Radiants or that the KR in the scene has somehow enowed them with stormlight.

But how about this...

Those men do not have a spren... they are like everyone's favourite truthless.

Discuss.

Szeth also doesn't glow in such a way, I don't think. If he did, he'd be the Assassin in Light, not the Assassin in White.

First, upvote for the pun when I get to a computer.

Second, he mentions that his abilities are poorly suited for assassination because they make him glow.

First, upvote for the pun when I get to a computer.

Second, he mentions that his abilities are poorly suited for assassination because they make him glow.

I suppose I have been thinking of the glow on the soldiers as something fairly bright because it is noted, but I suppose if it was Dalinar's first time seeing the glow of Stormlight in someone, it would be notable for sure. I just find it hard to believe Szeth is running around and everyone is just concerned that he is wearing white.... but there it is!

Since I assume that Szeth's abilities are coming from the sword, I don't think people can do it without a special shardblade.  I have no evidence, though. 

If people can infuse without fabrial, spren bond, Radiant ability or magic sword, why wouldn't everybody do it?  If it was just a special technique, then eventually the secret would leak out and every soldier would learn it. 

As for Bloodfalcon's question:

Szeth also doesn't glow in such a way, I don't think. If he did, he'd be the Assassin in Light, not the Assassin in White.

there's also this from the Prologue to WoR:

Jasnah screamed, dashing through the room to the broken balcony, falling to her knees at the edge. Wind tugged locks of hair loose from her bun as she watched two men fall.

Her father, and the Shin man in white from the feast.

The Shin man glowed with a white light. He fell onto the wall. He hit it, rolling, then came to a stop. He stood up, somehow remaining on the outer palace wall and not falling. It defied reason.

I think people are discounting what the witnesses are saying about the glowing (the witnesses may also be reluctant to report the glowing), because they don't understand it, hence the Assassin in White. 

Edited by hoser

When Szeth touches another person to do a lashing, they also glow, right?

Maybe the radiant with the soldiers has done some sort of lashing to them. I couldn't say what type of lashing since I don't know what surges that radiant has, but it is possible their glow is because they were infused somehow to protect them/help them fight the thunderclast.

Couple of points:

1 - We don't know much about Truthless, but we do know that Szeth is not the only one. Rysn's master tells her that in Shinovar, soldiers are the lowest class of people, and are traded among others by virtue of their stones (oathstones). Therefore, Szeth is not unique in being Truthless.

2 - Szeth is unique, however, in his surgebinding abilities. The Shin farmer in the interlude basically says so. He also has a unique Blade, which has been confirmed to belong to someone who another Herald would address as "my Lord". Not much room for interpretation there.

3 - The soldiers are going up against a 30 foot tall creature made out of solid stone. With hammers. You could argue that they're more of a hindrance to the one or two knights than a help, because ordinary soldiers with ordinary hammers would be less than useless against a thunderclast; they'd get in the knights' way, and need protecting. I doubt that they'd send anyone not capable of using stormlight against a thunderclast.

2 - Szeth is unique, however, in his surgebinding abilities. The Shin farmer in the interlude basically says so. He also has a unique Blade, which has been confirmed to belong to someone who another Herald would address as "my Lord". Not much room for interpretation there.

I don't think it is confirmed that they are talking about Szeth. It is just assumed so. Unless Brandon said something about it recently?

C ... 1 - We don't know much about Truthless, but we do know that Szeth is not the only one. Rysn's master tells her that in Shinovar, soldiers are the lowest class of people, and are traded among others by virtue of their stones (oathstones). Therefore, Szeth is not unique in being Truthless.

Soldiers being traded has nothing to do with whether there are other Truthless.  In addition, I am sure there is a relevent quote. from the Rysn interlude in tWoK:.

"But I do not think we will have another like him," Thresh seemed to grow distracted, "Indeed, I should hope we never do...."
Edited by hoser

Just before that, Thresh stated that common soldiers could not be sold to an outsider. Common soldiers are sold and traded, like slaves or goods, with value. In comparison,Thresh tried to give Szeth away. Thresh states that "He wasn't worth anything at all." due to his being Truthless.

The Oathstone as a symbol of ownership is common between them, but they are clearly different classes of people.

