Trell and FTL travel [Shadows of Self Spoilers]

stonetwotwo

I posted this in the a Mistborn thread and it was suggested to make this it's own topic.

I've just finished Shadows of Self and became intrigued by Trell. In the old religions, Trelagism, the people beleived the night was sacred and they mapped the stars, a direct link to space travel perhaps. Brandon also mentioned that a piece of the space travel puzzle is missing. Could the missing piece be the powers of a third Shard since there could be three shards on the planet? The myths also say that Trell had a brother, linked to the sun, so perhaps there is a fourth shard on the planet.

If someone has discussed this before then please let me know.  

Unfortunately, we know that there's only the two Shards on Scadrial (Ruin + Preservation). But nothing says a third Shard couldn't end up on the planet, if, say, Odium were freed from Roshar or something like that. It's an interesting idea.

That said, I don't know if any Shard would go directly to Scadrial. It seems like it would be pretty risky against Harmony.

Based on the timelines, I don't think anyone has FTL travel in the Cosmere as of Shadows of Self. We don't know much about what Taldain's population is doing, and we do know White Sand was a long time before Shadows of Self, so perhaps they managed it. But it seems odd that if someone had FTL that our only sign of it is some legends of Trell from a long time ago.

Yeah, perhaps not the best title. Titles are not a strength of mine.

I am more interested in other shards on the world contributing to the magic system in a new manner that enables people of the planet to advance into the space age.

Perhaps how the religion holds the secret to determining where to travel to, what stars to visit, etc.

Moogle, at the end of Shadows of Self there is a new metal that is neither of Ruin or Preservation. Perhaps there is not a Shard, but another godlike metal is on the planet. Am I mistaken about the metal?

Moogle, at the end of Shadows of Self there is a new metal that is neither of Ruin or Preservation. Perhaps there is not a Shard, but another godlike metal is on the planet. Am I mistaken about the metal?

You're right that it comes from a different Shard. We know that much, and we know that we "know of" the Shard it came from via WoB.

But the Shard itself hasn't come to the planet as far as we know, it just found a way to get its metal to Scadrial/influence people on Scadrial to use it.

Still, an Allomancer/Feruchemist should be able to use the metal and do interesting things. Maybe you're right and it can lead to FTL... though I don't know that there's enough of a supply of the metal to make more than one spaceship.

Ok, but Sazed did know about the religion, so there had to be contact before the Final Empire. Trell, and perhaps his other half, might have been on the planet before. Has there been other information about how how Sazed knew of Trelagism? As far as I know he had no off world knowledge before becoming Harmony.

It does seem like Harmony is being set up to have a little scuffle with something and a new/returning shard would bring/return powers to Scadrial.

Edited by stonetwotwo

Ok, but Sazed did know about the religion, so there had to be contact before the Final Empire. Trell, and perhaps his other half, might have been on the planet before. Has there been other information about how how Sazed knew of Trelagism? As far as I know he had no off world knowledge before becoming Harmony.

There's another possibility, which is that Trelagism evolved entirely on Scadrial (not that I think it's likely), and our new foreign Shard has co-opted the religion for its own purposes.

As for how Sazed knew of it... I don't see there as being any great mystery to it? It was practiced before TLR used the Well, and so the Keepers made sure there was a record of it.

Ok, so how would a Shard get new metal on Scadrial without migrating to the planet, or at least putting a decent amount of investiture into it? After all, it's Scadrial's SDNA that makes metal such a big deal there. I don't suppose it's possible for a Shard to create a god metal away from Scadrial.

Ok, so how would a Shard get new metal on Scadrial without migrating to the planet, or at least putting a decent amount of investiture into it? After all, it's Scadrial's SDNA that makes metal such a big deal there. I don't suppose it's possible for a Shard to create a god metal away from Scadrial.

Shardblades seem like a decent enough counter-example. They're basically god metal. But I agree, you wouldn't expect every god to end up with a physical form relating to metal... or would you?

I'm fairly certain the metal was planted by a savvy world hopper. And I doubt every shard manifests as a metal naturally, but if it wanted to I'm sure it could. And really, it wouldn't be hard to have another Shard visit Scadrial, at least in part. WoB stated that if he chose to, Harmony could "will himself to another planet," but that it would probably have some pretty drastic consequences. Well...if a shard visited after Preservation trapped Ruin, nothing would really be around to stop it..Heck, if I were scouting a planet, I'd just send a splinter, get a feeling for it, and then recall the splinter. This would be dangerous if either of the 'native' shards were in any position to do anything about it...but they were too busy fighting each other.

So yeah...Preservation and Ruin having their slap fight...A splinter shows up, calls itself Trell, goes away. Sends a worldhopper later for SoS timeline. There we go..This solves FTL for most of it, since it would just be "willing itself" there for the first half, and most likely travelling through the cognitive realm in the second half.

Ugouka I think is on the right track. We don't know where the metal came from, but judging from the kandra's erratic behavior and sorry apparent anger, I don't think it's a stretch to think it could be a sliver of odium. Harmony doesn't even know what the metal is, and Odium is plenty strong enough to send a bit of his will to another planet. Just a thought.

Well, the only big issue with Odium doing anything is that he is confined to Roshar because of Honor. While that doesn't stop him from sending an agent, I doubt that he would tick off Harmony this early while he still has Cultivation and Radiants to deal with. I'm fairly certain it's a new (to published works) player.

Well keep in mind that he is only held to Roshar in the SA timeline. SoS takes place centuries later, who knows if he is still confined or not? At least to my knowledge, I haven't read all the WoB to know for sure

SA takes place around the same time as Mistborn Era 2, actually.

http://coppermind.net/wiki/Chronology

I believe, though I'm not 100%, that Hoid disappears briefly at the end of WoK to head to the wedding in AoL. He arrives back on Roshar a while later in WoR.

SA takes place around the same time as Mistborn Era 2, actually.

http://coppermind.net/wiki/Chronology

I believe, though I'm not 100%, that Hoid disappears briefly at the end of WoK to head to the wedding in AoL. He arrives back on Roshar a while later in WoR.

That chronology page is out of date and needs to be updated. Brand actually mentioned during the sos tour that Era 2 takes place after stormlight 5 at the earliest, and may take place after stormlight entirely but he hasn't nailed down the timeline well enough to know yet.

That chronology page is out of date and needs to be updated. Brand actually mentioned during the sos tour that Era 2 takes place after stormlight 5 at the earliest, and may take place after stormlight entirely but he hasn't nailed down the timeline well enough to know yet.

That's... confusing. But thanks for the correction. I'll go try and look up that WoB...

• Chaos locked this topic