Words Of Radiance Back Cover Questions

Colateralwar

So, the back cover of Words of Radiance makes specific mention of five people: The Windrunner, The Lightweaver, The Bondsmith, The Explorer, and The Assassin.

Most of these are clear. Kaladin is the Windrunner, Shallan is the lightweaver, Dalinar is the bondsmith, and Szeth is the assassin. But I'm not sure who The Explorer is. I think it might be Eshonai, but I'm not quite sure. This has probably already been asked, but I couldn't find the answer so I thought I would ask.

I wondered about this too, but my conclusion was that Rysn could be the explorer, and I thought Jasnah or Eshonai a better fit. And of those two Eshonai.

Rysn isnt exploring, or fascinated with exploration as a character (at least that we've seen so far) she is training to become a master merchant and do her babsk proud. Her want to visit famous and exotic places of roshar was founded on visiting great tourist spots, places of great fame or comforts, but thoroughly we'll known. It doesn't seem to me that she has a natural want for exploration, but a naive want for wealth and prestige associated with exotic ports. However her interlude from WoR shows her growing up a bit.

Jasnah clearly wishes to know the. Truth of things, and leads her to a life of scholarly exploration, however it seems a stretch even to myself.

Eshonai's memories of first leaving her tribe and striking out into lands beyond the shattered plains, along with her desire to leave her position of authority and go explore Roshar and it's curious one-form humans speaks to me that from what we know she has the strongest case for being the explorer.

I also think the discovery of storm for will lead to some talks between Eshonai and the Alethi, hopefully Dalinar. But that's mostly hopes and speculations

I made a post like this myself and suggested Rysn to be the explorer. With chapter i read about her in WoR and from the little we saw of her in WoK i think she could be a strong possibility. The fact i the island creature gave her the stormlight sucking creature makes her a very interesting person. (sorry I don't remember what they call those). But it seems to me the popular vote is leaning toward Eshonia because in her chapter they mention the she explored before going to the shattered planes. My vote goes to one of those two. Leaning toward Rysn but that could be racist on my part being shes human and that makes me lean in her direction. But it would not surprise me if brandon threw the explorer in there as a parshendi so all the main roles aren't human. When i think about it like that it makes me think more then likely its gonna be Eshonia.

From my gut feeling I think Jasnah is the explorer.

Thing is, Jasnah travels because she wants to do research and Roshar doesn't have the internet, not for exploration's sake. Hers are more business trips than anything. On the other hand, Eshonai expressly states she wants the stupid war with the Alethi over with, so she could go around exploring the world. Also, the other four, Kaladin, Shallan, Szeth and Dalinar, all have their own flashback books in the first five book arc. So does Eshonai. It stands to reason that Eshonai would be the Explorer, she is the best fit.

I really hope it is Jasnah. Eshonai, I admit, is not a character I am looking forward to for any reason. She seems to me like a world building window for Brandon so far. Which is fine, but I haven't seen anything yet that I would consider main character material. Jasnah did travel from place to place before Shallan found her, and she does posses the Travel charge, so I'm guessing she is going to find a new means of getting around, and when she does, she will be allllllll over the place doing research and finding clues. That is my hope anyway. 

No offense to Eshonai! Just playing favorites!

I'm with the Eshonai = Explorer team. The bondsmith is the one that are mysterious to me. Some believe that are Dalinar but i don't believe in that very much =)

The Bondsmith, born in blood and death, striving to rebuild what was destroyed. 

The Bondsmith, born in blood and death

This just screams "Dalinar at the Tower battle" to me.  That is where he starts to act decisively.

Interestingly, he gives up a Shardblade, but may be becoming more strongly a Radiant.

Giving up a Shardblade was also significant in the early evolution of Syl and Kaladin's relationship. 

I'm with the Eshonai = Explorer team. The bondsmith is the one that are mysterious to me. Some believe that are Dalinar but i don't believe in that very much =)

This just screams "Dalinar at the Tower battle" to me.  That is where he starts to act decisively.

Interestingly, he gives up a Shardblade, but may be becoming more strongly a Radiant.

Giving up a Shardblade was also significant in the early evolution of Syl and Kaladin's relationship. 

Or his life as the Blackthorn in general.

It screams Dalinar after... something happening in WoR :)

Interestingly enough, the Cover Flap also mentions 5 people. Compare the back to the cover flap and it seems pretty straight-forward. (spoilers for length)

The Windrunner, lost in a shattered land, balanced upon the boundary between  vengeance and honor.

Expected by his enemies to die the miserable death of a military slave, Kaladin survived to be given command of the royal bodyguards, a controversial first for a low-status darkeyes.  Now he must protect the king and Dalinar from every common peril as well as the distinctly uncommon threat of the Assassin, all while secretly struggling to master remarkable new powers that are somehow linked to his honorspren, Syl.

The Lightweaver, slowly being consumed by her past, searching for the lie that she must become.

Brilliant but troubled Shallan strives along a parallel path. Despite being broken in ways she refuses to acknowledge, she bears a terrible burden: to somehow prevent the return of the legendary Voidbringers and their civilization-ending Desolation. The secrets she needs can be found at the Shattered Plains, but even arriving there proves more difficult than she imagined.

Now the Assassin is active again, murdering rulers all over the world, using his baffling powers to thwart every bodyguard and elude all pursuers. Among his prime targets is Highprince Dalinar, widely considered the power behind the Alethi throne. His leading role in the war would seem reason enough, but the Assassin’s master has much deeper motives.

The Explorer, straddling the fates of two peoples, forced to  choose between slow death and a terrible betrayal of all she believes.

Meanwhile, at the heart of the Shattered Plains, the Parshendi are making an epochal decision. Hard pressed by years of Alethi attacks, their numbers ever shrinking, they are convinced by their war leader, Eshonai, to risk everything on a desperate gamble with the very supernatural forces they once fled. The consequences for Parshendi and humans alike—indeed, for Roshar itself—are as dangerous as they are incalculable.

And the Assassin has arrived.

Six years ago, the Assassin in White, a hireling of the inscrutable Parshendi, assassinated the Alethi king on the very night a treaty between men and Parshendi was being celebrated. So began the Vengeance Pact among the highprinces of Alethkar and the War of Reckoning against the Parshendi.

To me, this pretty much seals the Eshonai = Explorer and Dalinar = Bondsmith questions.

Now the Assassin is active again, murdering rulers all over the world, using his baffling powers to thwart every bodyguard and elude all pursuers. Among his prime targets is Highprince Dalinar, widely considered the power behind the Alethi throne. His leading role in the war would seem reason enough, but the Assassin’s master has much deeper motives.

So Mr. T knows Dalinar wants to "unite them" ...

Edited by marianmi

Szeth's character, like Shallan's, is interesting now. Their current conflict makes them extremely enjoyable to follow. However, I fear that both of their back stories, while intriguing, will pale in comparison to their current situations (this goes more for Shallan than Szeth). But we will see, and I have every hope that these prove empty fears.

Szeth's character, like Shallan's, is interesting now. Their current conflict makes them extremely enjoyable to follow. However, I fear that both of their back stories, while intriguing, will pale in comparison to their current situations (this goes more for Shallan than Szeth). But we will see, and I have every hope that these prove empty fears.

I think both of them will have super interesting back stories. I think Dalinar's will be the boring one. Shallan we learn about how she got her shardblade (The little we learn from the shallan chapter already has me super intrigued). The Szeth we learn what makes him Truthless and more about the Shin.