When it comes to glowing soldiers, remember that Kaladin seemed to glow while he was in Amaram's army saving Cenn, and Dalinar seemed to glow during the chasmfiend fight.  Kaladin also glows at the end of the Way of Kings, and he has only found two ideals and he is not a KR yet.  Kaladin also stated that Syl refused to tell him the other oaths, and that if he didn't find them, he would not progress any further.

We have plenty of examples of soldiers who are on the path to being radiants glowing and it seems to be possible that at least some people only make it part-way, with those farther on the path glowing more.  

With all the evidence that we have for proto-radiants glowing, I would expect that the soldiers with a KR would be those most likely to become KR themselves. Therefore I don't think the soldiers needed the KR to do anything for them.  

I have a diferent idea about this.

I was thinking, some of the bridgemen had odd "healings" after they come in contact with Kaladin.

See Dabbid that had a would that should have killed, Teft with the arrow in the shoulder, Skar with a arrow in the foot all.

In on POV Teft commented that he wasn't felling as much pain as he should.

Maybe the radiant have some kind of area of affect power that let them share a fraction of their power with their men.

For what understand there are Power Levels in the Radiand order. (see Sly recent comment),maybe a full Radiant could share a little of stormlight with his men, what would explain the comment in the first book "I can't pomise a place in any order but you could be a soldier" in Dalinar vision, and would give a clear motivation to others join the "Radiant Corps", you would be able to fight better,heal fast(who could ask a better medical care plan) and if you are atunned with later become a Radiant.

Also the Nohadon coment about "the allure that the common folk had to the windrunners" would make sense, if one could receive this boosts would make more sense to join the radiant then the "regular" militar ranks.

Edited by Natans

I was thinking, some of the bridgemen had odd "healings" after they come in contact with Kaladin.

See Dabbid that had a would that should have killed, Teft with the arrow in the shoulder, Skar with a arrow in the foot all.

Maybe the radiant have some kind of area of affect power that let them share a fraction of their power with their men.

For what understand there are Power Levels in the Radiand order. (see Sly recent comment),maybe a full Radiant could share a little of stormlight with his men, what would explain the comment in the first book "I can't pomise a place in any order but you could be a soldier" in Dalinar vision, and would give a clear motivation to others join the "Radiant Corps", you would be able to fight better,heal fast(who could ask a better medical care plan) and if you are atunned with later become a Radiant.

Also the Nohadon coment about "the allure that the common folk had to the windrunners" would make sense, if one could receive this boosts would make more sense to join the radiant then the "regular" militar ranks.

Like the Radiant Reserves

Jezrien Needs You!

Like the Radiant Reserves

Jezrien Needs You!

LOL

If a had any artistic hability i would do a Uncle Sam needs you version of the Almighty right now .

Upvote for the laugh =)

220px-Unclesamwantyou.jpg

Edited by Natans

I took those healing incidents in a completely different light.  Kaladin spent so long wondering why he survived when others did not, and now his soldiers are seeing the same sort of "luck" Kaladin used to have. I think the Kaladin is leading his men towards the ideals and they are becoming surgebinders as well.  Therefore I think they are going through the same process that Kaladin did, they are beginning to act in accordance with the ideals, and honor is aiding them.  It was not just Kaladin who wanted to go back and save Dalinar, he had installed the ideals in his men that they all felt that it was right to go back.  

I think that the scene with the KR in the purelake is kind of foreshadowing of what we will see with Kaladin.  A full KR leading a squad of surgebinders who are on the path to being KR on their own.  

I took those healing incidents in a completely different light.  Kaladin spent so long wondering why he survived when others did not, and now his soldiers are seeing the same sort of "luck" Kaladin used to have. I think the Kaladin is leading his men towards the ideals and they are becoming surgebinders as well.  Therefore I think they are going through the same process that Kaladin did, they are beginning to act in accordance with the ideals, and honor is aiding them.  It was not just Kaladin who wanted to go back and save Dalinar, he had installed the ideals in his men that they all felt that it was right to go back.  

I think that the scene with the KR in the purelake is kind of foreshadowing of what we will see with Kaladin.  A full KR leading a squad of surgebinders who are on the path to being KR on their own.  

You could be correct, but I personally dont believe in this because the brigdeman don't have a spren to give their "honor" power.

In true the Vision could just mean that all are  semi-radiants Knights with the same level of power that Kaladin have,(super sayadin level 1 I mean Knight Radiant of second Ideal). But even so every odd occurence draw my attention and the Bridge 4 are a odd bunch indeed =)