Pet Peeves

Sarcasm

Just now, Orlion Determined said:

Wow, is that the prevalent theory on the purpose of Elantris? Because that would be awesome, in my opining.

I just made the connection of the weird road system forming a complex glyph which does magic. Kansas's glyph keeps an Elder God slumbering, Elantris's strengthens the Dor (and probably some other things as there are more Aons in the streets).

BTW, is that Kansas's/Elantris's right? It seems weird. The word ends in s and then the 's? How do you even pronounce that?

7 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

I just made the connection of the weird road system forming a complex glyph which does magic. Kansas's glyph keeps an Elder God slumbering, Elantris's strengthens the Dor (and probably some other things as there are more Aons in the streets).

BTW, is that Kansas's/Elantris's right? It seems weird. The word ends in s and then the 's? How do you even pronounce that?

I mark it as correct.  And yes, I also pronounce the extra 's'.  There are some people who disagree with this.  I think they are wrong. :P

4 minutes ago, Oversleep said:

It depends on the style. I was taught to write it without the 's' (so Elantris') but that can cause confusion because that's what you also do with possession by a plural noun (like cats' legal rights in Istanbul). 

For the sake of communication, and art, one can shuffle things around. The Hope of Elantris. The Kansas city's glyphs. The Elantrian streets.

Invested Beard is correct as far as spelling goes, however, I don't think there is a problem with pronouncing the S.  The plural of Jones would be Jones', as an example, but it's pronounced Joneses.  In conclusion:  I have no idea what's going on with these S's. (Pronounced EsEz?  Should that just be S'?)  :P  

5 hours ago, The Invested Beard said:

Words that end in an S when marked as possessive are simply marked with an apostrophe. I'm sure there's an exception, but that's the prevalent rule.

True.  And when it's plural, that's how I write it. (Though I still pronounce the extra possessive 's'.)

However, when it comes to my husband's name, James...well, something that belongs to him is James's.  Because even though his name ends with an 's', there's only one of him.

People driving their cars in the rain with their headlights off. It's been raining all day here and I've seen waaaay too many people driving without headlights. It's not just the law, people; it's common sense that will help you avoid getting KILLED when another driver doesn't see you because you were too stupid to turn your lights on. <_<

My English teacher. 

Her middle name, (and I hope to Cthulhu that it is not her given name) is Moonchild.

She never stops talking about her pugs (and I love pugs! But this woman takes it too far!) 

And she's terrible to my close friend, who is in the class with me. 

Edited by bleeder

2 hours ago, Cognizantastic said:

So, the school's new psychology teacher (who has no degree in it and has never taught it before) is teaching about dream analysis as if it's an empirically verified thing in psychology.

I gently pointed it out to him, and he just said, "It's my first year teaching psychology; give me a break".

Dude. You teach a science. Facts matter. :mellow:

We talked about it in my Psychology class too, but I don't recall there being a "this is 100% proven science" bent to it. That's mildly unsettling. :mellow: 

The one thing that absolutely drives me up the wall is when people pull up beside me when I'm trying to do a left turn. There's this one particular junction between my apartment and college where there's the main road, and the road I live on. I can pull in between the two traffic flows and wait for an opening, but sometimes some moron will pull up right beside me.

Then I'm forced to wait for a longer time because I can't see because they're blocking my way argh.

As far as things that can seriously ruin my mood in the mornings, this is pretty close to topping the list, and it's absolutely annoying.

9 hours ago, Cognizantastic said:

So, the school's new psychology teacher (who has no degree in it and has never taught it before) is teaching about dream analysis as if it's an empirically verified thing in psychology.

I gently pointed it out to him, and he just said, "It's my first year teaching psychology; give me a break".

Dude. You teach a science. Facts matter. :mellow:

No degree. Knows nothing about psychology.  Eek. Is this high school?

6 hours ago, bleeder said:

My English teacher. 

Her middle name, (and I hope to Cthulhu that it is not her given name) is Moonchild.

She never stops talking about her pugs (and I love pugs! But this woman takes it too far!) 

And she's terrible to my close friend, who is in the class with me. 

You hope to Cthulhu?! :o

2 minutes ago, bleeder said:

Maybe they convert the men's room into a studio apartment or something. 

A studio apartment with plenty of toilets.  

I don't know. But still.

"And here we have the bedroom. Note the lovely tile floors and close proximity to the bathroom." 
"Hm. What about a kitchen?" 
"Well, there's, um, sinks! So you can have water! And I think there's an outlet where you can plug a hot plate…." 
"No, a kitchen. With counters and a stove and a fridge. I like to cook." 
"There's another toilet! You can make toilet wine!" 
"…." 
*sigh* "You want me to show you the hole out back of the Ralph's?" 

Just now, TwiLyghtSansSparkles said:

"And here we have the bedroom. Note the lovely tile floors and close proximity to the bathroom." 
"Hm. What about a kitchen?" 
"Well, there's, um, sinks! So you can have water! And I think there's an outlet where you can plug a hot plate…." 
"No, a kitchen. With counters and a stove and a fridge. I like to cook." 
"There's another toilet! You can make toilet wine!" 
"…." 
*sigh* "You want me to show you the hole out back of the Ralph's?" 

Right as you posted that, Cecil mentioned the hole out back of the Ralph's on the episode I'm listening to.