Real-life "Soonie Pups" (Mistborn Era 2 Teddy Bears)

KidWayne

I'm going to give Peter a little while to respond. I don't want to be pushy, I just want to do as much as I can to make this happen without being annoying to anyone.

If there are further concerns about the enterprise, we could certainly discuss the concept of a 17th Shard-coordinated kickstarter/indiegogo/crowdfund. iIt could certainly be done.

If there are further concerns about the enterprise, we could certainly discuss the concept of a 17th Shard-coordinated kickstarter/indiegogo/crowdfund. iIt could certainly be done.

Yeah, it's an option, but we would still need permission. For the same reason that you can't just go out and sell mickey mouse dolls you made in your garage (without being sued by Disney), you can't make merchandise without the intellectual property owner's consent. If December rolls around and I haven't heard anything, I'll try to touch base with Team Sanderson some other way.

Yeah, it's an option, but we would still need permission. For the same reason that you can't just go out and sell mickey mouse dolls you made in your garage (without being sued by Disney), you can't make merchandise without the intellectual property owner's consent.

That was a given.  I simply meant that if Team Sanderson was concerned about the initial capital to put into the making of these Soonie Pup Popple amalgams, crowdfunding could assist with that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I wanted to let everyone know that I have been in touch with Team Sanderson and they have – after what I am convinced is a genuine, good faith effort to consider all the relevant factors – decided not to produce and sell Soonie Pups. Here is the response (shared with permission) that I received from Isaac Stewart (Brandon's art director):

"What it boils down to are the realities of how many of these we think we can sell. Your [business proposal] shows breaking even at a higher number of units sold than what we normally sell over the lifetime of most of our products. Books are our bestsellers, and it normally takes us at least a year to move that many books of any one title. Even if we could break even in a year or two, that doesn't make good business sense for us. There are a lot of factors that could change that. For example, if a movie is ever made, then the market for something like this could grow considerably. But for right now, we'll have to respectfully say no to the project."

So, there will be no Soonie Pups in the near term. However, I wanted to say thank you to each of you who expressed your support for the project here!

Edited by KidWayne

One final update...

I asked about the possibility of acquiring rights to make Soonie Pups as part of a Kickstarter. The answer was basically that merchandising rights are a part of the movie rights which can't be reassigned. So, the answer to the kickstarter appears to be a "no" unless Team Sanderson completely gives up on making a Mistborn movie. Personally, I'd rather see the Cosmere Cinematic Universe happen so I'm putting the Soonie Pup project to bed.

EDIT: corrected grammar/syntax error

Edited by KidWayne

• Chaos locked this topic