3d-model of an Axehound

Taln

Pretty flippin' cool.

No selling copies without talking to the boss, and even then I think we'd want to have a serious talk about revising the model... the anatomical inconsistencies for a fan-project are negligible, but when we start talking licensing, I start actually caring.

Soo...

I finally got the model printed.

It took some time to clean up the model and make sure the thinner parts wouldn't break, but here it is =)

attachicon.gifmodel_1.jpg

attachicon.gifmodel_2.jpg

attachicon.gifmodel_3.jpg

attachicon.gifmodel_4.jpg

attachicon.gifmodel_5.jpg

attachicon.gifmodel_6.jpg

BEAUTTTTTTTTYYYYYYYY.....

That is one of the most beautiful things I have seen. Thank you.

Do you mind if I make that my avatar? It's really well done.

No problem. Feel free to do so  ;)

By printing and shipping them for a fee to those who beg. (Hope, hope, hope)

Oh ok. Sounds complicated and liable to breaking.

Actually, that wouldn't be a problem. I don't have a 3d-printer myself, so I ordered it on shapeways, but copyright really could be an issue here.

Another matter is the price. I paid about 190€ for this model, which is not exactly cheap for a model this size.

post-8978-0-06489200-1393267087_thumb.jp

Yeah selling them without a license from Brandon is a HUGE no-no.  This is really cool though, are you going to be seeing Brandon while he's on tour?  Because I'm sure he would love to have something like this.

I'd love to, but since I live in austria, it's kind of a long way  :(

@ Iredomi :

Thank you.  :)

This is incredibly beautiful. Even with the blurring that a 3D printer causes, the level of detail is breathtaking. I'd love to have one, but I'm not quite willing to pump out the cash for it, and I don't want a legal mess descending upon my head. Nice job, though. It's wonderful to see Brandon's world come alive in such a fantastic way.

Actually, that wouldn't be a problem. I don't have a 3d-printer myself, so I ordered it on shapeways, but copyright really could be an issue here.

Another matter is the price. I paid about 190€ for this model, which is not exactly cheap for a model this size.

Wow, that is a lot more expensive than I expected. But it is so cool!

Only so much you can do in terms of anatomical accuracy for a 3d printed model. Too fancy, and it's messy and expensive; too thin, it falls apart. Canon may need to be sacrificed for feasibility.

Aye, and detail is difficult at small scale. Mini design is one of those things I've been known to do when the rent is due. Privateer and Wizkids. It's actually pretty crazy what level of detail they can pull off with professional casting, but with 3D printing I think we're still working our way down. Get there eventually  though, I'm sure.

It's just little details that I didn't bring up earlier because the artist had already put in a lot of excellent work, and expressed that they weren't interested in messing about more with the sculpt. I'm not inclined to be pushy about fan-art being "accurate" (insofar as anything Isaac or I design should be taken as gospel). I want fans to have fun, and I feel like when fans make fan-art, they should be free to revise designs as makes them happy and fits their vision, especially if they're not conflicting with WoB.

If nothing else, It re-emphasizes that I oughtta sit down one evening and do up some more sketches of Axehounds and Chulls and so forth, and then let 'em loose so fans can have better reference than just the one drawing. If that's something folks have an interest in (and I reckon they might), and it don't cross the boss, then it's something I'd like to do.

Edited by Inkthinker

Aye, and detail is difficult at small scale. Mini design is one of those things I've been known to do when the rent is due. Privateer and Wizkids. It's actually pretty crazy what level of detail they can pull off with professional casting, but with 3D printing I think we're still working our way down. Get there eventually  though, I'm sure.

It's just little details that I didn't bring up earlier because the artist had already put in a lot of excellent work, and expressed that they weren't interested in messing about more with the sculpt. I'm not inclined to be pushy about fan-art being "accurate" (insofar as anything Isaac or I design should be taken as gospel). I want fans to have fun, and I feel like when fans make fan-art, they should be free to revise designs as makes them happy and fits their vision, especially if they're not conflicting with WoB.

If nothing else, It re-emphasizes that I oughtta sit down one evening and do up some more sketches of Axehounds and Chulls and so forth, and then let 'em loose so fans can have better reference than just the one drawing. If that's something folks have an interest in (and I reckon they might), and it don't cross the boss, then it's something I'd like to do.

New "official art". one word.

HERO =)

Very kind gesture  =)

This is the most-upvoted thread ever, right? Brandons own posts only got 30s (partly because of timing I'd guess; if he did them during a high-traffic time like now they'd be higher), and I've only very rarely seen a few images that got 30s. I've never seen a 40 before!

how about we start pushing the Sanderson store to sell official well done items like this? I mean really. That is awesome and while an axe-hound might not be one I buy, these are very much the kind of items I'd like to buy from the store.

Edited by beef man

holy rust this is awesome. i would love to 3D print it. i think CPL has an open access 3D Printer that i could use.... and then when Brandon is in town i could get him to sign it too! /dreams

edit: seeing that you actually did print it, would you mind sharing the file? i looked a bit into the cost of printing it at CPL and it appears free so i'd love to go down there and print one off for myself if you don't mind. its awesome!

Edited by SpringWarmCold