Non Radiant Glowyness

The Count

You could be correct, but I personally dont believe in this because the brigdeman don't have a spren to give their "honor" power.

In true the Vision could just mean that all are semi-radiants Knights with the same level of power that Kaladin have,(super sayadin level 1 I mean Knight Radiant of second Ideal). But even so every odd occurence draw my attention and the Bridge 4 are a odd bunch indeed =)

Maybe Syl's been infusing them on the sly, and Kaladin's never thought to ask.

Maybe Syl's been infusing them on the sly, and Kaladin's never thought to ask.

Jasnah didn't implied the one a one relationship ?

"Shallan you are bonded with THIS puppyspren and such".

But this also could be correct after all Kaladin make her appear to all brigdies.

You could be correct, but I personally dont believe in this because the brigdeman don't have a spren to give their "honor" power.

In true the Vision could just mean that all are  semi-radiants Knights with the same level of power that Kaladin have,(super sayadin level 1 I mean Knight Radiant of second Ideal). But even so every odd occurence draw my attention and the Bridge 4 are a odd bunch indeed =)

I am not sure how the bonding works, but Syl seemed to go completely un-noticed until Kaladin was made a slave, and Dalinar doesn't seem to have a spren we have seen yet either.  I think the bridgecrew are like Dalinar or Kaladin before he noticed Syl.  I think the soldiers in Dalinar's vision are more like present day Kaladin, they have some power, but they are not yet full KR.  

There is no real proof that I am right though, I just like the idea that Kaladin's leadership is making them better people rather than his power is just helping those around him.  

Also the Nohadon coment about "the allure that the common folk had to the windrunners" would make sense, if one could receive this boosts would make more sense to join the radiant then the "regular" militar ranks.

To be precise the quote was "Their power... well, Alakavish proves the allure that Surgebinders have for the common people."  Yeah I know it is a might pedantic of me to say so but I feel the difference bewtween "Surgebinder" and "Windrunner" is important.  Kind of like the difference between Szeth and Kaladin.

To be precise the quote was "Their power... well, Alakavish proves the allure that Surgebinders have for the common people."  Yeah I know it is a might pedantic of me to say so but I feel the difference bewtween "Surgebinder" and "Windrunner" is important.  Kind of like the difference between Szeth and Kaladin.

That's like comparing an osprey and an eagle. I think this is on the order of hawks vs. falcons.

Tks for the correction all my versions of the way of kings are away for the moment so I messed up a bit, but the idea remains =)

Edited by Natans

That's like comparing an osprey and an eagle. I think this is on the order of hawks vs. falcons.

I think it is more like comparing someone who would kill anybody just because his master tells him too and somebody who would refuse to kill innocents under any circumstances.  Important difference IMO.

I think it is more like comparing someone who would kill anybody just because his master tells him too and somebody who would refuse to kill innocents under any circumstances. Important difference IMO.

That's the difference between a Surgebinder and a Windrunner?

The thing is though:

Surgebinder is a catch all term for anyone bonded to a spren.

Windrunner is a specific order of KR who are bonded to Honorspren and have sworn all the ideals.

A better comparison would surely be: Birds of Prey vs Falcons.

Also, Honorspren Surgebinders existed before the formation of the KR (we assume) and that surgebinder would still probably refuse to kill innocents, I think.

The thing is though:

Surgebinder is a catch all term for anyone bonded to a spren.

Windrunner is a specific order of KR who are bonded to Honorspren and have sworn all the ideals.

A better comparison would surely be: Birds of Prey vs Falcons.

Also, Honorspren Surgebinders existed before the formation of the KR (we assume) and that surgebinder would still probably refuse to kill innocents, I think.

All falcons are hawks, but not all hawks are falcons. Or the other way around. Regardless, we're bickering over a silly metaphor.

Yeah, it's Teft is constantly correcting people by saying that Kaladin is NOT a radiant. However, Nohadon mentions that not all spren are as discerning as Honorspren. Surgebinders of other orders don't naturally have the sense of honor that windrunners have, which led to Alakazish's war.

I agree with @Daishi5 and @Natans that the men were probably Radiant initiates. We associate shardplate and blades with the Radiants, but there isn't any reason we should believe they ALL had them. Unlike other visions, these men weren't defending their homes and families, they were hunting some sort of twisted spren. My guess is that they were being taken out by a full Radiant to get some real-world experience, where failure meant a boring mission and return to Urithiru (I assume). Remember: the thunderclast was completely unexpected.

Yeah, it's Teft is constantly correcting people by saying that Kaladin is NOT a radiant. However, Nohadon mentions that not all spren are as discerning as Honorspren. Surgebinders of other orders don't naturally have the sense of honor that windrunners have, which led to Alakazish's war.

I agree with @Daishi5 and @Natans that the men were probably Radiant initiates. We associate shardplate and blades with the Radiants, but there isn't any reason we should believe they ALL had them. Unlike other visions, these men weren't defending their homes and families, they were hunting some sort of twisted spren. My guess is that they were being taken out by a full Radiant to get some real-world experience, where failure meant a boring mission and return to Urithiru (I assume). Remember: the thunderclast was completely unexpected.

To my eyes, they seemed too prepared to be initiates - unless they had served in a different military and were only now becoming Surgebinders. Dalinar's host seemed like he was the only newbie in the group, based on the other's reactions.

@ Kyzkle: Teft says that Kaladin is not yet a Knight Radiant, but I think Teft sees Kaladin on is way to become a Knight Radiant. This, I think, because he has more knowledge than he admits (for example he knows about the Ideals).

As for Dalinar's companions in this vision: What if they use some fabrials? Perhaps to enhance their strength.

Dalinar notice that the Radiant in red plate moved through the water a little to smoothly perhaps these men have just had there friction turned down a notch my a Edgedancer, I think I remember Kaladin making the bag of gems glow when he first made it stick to the barrel in WoK, it this is the case the Radiant in red simply touched a few of her men on the way to engage the giant rock monster, downing their friction a good fraction exempting their feet ...this could make Edgedancer very potent catapult alternatives...imagine sliding car size boulders across the ground as though they are made of soap...through ranks of the enemy! :o 

I expect Kaladin will start doing something similar for his men once he starts using his gravity surge ..all of bridge four running about with a 3/4 lashing upwards (25% weight) making them run faster and jumping chasms ect.. ect

just my wild imagination at work maybe   :rolleyes: 

Anyway just my 2 cents  

I think it's unlikely to almost impossible that the soldiers are radiants in training. Brandon wouldn't make so many mistakes with the scene.

This was my post from another thread...disregard the part about my thought that it occurred through a bond (or that I thought the KR was a stoneward)- others have said the same thing could occur through division...but the rest of it relates directly to why they aren't KR in training.

It's a bit long to repost.

Explanation

Edited by vikorr

You can add to that post this quote from one of Kaladins scens in WoR

Holding Stormlight was like filling a wineskin—if you filled it to bursting and unstopped it, it would squirt out quickly, then slow to a trickle. Same with the Light.

• Chaos locked this topic