Real-life "Soonie Pups" (Mistborn Era 2 Teddy Bears)

KidWayne

Damnation. I was hoping this thread was about progress towards getting soonie pups. Instead it's another chorus of unfulfilled longing.

WANT.

I actually just finished writing up my informal proposal to Peter Ahlstrom (Brandon's assistant). I have done a fair bit of research on how to bring a real product to market, and I've included some of that in my proposal. So, hopefully that will yield some fruit.

@ EVERYONE ELSE -- Please keep posting replies to this topic. Your "I want a Soonie Pup" and "I would buy a Soonie Pup" comments are the strongest argument I can make to Team Sanderson in favor of actually doing this. However, only post it if you mean it! If Team Sanderson decides to do this, it will require a significant up-front investment on their part. So, they need assurance that there are customers willing to buy these things before they have them made.

I'd guess because either T-shirts are ubiquitous and disposable or they have significant meaning but limited avenues for use. I couldn't very well wear a Sander-shirt to work for example.

Plush toys are more likely to have inherent emotional value and don't have significant limits on use. I mean, I couldn't take my soonie pup to work either but it wouldn't really interfere with me enjoying it.

How on earth do you make it two sided AND plushie? Will there be anything to squish? Because it won't be nearly as good if it doesn't squish. 

My kids have a Yoshi (from Super Mario Bros.) plushy-backpack. It has a zipper down the back and a pocket to put stuff in.

If you made the pocket sufficiently large, I could see someone turning the thing inside out. I mean, it would be ugly and lumpy if you did so; fortunately that's exactly the shape of a Mistwraith! So, it's definitely possible to make a reversible plush toy with plenty to squish :)

I think it could work if you made the point it reverses from in the shoulder (c'mon, it has to be) and make the limbs more rigid to provide lumpiness. The Kandra/mistwraith fabric would have to have striated patterns to simulate muscles and embroidered bones. Don't ask me to make these, as I have not the skill, just ideas.

Guys, it's not a matter of not knowing how many sales they'll have, it's a matter of actually having the time and resources (including man-power) to make them and package them and ship them. Such has been said in a couple of the signing reports from this past tour. It's what he said in Michigan.

Edited by Blaze1616

Guys, it's not a matter of not knowing how many sales they'll have, it's a matter of actually having the time and resources (including man-power) to make them and package them and ship them. Such has been said in a couple of the signing reports from this past tour. It's what he said in Michigan.

Well, I sent a PM to Mr. Alstrom on 11/03/2015 with a sincere business proposal.

I laid out potential manufacturers, break-even points, as well as potential costs & profits. More to the point, I offered to lend Team Sanderson as much of my personal labor and professional expertise (as an accountant and business consultant) as they are willing to accept for free***.

*** Just in case someone important reads this post, I am going to qualify the "for free" part a little. I can offer my expertise and a good chunk of time for free, but my wife would kill me if I made an ongoing/long-term offer of free labor. So I'm offering to help get this off the ground for free, but I would ask for modest compensation if I were asked to personally run the entire supply chain from manufacture to distribution (which is a service I am confident that I would be able to provide; I just assumed that Brandon already had some kind of distribution system in place since he runs the store on his website).

Edited by KidWayne

Well, I sent a PM to Mr. Alstrom on 11/03/2015 with a sincere business proposal.

I laid out potential manufacturers, break-even points, as well as potential costs & profits. More to the point, I offered to lend Team Sanderson as much of my personal labor and professional expertise (as an accountant and business consultant) as they are willing to accept for free***.

*** Just in case someone important reads this post, I am going to qualify the "for free" part a little. I can offer my expertise and a good chunk of time for free, but my wife would kill me if I made an ongoing/long-term offer of free labor. So I'm offering to help get this off the ground for free, but I would ask for modest compensation if I were asked to personally run the entire supply chain from manufacture to distribution (which is a service I am confident that I would be able to provide; I just assumed that Brandon already had some kind of distribution system in place since he runs the store on his website).

Now that is a worthwhile thing to discuss. :)  You might be better off emailing Brandon using the form built into his site. Not sure if Peter even bothers with his PMs (I assume he gets a ton of them), but by using the email option you are guaranteed that someone from Dragonsteel will see it (probably not Peter initially).

Now that is a worthwhile thing to discuss. :)  You might be better off emailing Brandon using the form built into his site. Not sure if Peter even bothers with his PMs (I assume he gets a ton of them), but by using the email option you are guaranteed that someone from Dragonsteel will see it (probably not Peter initially).

I'm going to give Peter a little while to respond. I don't want to be pushy, I just want to do as much as I can to make this happen without being annoying to anyone.